The Digital Library of Georgia just announced that 100,000 pages and 188 titles published between 1861-1877 have been added to the Georgia Historic Newspapers website.
From the state:
"As part of a $27,405.00 grant from the R. J. Taylor, Jr. Foundation, the Digital Library of Georgia has digitized over 100,000 pages of Georgia newspaper titles published from 1861 to 1877 from microfilm held by the Georgia Newspaper Project....."
The complete announcement can be found HERE.
Here is a list of some of the titles:
- Augusta Weekly Chronicle and Sentinel (1861-1881)
- Jefferson/Louisville News and Farmer (1871-1923)
- Washington Gazette (1866-1885)
- Atlanta Daily New Era (1866-1871)
- Conyers Rockdale Register (1876-1877)
- Marietta Field and Fireside (1877-1879)
- Forsyth Monroe Advertiser (1873-1888)
- Macon Georgia/Daily Journal and Messenger (1862-1869)
- Hawkinsville Dispatch (1867-1877)
- Athens Georgia Collegian (1870-1872)
- Calhoun Weekly/Saturday Times (1870-1877)
- Cartersville Express (1867-1879)
- Dawson Journal (1866-1882)
- Savannah Daily Herald (1866-1867)
- Thomasville Southern Enterprise (1867-1876)
- Carroll County Times (1872-1880)
- Columbus Daily/Weekly Sun (1861-1873)
- Thomaston Herald (1870-1878)
For all of the Georgia Historic Newspapers website titles as well as links to other free Georgia historical newspaper websites, please visit Georgia Online Historical Newspapers Summary