I love old photos, whether they are portraits of my ancestors or historical photos for the period when they lived. And it is important to a complete research that one attempts to understand the environment that surrounds our ancestors' lives if one wants to truly appreciate what they went through.
So where can they be found? Obviously the best resource is our own photo albums and those that our relatives possess. But what about other resources? Many archives, historical societies, libraries and genealogical societies have collections of old photos. And in the past few years there has been a massive movement towards making these historical photo collections available online. Some have search capabilities where you can actually put in a surname or a location, name of a building or historical event and find what is available.
For the state of Arkansas, what collections are available for you to browse and/or search online? Here is a list of sites to start with. Please feel free to add in the comments other online resources that you might be aware of in the state.
Please be aware that there may be very strict rules regarding downloading or other use of the images that you may find. Copyright and other legal protections may be in force. Make sure that you read the limitations of use for any image that you find in these collections and wish to download and/or copy. It is your responsibility to adhere to the rules for all of these collections.
Please note that links to these sites may change in the future. The author (me) will not be constantly checking and updating these links, so if you find a broken link, please use your favorite search engine to locate the new link.
(Updated May, 2019; recently added links are in BOLD)
- Arkansas Ancient Faces
- Arkansas Dead Fred
- Arkansas Digital Ark-ives
- Arkansas Historical Association Gallery
- Arkansas History Photos
- Arkansas Images
- Arkansas Photograph Collections
- Arkansas Vintage Photos
- Benton County Family Photos
- Clay County Photo Album
- Columbia County Photo Album
- Crawford County Photo Archives
- Dallas County Photos
- Documenting the American South
- Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture
- Fayetteville History - Photo Albums
- Fayetteville Historic Photos
- Forrest City Miscellaneous Pictures
- Fort Smith Historic Images
- Historic Arkansas Images
- Historic Arkansas Museum
- Historic Pictures of Fayetteville
- Historical Photographs of Southwest Arkansas
- Hog Database
- Hot Spring County Old Photographs
- Jonesboro and Craighead County Collection
- Lawrence County Photographs
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Online Catalog
- Madison County Photos
- Marion County Photo Gallery
- Miller County Photo Album
- National Archives - Digital Photograph Collections
- Nevada County Photos
- Poinsett County Photographs
- Randolph County Photo Album
- Saline County Library Digital Collections
- Scott County Ancestor Photos
- Sebastian County Photo Album
- Sevier County Photos
- Shiloh Museum Photo Collections
- Smithsonian Images
- South AR Historical Preservation Society - El Dorado
- University of Arkansas Digital Collections
- University of Arkansas Little Rock Photograph Collections
- University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Photo Collections
- University of Central Arkansas Photograph Collections
- Vintage Arkansas Postcards
- Vintage Photos of Arkansas
- White County Historical Society Pictures Of Yesterday
For historic photos from other states as well as articles about photo research, please visit the Photos page.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!