Utah has a sizable state-wide free online collection for searching historical newspapers and many other smaller collections. Many states use the Library of Congress Chronicling America site as their main central online site for searching old newspapers and currently Utah has quite a few newspapers also available on that site. There are free online newspapers available on other sites and there are collections available on subscription sites. Below is a list of where the titles are stored and the link so that you can access them.
There are almost 600 newspapers that have been published in the Beehive State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your Utah ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated June, 2020; recently added links are in BOLD)
Chronicling America - Utah
- American Fork 1903-1912 The Citizen.
- American Fork 1912-1979 American Fork citizen.
- Cedar City 1890-189? Iron County news.
- Cedar City 1893-1982 Iron County record.
- Coalville 1894-1923 The Coalville times.
- Garland 1906-191? The Garland globe.
- Garland 191?-1925 The Garland City globe.
- Great Salt Lake City 1859-1861 The Mountaineer.
- Great Salt Lake City 1867-1920 Deseret evening news.
- Lehi 1891-1917 The Lehi banner.
- Lehi 1913-1949 The Lehi sun.
- Logan 1902-1924 The Logan Republican.
- Mercur 1895-1913 The Mercur miner.
- Ogden City 1902-1910 The Ogden standard.
- Ogden City 1910-1913 The Evening standard.
- Ogden City 1913-1920 The Ogden standard.
- Ogden 1904-1910 The Morning examiner.
- Ogden 1910-191? The Morning standard.
- Ogden 1920-current The Ogden standard-examiner.
- Price 1895-1915 Eastern Utah advocate.
- Price 1915-1932 The Sun.
- Provo City 1891-1895 The Dispatch.
- Provo City 1898-1909 The Utah County Democrat.
- Provo City 1909-192? The Provo herald.
- Provo, City 1891-1895 The Evening dispatch.
- Provo 1904-1912 Deseret farmer.
- Salt Lake City 1870-1909 The Salt Lake herald.
- Salt Lake City 1899-1920 The Intermountain Catholic.
- Salt Lake City 1885-1887 Salt Lake evening Democrat.
- Salt Lake City 1890-current The Salt Lake tribune.
- Salt Lake City 1895-19?? The broad ax.
- Salt Lake City 1901-1908 Truth.
- Salt Lake City 1902-1902 The Inter-mountain farmer and ranchman.
- Salt Lake City 1902-1904 The Inter-mountain farmer [electronic resource].
- Salt Lake City 1902-1929 Goodwin's weekly : a thinking paper for thinking people.
- Salt Lake City 1909-1918 The Salt Lake herald-Republican.
- Spanish Fork 1902-current The Spanish Fork press.
- St. George 1878-1878 The union.
- St. George 1880-1882 The St. George union.
- St. George 1882-1898 The Union.
Google News Archive
- Salt Lake City - The Deseret News
- Salt Lake City - Deseret News Salt Lake Telegram
- Salt Lake City - Saturday Morning Deseret News
- Tremonton City - Bear River Valley Leader
Utah Digital Newspapers 1850-2010
- Beaver County Monitor
- Beaver County News
- Beaver Press
- Milford Monitor
- Milford News
- Southern Utah Times
- Southern Utah University Student Newspapers
- Southern Utonian
- Bear River Valley Leader
- Box Elder News
- Brigham City Bugler
- Corinne Journal Reporter
- Garland City Globe
- Garland Globe
- Tremont Times
- Tremonton Leader
- Cache American
- Cache Valley Clarion
- Logan Journal
- Logan Leader
- Logan Nation
- Logan Republican
- Manti Home Sentinel
- North Cache News
- Utah Journal
- Duchesne Courier
- Duchesne Eagle
- Duchesne Record
- Myton Free Press
- Roosevelt Standard
- Uintah Basin Record
- Uintah Basin Standard
- Uintah Chieftain
- Bingham Bulletin
- Bingham News
- Brighton Record
- Broad Ax
- Deseret Evening News
- Deseret Farmer
- Deseret News
- Deseret Weekly
- Enoch's Advocate
- Goodwin's Weekly
- Inter-Mountain Farmer
- Inter-Mountain Republican
- Intermountain Catholic
- Midvale Journal Sentinel
- Murray Eagle
- Progressive Opinion
- Salt Lake Community College Newspapers
- Salt Lake Democrat
- Salt Lake Herald-Republican
- Salt Lake Mining Review
- Salt Lake Telegram
- Salt Lake Times
- Salt Lake Tribune
- South High Scribe
- Southeast Independent
- Sugar House Bulletin
- Union Vedette
- Utah Daily Chronicle
- Utah Independent
- Utah Nippo
- Utah Reporter
- Valley Tan
- Western Light
- Westminster College Student Newspapers
- Woman's Exponent
- County Register
- Ephraim Enterprise
