One of the main goals for genealogists in searching historic newspapers is to find obituaries. Obituaries are a gold mine of information. They provide death dates and locations, funeral and cemetery information and sometimes more importantly - information about the relatives of the deceased's family and extended family. This family name information is often not found anywhere else.
Over the past few decades, thanks to volunteers, librarians and archivists, a great number of indexes to death information and obituaries from newspapers have been provided for free online. These searchable indexes or index lists provide the location in old newspapers where the obituary can be found. Sometimes the obituary clipping or transcription is even provided.
Below is a list of links to District of Columbia obituary indexes, an alternative means to newspaper searching to find obituary information. If the newspaper clippings are available, or if the obituaries are transcribed, they will be denoted. Please be aware that if you find a desired obituary in an index, that the holder of the actual obituary (e.g., library or genealogical society) may charge a small fee to send you a copy of the obituary itself.
(Updated June, 2020; recently added links are in BOLD)
- Currentobituary.com index, 2001-2014
- United Methodist Church Annual Conference Journal Memoirs and Obituary Index
- United States, GenealogyBank Obituaries, 1980-2014
- United States, Obituaries, American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1899-2012
District of Columbia
- Congressional Cemetery Obituaries
- DC Area Obituaries
- DC Miscellaneous Obituaries
- DC Various Obituaries
- District of Columbia Obituaries - Obit City
- District of Columbia USGenWeb Obituary Project
- Washington DC Obituaries
- Washington DC Obituary Indexes
- Washington Jewish Week Obituaries 2013-
- Washington Post Obituaries Archive
- Washington Star Obituaries
If you wish to search this state's historic newspapers for obituaries, click on District of Columbia Online Historical Newspapers Summary