Wisconsin is one of the states that does not have a single central online state repository for searching historical newspapers. Several states use the Library of Congress Chronicling America site as their main central online site for searching old newspapers and currently Wisconsin has a few newspapers available on that site. There are some free online newspapers available on other sites and their are collections available on subscription sites. Below is a list of where the titles are stored and the link so that you can access them.
There are over 3,400 newspapers that have been published in the Badger State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are quite a few that are indeed available. So go for it - find your Wisconsin ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated June, 2020; recently added links are in BOLD)
Chronicling America - Wisconsin Newspapers
- Ashland, Wisconsin, 1916-19?? - Ashland chronicle. [volume]
- Baraboo, Wis., 1884-1911 - The Baraboo news.
- Baraboo, Wis., 1912-197? - Baraboo weekly news.
- Chicago, Ill., 1867-1878 - Pokrok. [volume]
- Dodgeville, Wis., 1862-current - Dodgeville chronicle.
- Edgerton, Wis., 1877-1950 - The Wisconsin tobacco reporter.
- Grand Rapids [i.e. Wisconsin Rapids], Wis., 1857-1923 - Wood County reporter.
- Hurley, Wis., 1904-191? - La Nostra terra.
- Hurley, Wis., 191?-1913 - Our land = La Nostra terra.
- Hurley, Wis., 1913-1950 - Iron County news.
- La Crosse, Wis., 1856-1921 - Nord stern. [volume]
- Ladysmith, Rusk County, Wis., 1907-1927 - Ladysmith news-budget.
- Ladysmith, Wis., 1905-1905 - The Ladysmith news.
- Ladysmith, Wis., 1905-1906 - The Ladysmith news and Ingram news.
- Ladysmith, Wis., 1906-1907 - Ladysmith news.
- Madison, Wis., 1916-1925 - The Wisconsin weekly blade.
- Manitowoc, Wis., 1859-1932 - The Manitowoc pilot.
- Manitowoc, Wis., 1866-1878 - The Manitowoc tribune.
- Milwaukee, Wis., 1861-1890 - Der Herold.
- Milwaukee, Wis., 1881-1901 - Zgoda = Unity. [volume]
- Milwaukee, Wis., 1890-1898 - Milwaukee Herold.
- Milwaukee, Wis., 1906-1912 - Der Sonntagsbote.
- Milwaukee, Wis., 1912-1922 - Der Sonntagsbote und der Seebote.
- Mineral Point, Wis., 1847-1854 - Wisconsin tribune.
- Mineral Point, Wis., 1854-1858 - Mineral Point tribune.
- Mineral Point, Wis., 1859-1868 - Mineral Point weekly tribune.
- Mineral Point, Wis., 1869-1938 - Mineral Point tribune.
- Mineral Point, Wis., 1877-1938 - Iowa County democrat.
- New York Mills, Minn., 188?-1934 - Uusi kotimaa.
- Odanah, Ashland Co., Wis., 1912-1916 - The Odanah star.
- Superior, Wis., 1870-1912 - The Superior times.
- Viroqua, Wis., 1865-1955 - Vernon County censor.
- Wabeno, Wis., 1898-1925 - Northern Wisconsin advertiser.
- Washburn, Wis., 1896-1976 - The Washburn times.
- Watertown, Jefferson County, Wis., 1906-1908 - Watertown weekly leader.
- Watertown, Jefferson County, Wis., 1908-1909 - Weekly Watertown leader.
- Watertown, Jefferson County, Wis., 1909-1911 - Watertown leader.
- Watertown, Jefferson County, Wis., 1912-1917 - Watertown weekly leader.
- Watertown, Wis., 1860-1906 - Watertown republican.
- Watertown, Wis., 1917-1919 - The Watertown news.
- Wausau, Wis., 1896-1940 - Wausau pilot.
- Wauwatosa, Wis., 1900-1948 - Wauwatosa news.
Google News Archive
- Blair - The Blair Press
- Milwaukee - The Milwaukee Journal
- Milwaukee - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Milwaukee - The Milwaukee Sentinel
Archive of Wisconsin Newspapers (Wisconsin residents only)
- Amery Free Press (1932-1949 & 2005-current)
- Baraboo News Republic (1858-1886 & 2005-current)
- Belleville Recorder (1887-1923)
- Black River Falls, Badger State Banner (1868-1926)
- Black River Falls, Banner Journal (1926-1976 & 2005-current)
- Black River Falls, Jackson County Banner (1867-1868)
- Black River Falls, Jackson County Journal (1889 - 1926)
- Black River Falls, Melrose Chronicle (1896 - 1924)
- Brodhead Independent (1861-1900)
- Evansville Badger (1898-1906)
- Evansville Enterprise (1895-1911)
- Evansville Review (1899-1932 & 2005-current)
- Evansville Tribune (1899-1908)
- Florence Mining News (1881-1894 & 2005-current)
- Fort Atkinson, Daily Jefferson County Union (1870-1918 & 2005-current)
- Hartland News and Dairyman (1894-1920)
- Kiel, Tri-County Record (1918-1974)
- Marinette and Peshtigo Eagle (1871-1896)
- Mukwonago Chief - (1889-1926 & 2005 to 2017)
- New London Press/Republican/Times (1879-1906)
- Pittsville, Yellow River Pilot - (1897-1904)
- Prairie du Chien Leader (1857-1860)
- Prairie du Chien Union (1864-1896)
- Prairie du Chien, Courier Press (1852-1922 & 2005-current)
- Rib Lake Herald (1902-1920)
- Stanley Republican (1965-1984 & 2005-current)
- Waupun Times (1857-1903)
County and Library Collections:
Rice Lake Public Library
- Rice Lake Chronotype
- Rice Lake Chronotype And The Rice Lake Times
- Rice Lake Chronotype And Rice Lake Independent
- Barron County Chronotype
- Rice Lake Times
- The Barron County Chronotype
- The Chronotype
- The Rice Lake Chronotype
Chippewa Falls Public Library
- Chippewa Falls Democrat
- Chippewa Herald
- Chippewa County Independent
- Chippewa Union And Times
- Daily Independent
- Chippewa Journal Tribune
Kilbourn Public Library
- Wisconsin Dells Events
- Kilbourn Weekly Events
- Mirror Gazette
- Dells Events
- Wisconsin Mirror
- The Kilbourn Weekly Illustrated Events
- Kilbourn City Guard
- Illustrated Events
- Kilbourn City Mirror
- The Telegraph Courier
Menomonie Public Library
- Dunn County News
- Dunn County Lumberman
Crandon Public Library
- Forest Republican
- Forest Echo
- Northern Citizen
- Forest Leaves
- North Crandon Reporter
- Forest County Chief
- Forest County Spy
Irving Young Memorial Library
- Whitewater Register
- The Whitewater Register
- The Whitewater Gazette
- The Whitewater Press
- The Gazette
- The Whitewater Chronicle
- Whitewater Gazette
- Whitewater Press
- The Weekly Gazette
- The Chronicle-Extra
Elroy Public Library
- County Line
- County Line Connection
- Elroy Chronicle
- Elroy Head Light
- Elroy Kendall Wilton Tribune Keystone
- Elroy Leader
- Elroy Leader Tribune
- Elroy Tribune
- Elroy Tribune And Plain Talker
- Elroy Union
- Juneau County Argus
- Juneau County Chronicle
- Juneau County Plain Talker
- Keystone Reporter
- Messenger of Juneau County
- Plain Talker
- Trail Communities Messenger
- Tribune Keystone
- Wisconsin Statesman
Algoma Public Library Newspaper Archives
- Ahnapee Record
- Algoma Herald
- Algoma Press
- Algoma record
- Algoma Record Herald
Brandon Public Library
Door County Library Newspaper Archive
- Door County Advocate 1862-1897
- Door County Advocate 1918-June 1979
- Door County Democrat 1893-1918
- Door County News 1914-1939
- Port Light 1943-1945
- The Advocate 1897-1912
- The Democrat 1892-1895
- The Expositor 1873-1877
- The Expositor Independent 1877-1880
- The Independent 1886-1890
- The Republican 1890-1892
- The Sturgeon Bay Advocate 1912-1918
- Weekly Expositor Independent 1880-1886
Eau Claire - L.E. Phillips Memorial Library
- Eau Claire Argus
- Eau Claire Daily Argus
- Eau Claire Evening Free Press
- New North Wisconsin
- Eau Claire Free Press Weekly
- Eau Claire Leader
- Eau Claire Telegram
- Eau Claire Daily Telegram
- Eau Claire Daily Free Press
- Wisconsin Toiler
- Eau Claire Weekly Leader
- Eau Claire Daily Leader
- Eau Claire Weekly Telegram
- Eau Claire Evening Telegram
Lake Geneva Public Library newspaper indices
New London Public Library
Oconto County Newspapers
- Gillett Times
- Lena Enterprise
- Maple Valley Educator
- Oconto County Chronicle
- Oconto County Reporter
- Oconto County Reporter Enterprise
- Oconto County Reporter Enterprise-Enquirer
- Oconto County Times-Herald
- Oconto Falls Herald
- Oconto Lumberman
- Oconto Pioneer
- Suring Sun
- Union Farmer-Herald
Waukesha County Freeman Digital Archives
- Cutover Land Bulletin (1846–1922)
- Daily Freeman (1883–1890)
- The Daily Freeman and Republican (1890)
- The Evening Journal (1890)
- The Republican (1887)
- The Republican-Freeman (1888–1898)
- Waukesha County Democrat (1854–1875)
- Waukesha Daily Freeman (1882–1955)
- Waukesha Democrat (1848–1852)
- The Waukesha Freeman (1846–1945)
- Waukesha Freeman (1882–1883)
- Waukesha Freeman and Republican (1890)
- The Waukesha Journal (1889–1891)
- The Waukesha Plaindealer (1865–1873)
Waunakee Library Archives
Appleton High School - Appleton Carroll University Student Newspaper Collection - Waukesha
- Carroll College Student
- Carroll Echo
- New Perspective
- The Carroll Screamer (1903)
- The Pioneer Press (1925)
- The Voice (1962-1963)
- The Union (1967)
- The Flyer (1971-1972)
- The P (1990-1992)
- The Forum (1992-1993)
- Testify (2000-2003)
- The Paper (2003-2005)
- Amorphous (2004)
- Blueman's Daughter (2004)
- The Alternate Perspective (2008)
Miscellaneous Collections and Indexes:
UW-Stout Area Research Center Newspaper Index
- Barron County News-Shield
- Boyceville Press
- Chetek Alert
- Colfax Messenger
- Cumberland Advocate
- Dunn County News
- Dunn County Pictorial Messenger
- Durand Courier Wedge
- Durand Weekly Times
- Knapp News
- Menomonie Nordstern
- Menomonie Shopper
- Menomonie Times
- Pepin County Courier
- Pepin County Mirror
- Rice Lake Chronotype
- Rice Lake Leader
- Turtle Lake Bugle
- Turtle Lake Times
Independent Voices - Alternative Newspapers
- Amazon, The
- Bread & Roses
- Camp McCoy Defense Committee
- Conscription Newsletter
- Draft Call, The
- Draft News
- Draft Resistance Clearing House
- Madison Kaleidoscope
- NCC Worklist
- Sanity (Madison)
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Newspapers 1933-1942
- Blackwell - 604 News (Company 604)
- Blackwell - Birch Barker (Company 604)
- Blackwell - Burning Log (Company 604)
- Blackwell - Camp Blackwell Reveille (Company 604)
- Brule - Brule Review (Company 629)
- Camp McCoy - Headquarters Star (Company 0)
- Crandon - Six Forty Niner (Company 649)
- Elcho - Eagle (Company 657)
- Elcho - The Elcho Eagle (Company 657)
- Elcho - Woodchopper (Company 657)
- Fairchild - Globe Trotter (Company 2618)
- Fifield - Life Of Riley (Company 642)
- Highland - Highlander (Company 625)
- LaValle - Hilltop (Company 2668)
- Loretta - Loretta Ledger (Company 648)
- Loretta - Woodland Echoes (Company 648)
- Manitowish - Camp Mercer Monitor (Company 660)
- Manitowish - Camp Mercer Monitor (Company 660)
- Manitowish - The Mercer Monitor (Company 660)
- Milwaukee - Estabrook Echoes (Company 1699)
- Milwaukee - Skipper'S Scandals (Company 1699)
- Mountain - Bear Paw Scratchings (Company 635)
- Onalaska - Pioneer (Company 601)
- Phelps - Warvet (Company 1680)
- Richland Center - Camp Richland Center Journal (Company 1699)
- Richland Center - Weekly Journal (Company 1699)
- St. Croix Falls - Dalles Lake Crier (Company 633)
- Three Lakes - Camp Pine River News (Company 646)
- Three Lakes - Pine River News (Company 646)
- Tomahawk - Tommy Hawk (Company 1608)
- Townsend - Boot Lake Echo (Company 2619)
- Trempleau - Camp Perrot Zephyr (Company 2606)
- Trempleau - Marsh Camp News (Company 2606)
- Wabeno - Camp Himley Lake (Company 1655)
- Wabeno - Himley Lake (Company 1655)
- Wabeno - Himley Lake Ripples (Company 1655)
- West Salem - The Pioneer News (Company 601)
- West Salem - The Sunset (Company 601)
- West Salem - The Sunset (Company 601)
- Winter - Moose Call (Company 2617)
Western Wisconsin Civilian Conservation Corps Camp Newsletters
- Fairchild - Camp Fairchild
- Fairchild - Camp Globe
- Fifield - Camp Riley Creek
- Glen Flora - Camp Rusk
- Hayward - Camp Smith Lake
- Loretta - Camp Loretta
- Loretta - Chippewa Camp
- Nelson - Camp Nelson
- Perkinstown - Camp Perkinstown
- Phillips - Camp Sailor Lake
- Phillips - Camp Sheep Ranch
- Westboro - Camp Mondeaux
- Winter - Camp Sawyer
Small Town Papers
- The Blair Press Alma Center Blair, Wisconsin
- The Blair Press Taylor Blair, Wisconsin
- Edgerton Reporter - Edgerton
- Kenosha News -- Kenosha
The Olden Times - Wisconsin
Civil War Newspaper Articles, 1860-1865 (clippings)
Wisconsin Name Index
Wisconsin Obituaries, Local History and Biography Articles 1836-1948 (clippings)
Newspaper Abstracts - Wisconsin
For Obituary Indexes, transcriptions, and other death/obituary information from historic newspapers, please check out the Obituaries page.
Other Free Sites:
Appleton La Crosse Madison Milwaukee
- GPU News
- Gazeta Wisconsińska (1893-1895)
- Catholic Herald
- Milwaukee Catholic Herald
- The United States Miller
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 179 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Wisconsin Newspapers
There are currently 204 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - Wisconsin Newspapers
There are currently publications from about 200 Wisconsin cities and towns available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archives - Wisconsin
There are currently 209 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - Wisconsin
You also need to check out the Wisconsin Historical Society site, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to newspaper projects. If you are a Wisconsin state resident, check out Badger Link for newspaper resources as well.
Please note - even more may be available via a local library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspaper Links page on this website.
For other Free Wisconsin Links, click on the category of interest: