Maryland has a number of free online collections for searching historical newspapers. Several states use the Library of Congress Chronicling America site as their main central online site for searching old newspapers and currently Maryland has several newspaper available on that site. There are many free online newspapers also available on other sites and there are collections available on subscription sites. Below is a list of where the titles are stored and the link so that you can access them.
There are over 1,700 newspapers that have been published in the Old Line State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your Maryland ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated November 2020; recently added links are in BOLD)
Chronicling America - Maryland Newspapers
- Annapolis, Md., 1884-1910 - Evening capital.
- Annapolis, Md., 1910-1922 - Evening capital and Maryland gazette.
- Annapolis, Md., 1922-1981 - Evening capital.
- Baltimore [Md.], 1840-1840 - The pilot.
- Baltimore, Md, 1840-1849 - Baltimore commercial journal, and Lyford's price-current.
- Baltimore, Md., 1840-1841 - The pilot and transcript.
- Baltimore, Md., 1841-1918 - Der Deutsche correspondent.
- Baltimore, Md., 1844-1846 - American Republican and Baltimore daily clipper.
- Baltimore, Md., 1848-1918 - Der Deutsche correspondent.
- Baltimore, Md., 1858-1861 - The daily exchange.
- Baltimore, Md., 1865-1867 - Baltimore daily commercial.
- Baltimore, Md., 1909-1951 - Telegraf. [volume]
- Baltimore, Md., 1912-1920 - Maryland suffrage news.
- Baltimore, Md., 1940-194? - Czas Baltimorski.
- Bel Air, Md., 1857-1862 - The southern aegis.
- Bel Air, Md., 1862-1864 - The southern aegis, and Harford County intelligencer.
- Bel Air, Md., 1864-1923 - The aegis & intelligencer.
- Cambridge, Md., 1897-2008 - The daily banner.
- Cumberland, Md., 1859-1875 - Civilian & telegraph.
- Cumberland, Md., 1937-1938 - The voice.
- Cumberland, Md., 1938-1942 - The voice of labor.
- Cumberland, Md., 1942-???? - The CIO news.
- Elkton, Md., 1841-current - The Cecil Whig.
- Frederick City, Md., 1890-1895 - Frederick citizen.
- Frederick City, Md., 1895-1923 - The citizen.
- Frostburg, Md., 1871-1913 - Frostburg mining journal.
- Frostburg, Md., 1897-18?? - The Frostburg news.
- Frostburg, Md., 1897-19?? - The Frostburg forum.
- Frostburg, Md., 1899-19?? - The Frostburg gleaner.
- Frostburg, Md., 1903-19?? - The Frostburg herald.
- Frostburg, Md., 1913-1915 - The Frostburg spirit.
- Frostburg, Md., 1915-1917 - Frostburg mining journal.
- Greenbelt, Md., 1937-1954 - Greenbelt cooperator.
- Hagerstown [Md.], 1862-18?? - Maryland free press.
- Leonard Town, Md., 1845-1863 - St. Mary's beacon.
- Leonard Town, Md., 1863-1867 - St. Mary's gazette.
- Leonard Town, Md., 1867-1983 - Saint Mary's beacon.
- Mechanicstown, Md., 1871-1940 - Catoctin clarion.
- Pocomoke City, Md., 1921-1953 - Worcester Democrat and the ledger-enterprise.
- Port Tobacco, Md., 1845-1898 - Port Tobacco times, and Charles County advertiser.
- Port Tobacco, Md., 1874-current - Maryland independent.
- Rising Sun, Md., 1885-1947 - The midland journal.
- Snow Hill, Md., 1869-1973 - Democratic messenger.
- Upper Marlborough, Md., 1882-1925 - The Prince George's enquirer and southern Maryland advertiser.
- Towson, Md., 1909-1912 - The Baltimore County union, the Towson news.
- Towsontown, Md., 1865-1909 - The Baltimore County union.
- Westminster, Md., 1865-1972 - The Democratic advocate.
Google News Archive
- Baltimore - The Baltimore Bee
- Baltimore - Baltimore Morning Herald
- Baltimore - American and Daily Advertiser
- Baltimore - The Afro American
- Baltimore - American and Commercial Advertiser
- Baltimore - Baltimore American and Commercial Advertiser
- Baltimore - Baltimore American
- Baltimore - Sunday Herald
- Baltimore - Baltimore Afro-American
- Baltimore - American & Commercial Daily Advertiser
- Baltimore - The Afro American Ledger
- Baltimore - Baltimore Sunday Herald
- Baltimore - The Weekly Herald
- Cambridge - American Eagle
- Easton - The Maryland Herald
- Easton - Herald and Eastern Shore Intelligencer
- Hancock - The Hancock News
Early State Records Online: Newspapers 1802-1965
American and Commercial Daily Advertiser
- M890 - September 4, 1802 - December 31, 1804.
- M891 - January 1, 1805 - June 29, 1805.
- M892 - July 1, 1805 - December 31, 1805.
- M893 - January 1, 1806 - June 30, 1806.
- M894 - July 1, 1806 - December 31, 1806.
- M895 - January 1, 1807 - June 30, 1807.
- M896 - July 1, 1807 - December 31, 1807.
- M8521 - March 3, 1847 - December 31, 1863.
- M8522 - January 1, 1864 - December 31, 1864.
- M8523 - January 2, 1865 - September 30, 1865.
- M8495 - July 2, 1810 - December 31, 1810.
- M7443 - August 20, 1870 - August 1, 1874.
- M7951 - June 27, 1871 - October 5, 1918.
- M11033 - May 27, 1854 - December 14, 1861.
- M11034 - January 4, 1862 - December 2, 1865.
- M11035 - January 27, 1866 - November 11, 1871.
- M7985 - September 7, 1870 - December 27, 1879.
- M7986 - January 2, 1892 - December 30, 1893.
- M7987 - January 6, 1894 - December 25, 1895.
- M7988 - January 1, 1898 - December 30, 1899.
- M5091 - January 6, 1965 - June 30, 1965.
- M1931 - January 5, 1889 - December 28, 1889.
- M5153 - September 24, 1861 - December 31, 1861.
- M5154 - January 1, 1862 - March 31, 1862.
- M5155 - April 1, 1862 - June 30, 1862.
- M5156 - July 1, 1862 - August 14, 1862.
- M2957 - June 17, 1809 - December 30, 1809.
- M476 - January 1, 1860 - December 27, 1872.
- M2622 - January 7, 1888 - July 11, 1903.
- M2800 - September 7, 1802 - December 27, 1803.
- M10521 - April 22, 1861 - February 17, 1862.
Maryland State Archives
- Aegis & Intelligencer, 1864-1923
- American and Commercial Daily Advertiser, 1802-1853
- American Eagle, 1855-1864
- American Sentinel, 1855-1928
- American Union, 1860-1926
- Baltimore American, 1883-1964
- Baltimore Clipper, 1839-1844
- Baltimore Clipper, 1847-1865
- Baltimore Whig, 1810-1814
- Calvert Gazette, 1885-1957
- Calvert Journal, 1867-1957
- Cambridge Chronicle and E. Shore Advertiser, 1825-1827
- Cambridge Chronicle and Maryland Weekly Advertiser, 1827-1828
- Cambridge Chronicle, 1822-1825
- Cambridge Chronicle, 1828-1855
- Cambridge Chronicle, 1871-190?
- Cambridge Democrat, 185?-1866
- Cambridge Era, 1878-1882
- Cambridge Herald, 1857-1866
- Cambridge Tribune, 1936-19??
- Caroline Intelligencer, 1831-183?
- Cecil County Star, 192?-19??
- Cecil Whig, 1841-Present
- Centreville Evening Times and Eastern Shore Publick Advertiser, 182?-18??
- Centreville Observer, 1864-1936
- Centreville State Rights, 1860-1864
- Centreville Times & Eastern Shore Advertiser, 1822-182?
- Centreville Times and Eastern-Shore Public Advertiser, 1831-18??
- Chestertown Transcript, 1862-1946
- Clearspring Sentinel, 1849-1851
- Daily Banner, 1897-2008
- Democrat and News, 186?-1965
- Democrat, and Dorchester Advertiser, 1845-185?
- Denton Journal, 1847-1965
- Dorchester Aurora, 1835-1840
- Dorchester Era, 1883-1900
- Eastern-Shore Star, 1841-1843
- Eastern-Shore Whig and People's Advocate, 1828-1841
- Easton Gazette, 1822-1929
- Easton Journal, 1863-1874
- Easton Star, 1843-1896
- Ellicott City Times, 1870-1958
- Enterprise, 1893-19??
- Federal Gazette & Baltimore Daily Advertiser, 1796-1825
- Frostburg Mining Journal, 1871-1913
- Kent County News, 1946-Present
- Kent News, 1840-1946
- Leader, 1887-19??
- Log Cabin Advocate, 1840-1840
- Maryland Colonization Journal, 1835-1840
- Maryland Courier, 1872-1883
- Maryland Gazette and Political Intelligencer, 1813-1823
- Maryland Gazette and State Register, 1824-1826
- Maryland Gazette, 1727-1734
- Maryland Gazette, 1745-1813
- Maryland Gazette, 1827-1839
- Maryland Gazette, and Frederick Weekly Advertiser, 1790-1792
- Maryland Journal and True American, 1828-1834
- Maryland Journal, 1834-18??
- Maryland Journal, 1845-1852
- Maryland Journal, 1865-1905
- Maryland Journal, and Museum of Politics, Agriculture, and Foreign Literature, 1841-184?
- Maryland News Sheet, 1861-1862
- Maryland Republican, 1809-1817
- Maryland Republican, 1826-1866
- Maryland Suffrage News, 1912-19??
- Midland Journal, 1885-1947
- Montgomery County Sentinel, 1855-1974
- Montgomery Independent, 1927-1946
- Montgomery Press, 1899-19??
- Planter's Advocate and Southern Maryland Advertiser, 1851-1853
- Planter's Advocate, 1853-1861
- Port Tobacco Times, and Charles County Advertiser, 1845-1898
- Queen Anne's Record the Centreville Observer, 1936
- Queen Anne's Record, 1933-1936
- Queen Anne's Record-Observer, 1936-1956
- Queenstown News, 1882-1956
- Republican Citizen, 1836-1890
- Republican Star, or, Eastern Shore General Advertiser, 1802-1814
- Republican Star, or, General Advertiser, 1814-1832
- Rockville True American, 1820-182?
- Sharpsburg Enterprise, 1878-188?
- Somerset Herald, 1838-184?
- South, 1861-1862
- St. Mary's Enterprise, 1883-1947
- State Rights Advocate, 1857-1860
- Williamsport Leader, 1884-1887
- Williamsport Transcript, 188?-189?
County and Library Collections:
Cecil County Historical Society
- Cecil Republican
- Cecil Gazette
- Elkton Press
Montgomery County Public Libraries
- African American Times
- Montgomery Times
Queen Anne's County
Queen Anne's County Library
- Bay Times
- Kent Island Bay Times
- Queen Annes Record
- Queen Annes Record Observer
- Queens Anne's Record Observer
- Record Observer
- Kent Island Bay Times Record Observer
- The Kent Island Bay Times
Worcester County Library
- Berlin Advance
- Democratic Advocate
- Democratic Messenger
- Democratic Messenger and the Pocomoke City Messenger
- Eastern Shore Times
- Eastern Shoreman
- Evening Times
- Ledger Enterprise
- Peninsula Ledger
- Peninsula Press
- Record And Gazette
- Record And Gazette
- Salisbury Times
- Salisbury Times And The Wicomico News
- Snow Hill Messenger
- Snow Hill Messenger and Worcester County Advertiser
- St Martins Church Register
- Village Herald
- Worcester Advocate
- Worcester County Messenger
- Worcester County Shield
- Worcester County Shield And Farmers Manual
- Worcester Democrat
- Worcester Democrat And The Ledger Enterprise
- Worcester Shield
- Worcester Shield And Spirit Of The Whig Press
Salisbury University Libraries - Eastern Shore Newspaper Collection
- Berlin Advance
- Berlin News
- Citizen of Maryland
- Delaware Advertiser and Farmer's Journal
- Delaware Weekly Advertiser and Farmer's Journal
- Eastern Shore Whig and People's Advocate
- Easton Gazette
- Easton Gazette, and Eastern Shore Intelligencer
- Herald and Eastern Shore Intelligencer
- Maryland Gazette
- Maryland Gazette and Political Intelligencer
- Marylander and Herald
- Republican Star
- Salisbury Advertiser
- Salisbury Advertiser and Eastern Shoreman
- Snow-Hill Messenger
- Snow-Hill Messenger and Worcester County Advertiser
- The Village Herald
- Wicomico News
- Worcester Banner
- Worcester Sentinel, and Farmers' and Mechanics' Shield
Somerset County Library System
- Crisfield Post
- Crisfield Times
- Marylander and Herald
- Somerset Herald
- Village Herald
Washington County Free Library - Index to Hagerstown Newspapers
- Hagerstown Mail
- Herald and Torch Light
- Herald of Freedom
- Herald of Freedom and Torch Light
- Maryland Free Press
- News and Hagerstown News
- Pledge & Advocate of Morals
- Torch Light
- Torch Light & Public Adviser
- Weekly Chronicle
- The Washington Spy 1790-1797
Washington County Free Library - Hager'stown Newspapers 1797-1804
- Maryland Herald and Elizabeth-Town Advertiser,
- Maryland Herald and Elizabeth-Town Weekly Advertiser
- Maryland Herald and Hager’s-Town Weekly Advertiser
Washington County Free Library - Hager's-town Newspapers 1805-1809
- Maryland Herald and Hager’s-Town Weekly Advertiser
- Hagers-Town Gazette
Washington County Free Library - Hager's-town Newspapers 1810-1814
- Maryland Herald and Hagerstown Weekly Advertiser
- Hagerstown Gazette
Anne Arundel Community College - Arnold
- Knight's Quest
- The Globe
- The Spur
- The Griffinette
- The Montgomery College Spur
- The Paper
- The Takoma Excalibur News
- Triangle, 1910 – 1914
- M.A.C. Weekly, 1914 – 1916
- Maryland State Weekly, 1916 – 1919
- Maryland State Review, 1919 – 1920
- University Review, 1920 – 1921
- Diamondback, 1921 – present
- Black Explosion 1970 - 2016
- The Eclipse 1985 - 2013
- Mitzpeh 1983-2015
Independent Voices - Alternative Newspapers
- Highway 13
- Media Report to Women
- Military Law Pojrect News
- New Salute
- Open Ranks
- View from Here, The
- Women: A Journal of Liberation
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Newspapers 1933-1942
- Beltsville - Big Broadcast (Company 370)
- Berlin - Herring Creek Times (Company 311)
- Bond - Barrack Bag (Company 1320)
- Boonsboro - Matador (Company 360)
- Brandywine - C-Dar-Vil Tell-Us-Scope (Company 335)
- Cabin John - Tow-Path Journal (Company 333)
- Elkridge - Elkridge Advocate (Company 356)
- Elkridge - Patapsco (Company 356)
- Flintstone - Greenridge Telescope (Company 335)
- Flintstone - Woodsman (Company 324)
- Frederick - Braddock Barrage (Company 360)
- Garrett Park - Garrett Park Express (Company 356)
- Garrett Park - Peavie (Company 356)
- Harwood - Camp Annapolis Bulletin (Company 368)
- Harwood - Harwood Helmsman (Company 368)
- New Germany - Nu Wud News (Company 326)
- Oakland - Bruiter (Company 326)
- Oakland - Hoot Owl Gazette (Company 304)
- Oakland - Meadow Mt. Breeze (Company 326)
- Oakland - Swallow Falls Times-Observer (Company 304)
- Oakland - Youghiogheny Digest (Company 304)
- Public Landing - Stinger (Company 365)
- Sang Run - Piney Echo (Company 377)
- Westover - Somerset Sun (Company 1322)
Old Fulton Postcards
- Annapolis MD Evening Capital and Gazette (1910-1913, 1917-1919)
- Annapolis MD Evening Capital (1884-1907)
- Baltimore MD Prince Georges Enquirer (1887-89, 1893-98, 1915-22)
- Baltimore MD Suffrage News (1912-16, 1920)
- Baltimore MD American Republican and Clipper (1844-1846)
- Bel Air MD Aegis and Intelligencer (1864-1907,1910,1916, 1922)
- Bel Air MD Southern Aegis (1861-1864)
- Cumberland MD CIO News (1942-1944)
- Cumberland MD Voice of Labor (1938-1942)
- Elkton MD Cecil Whig (1888-1920)
- Frederick City MD Democrat Union (1899-1915)
- Frederick MD Citizen (1895)
- Greenbelt MD Cooperator (1937-1943)
- Leonard Town MD St Mary's Beacon (1852-1921)
- Leonard Town MD St Mary's Gazette (1863-1867)
- Mechanicstown MD Catoctin Carion (1871-1922)
- Pocomoke City MD Ledger Enterprise (1921-1925)
- Port Tobacco MD Times and Advertiser (1845-1890)
- Portland ME Daily Press (1863-1891)
- Rising Sun MD Midland Journal ()
- Snow Hill MD Democratic Messenger (1881-1906)
- Westminster MD Democratic Advocate (1910-12,21-22)
- Worcester MD Democrat And Ledger Enterprise (1926,1934-42)
Slaves and Free African Americans, Reports and opinions from the newspapers of Hagerstown, Washington County, and Cumberland, Allegany County, Maryland, 1790 to 1864
Southern School News Archive
Small Town Papers
- The Hancock News Hancock, Maryland
The Olden Times - Maryland
Newspaper Abstracts - Maryland
For Obituary Indexes, transcriptions, and other death/obituary information from historic newspapers, please check out the Obituaries page.
Other Free Sites:
- Church Advocate
- The American Farmer
- The Catholic Review
- The Statesman
- Lutheran Observer
- Niles Weekly Register
- Niles' National Register 1846-1848
- The Baltimore Jewish American
- The American Farmer
- The Race Standard
- Polonia: tygodnik polityczny, naukowy i społeczny (1892-1896, 1903-1905, 1926)
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 39 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Maryland Newspapers
There are currently 216 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - Maryland Newspapers
There are currently 124 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - Maryland
There are currently 60 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - Maryland.
You also need to visit the Historic Maryland Newspapers Project site from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online newspaper availability.
Please note - even more may be available via a local or state library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspaper Links page on this website.
For other Free Maryland Links, click on the category of interest: