For all my articles about newspaper research, just navigate to the Newspapers! of this site and browse. There are plenty of articles to read.
What I would like to relate now, however, is my list of the best free sites to find historical articles about your ancestors in newspapers. These are the first ones that I would use if I were starting out. They have been chosen not because of their interface - because some are better than others and some are not ideal. These are presented in no particular order. And remember that these are free sites only and you do not have to go to a library to access them.
- Elephind - over 181 million items (newspaper pages/articles) from several countries
- Library of Congress - Chronicling America - over 12.7 million pages from 45 states
- Google News Archive - over 2,500 newspapers for U.S. and Canada
- Old Fulton NY Post Cards - over 41 million pages of New York State (and many other states) historical newspapers
- Trove - over 213 million articles from Australia
These are 4 of my very favorite LINK sites to online newspapers - again presented in no particular order:
Bowling Green State University - U.S., Canada, and World Newspaper Links
The Ancestor Hunt - Newspaper Research Links - over 23,000 free links for U.S. and Canada
Wikipedia List of Online Newspaper Archives
ICON Newspaper Digitization Projects
Happy Hunting and Good Luck!