Do you research naturalization records? No? Why not? Does the thought of going through paper files in dusty court basements turn you off? Well - I'm here to tell you that it is worth it - and with recent digitization efforts - more and more original documents have been scanned and been made available via microfilm or online.
Some of the larger subscription sites have also made some source documents available - as well as index cards that can lead you to the court that handled the proceedings.
If you wish to get educated first about all of these documents and the naturalization process and how it has changed over time - please read these two terrific summaries:
- The U.S. Archives Naturalization Records
- FamilySearch's Wiki entry United States Naturalization and Citizenship
- Women and Naturalization
Okay - now that you are educated and know that post-1906 - about 4 awesome documents just drip with great information: Declaration of Intent, Petition for Citizenship or Naturalization, Certificate of Arrival, and the Certificate of Naturalization. Many of the online genealogy websites may not have all of these documents available, but do have index cards that are searchable - which has information regarding the court handling the proceedings. With this information you might be able to track down some of the source documents.
Below is a list of links to free online naturalization record and index collections for the state:
Note: Some of the links listed below take you to a FamilySearch Collection of digital images. Near the bottom of the page under Film/Digital Notes is the name of each sub-collection. If there is a camera icon at the right of the name (in the Format column) then the collections' images are browsable. If there is a camera with a key icon, it is only available at a Family History Center or affiliated library. If there is a film reel icon, then it is only available in microfilm format, not digital.
(Updated December, 2019; recently added links are in BOLD)
- Alaska Naturalization Index
- Alaska Naturalization Index (partial)
- Alaska Naturalization Records, 1884-1991
- Alaska State Archives Naturalization Index pre-1959
- Alaska, Naturalization Records, 1900-1991
- Alaska, Record of Indian citizenship by naturalization, 1916-1922
- Alaska, State Archives (Juneau), Naturalization Records, 1900-1972
- Alaska, Declaration of Intention, 1910-1929; Naturalization Records, 1910-1929; Indexes to the Naturalization Records 1900-1929
- Alaska, Indexes to Naturalization Records 1903-1991
- Anchorage, Juneau, Skagway, and Tok Junction, Indexes and Manifests of Alien Arrivals 1910-1956
- Cordova, Naturalization Records, 1940-1947
- Eagle, Hyder, Ketchikan, Nome, and Skagway, Alphabetical Index of Alien Arrivals June 1906-August 1946
- Eagle, Lists of Aliens Arriving December 1910-October 1938
- Fairbanks Naturalization Records, Sept. 1915-Dec. 1923
- Iditarod Naturalization Records, Oct. 1912-July 1915
- Juneau, Naturalization Records, Oct. 1900-Sept. 1910
- Ruby, Naturalization Records, Aug. 1919-May 1924
- Skagway (White Pass), Lists of Aliens Arriving October 1906-November 1934
- Skagway, Naturalization Records, Mar. 1901-Jan. 1917
- Unalaska, Naturalization Records, 1936-1941
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!