- Gunnison Gazette
- Gunnison Valley News
- Manti Messenger
- Manti Reporter
- Mt. Pleasant Pyramid
- San Pete Free Press
- American Fork Citizen
- Lehi Banner
- Lehi Free Press
- Lehi Sun
- Orem-Geneva Times
- Pleasant Grove News
- Pleasant Grove Review
- Provo Daily Enquirer
- Provo Daily Herald
- Provo Dispatch
- Provo Evening Herald
- Provo Semi-Weekly Herald
- Provo Sunday Herald
- Reservation News
- Spanish Fork Herald
- Spanish Fork Press
- Springville Herald
- Springville Independent
- Territorial Enquirer
- Timpanogos Times
- Utah County Democrat
- Utah Enquirer
- Ogden Daily Commercial
- Ogden Daily Standard
- Ogden Evening Standard
- Ogden Herald
- Ogden Junction
- Ogden Morning Examiner
- Ogden Semi-Weekly Junction
- Ogden Semi-Weekly Standard
- Ogden Standard-Examiner
- Ogden Sun
- Ogden Weekly Standard
- Weber Herald
County and Library Collections:
Brigham Young University - Harold B Lee Library Newspaper Collection
- 19th Century Mormon Article Newspaper Index
- BYU History Collections
- - Academic Review
- - The Banyan
- - Business Journal
- - The Normal
- - The White and Blue
- Daily Enquirer
- Deseret News
- Deseret News Extra
- Evening and Morning Star
- The Evening and the Morning Star
- The Evening and the Morning Star Extra
- Woman's Exponent
Merrill-Cazier Library Logan Historical Newspaper Collection (1879-1892 and 1893-1898)
- Logan Leader
- Utah Journal
- Logan Journal
Pioneer Online Library - Digital Utah
Utah State University Library Digital Archives (1871- 1954)
- Box Elder News 1904 - 1926
- Box Elder Report
- Corinne Daily Journal, 1871 - 1873
- Daily Corinne Reporter, 1871 - 1873
- Logan Leader (1879-1882)
- Utah Journal (1882-1889)
- Logan Journal (1889-1891)
- Journal (1892)
- Utah Journal 1893 - 1898
- Morgan County Independent
- Morgan County News
- Wever River Independent
Weber County Newspapers (Abstracts)
Brigham Young University - Provo
Miscellaneous Collections and Indexes:
Japanese-American Internment Camp Newspapers, 1942 to 1946
- Topaz Times (Topaz, Utah) 1942 to 1945
- Trek ([Topaz, Utah]) 1942 to 1943
- All Aboard (Topaz, Utah) 194?-194?
- Bussei Life (Topaz, Utah) 1943 to 1943
- Topaz Times
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Newspapers 1933-1942
- Castle Dale - Buckhorn Breeze (Company 529)
- Delta - Antelope Lookout (Company 482)
- Emery - Last Chance (Company 529)
- Emery - Last Chance Paper (Company 529)
- Emery - Last Chance Semi-Weekly (Company 529)
- Eureka - Jericho Daily Breeze (Company 288)
- Eureka - Jericho Journal (Company 288)
- Ferron - Chatter Box (Company 959)
- Ferron - Desert Breeze (Company 959)
- Green River - Desert Schooner (Company 298)
- Gunlock - Midget Tribune (Company 585)
- Hanksville - Desert Sun (Company 298)
- Jericho - Jericho Daily Breeze (Company 288)
- Manila - Hideout (Company 3544)
- Moab - Dalton Wells Daily (Company 234)
- Moab - Desert'S Silence (Company 561)
- Moab - Longhorn (Company 234)
- Mt. Pleasant - Ceceyan (Company 959)
- Salina - Southern Drawl (Company 479)
- St. George - Veyo Scroll (Company 959)
- Vernal - Vernal Daily Journal (Company 1507)
- Vernal - Vernal Journal (Company 1507)
- Woods Cross - Bay-Cross News (Company 536)
- Woods Cross - Bird Haven Honker (Company 536)
- Woods Cross - Kenova News (Company 536)
- Woods Cross - Ukenova News (Company 536)
Small Town Papers
Newspaper Abstracts - Utah
For Obituary Indexes, transcriptions, and other death/obituary information from historic newspapers, please check out the Obituaries page.
Other Free Sites:
Provo Salt Lake City
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 21 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Utah Newspapers
There are currently 80 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - Utah Newspapers
There are currently 160 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - Utah
There are currently 201 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - Utah.
You also need to visit the Utah Digital Newspapers site from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online newspaper availability.
Please note - even more may be available via a local or state library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspaper Links page on this website.
For other Free Utah Links, click on the category of interest: