Divorce records from all over the U.S are sometimes difficult to find online. They are another hidden gem of information that can assist you in advancing your family history and genealogy research.
What can you find in these records? Obviously the dates and location of the divorce proceeding, the date and location of the marriage, the woman's maiden name, names of minor children, and the reason for the divorce. The reason can not only provide another part of your ancestor's story, but also may lead to more clues, especially in the case of desertion, where you may be able to find the location that the "deserting" party moved to.
WARNING: Some of the information in the Divorce Petitions may be difficult to read. There may be shocking claims, especially related to your ancestors' physical and emotional cruelty, or other behavior. Be prepared.
In most cases, I did not include the links to County Courts, where most divorce records are now processed and the documents held. But these divorce documents for most states are partially held in either state archives or county clerk records. So you may wish to avail yourself of these county clerk an court archives, especially those that can be searched online.
Note: Please be aware that if you find a desired divorce record in an index, that the holder of the actual materials (e.g., archive, county court, etc.) may charge a small fee to send you a copy of the material itself.
Note: Some of the links listed below take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections' images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital. Make sure that you are logged in to the site, so that the collections that are browsable from anywhere will be displayed.
Below are links to the state's divorce record and index collections that are available for free online.
(Updated February, 2021; recently added links are in BOLD)
- Berkshire County, Divorce Docket Books 1888-1927
- Berkshire County, Divorce Record Indexes, 1847-1940
- Berkshire County, Divorce Records, 1887-1916
- Bristol County Divorce Records, 1887-1908
- Bristol County, Divorce Records, 1862-1889
- Bristol County, Docket Books for Divorce Records, 1909-1918
- Franklin County, Divorce Records 1872-1933
- Franklin County, Superior Court Divorce Docket, 1888-1923
- Hampden County Superior Court Records, 1894-1916
- Hampden County Court Dockets for Divorce proceedings, ca. 1871- ca. 1886
- Hampden County Court Records, 1859-1894, and Index, 1859-1861
- Hampden County, Divorce proceedings Dockets, 1887-1918
- Hampshire County Divorce Records Index cards (A to end), 1812-1887
- Hampshire County, Divorce Records Index cards, 1758-1960
- Hampshire County, Divorce Index cards (A thru Z), 1758-1789
- Hampshire County, Divorce Index, 1790-1960, Superior Court
- Hampshire County, Divorce Dockets, 1888-1918
- Hampshire County, Index to Divorces found in Court of Sessions volumes, 1758-1789
- Massachusetts, Divorce Index, 1952-1970
- Massachusetts, Divorce Records, 1760-1786
- Middlesex County, Court Records 1851-1887
- Middlesex County, Divorce Docket Books 1887-1938
- Norfolk County Divorce Docket Books (1887-1918); Index to Divorce Records (1887-1923)
- Plymouth County Record Books (including Divorces), 1813-1950; and Divorce Index, 1918-1930
- Plymouth County, Divorce Records Index 1888-1973 and Divorce Records 1798-1812
- Suffolk County Court Files, 1629-1797
- Suffolk County Divorce Records, 1888-1915, Divorce Dockets, 1888-1916 and Index to libellants, 1903-1910
- Worcester County, Court Records (including Divorces), 1797-1887
- Worcester County, Divorce Docket Books, 1891-1936
- Worcester County, Divorce Records Index, 1887-1936
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
For other Free Massachusetts Links, click on the category of interest: