I love old photos, whether they are portraits of my ancestors or historical photos for the period when they lived. And it is important to a complete research that one attempts to understand the environment that surrounds our ancestors' lives if one wants to truly appreciate what they went through.
So where can they be found? Obviously the best resource is our own photo albums and those that our relatives possess. But what about other resources? Many archives, historical societies, libraries and genealogical societies have collections of old photos. And in the past few years there has been a massive movement towards making these historical photo collections available online. Some have search capabilities where you can actually put in a surname or a location, name of a building or historical event and find what is available.
For the state of Alabama, what collections are available for you to browse and/or search online? Here is a list of sites to start with. Please feel free to add in the comments other online resources that you might be aware of in the state.
Please be aware that there may be very strict rules regarding downloading or other use of the images that you may find. Copyright and other legal protections may be in force. Make sure that you read the limitations of use for any image that you find in these collections and wish to download and/or copy. It is your responsibility to adhere to the rules for all of these collections.
Please note that links to these sites may change in the future. The author (me) will not be constantly checking and updating these links, so if you find a broken link, please use your favorite search engine to locate the new link.
(Updated May, 2019; recently added links are in BOLD)
- Alabama Ancient Faces
- Alabama Dead Fred
- Alabama Department of Archives and History Digital Collections
- Alabama Media Group Collection
- Alabama Mosaic
- Alabama Penny Postcards
- Alabama Photographs and Pictures Collection
- Alabama Pioneers
- Alabama Religious Life Photo Collection
- Alabama State University Early History Photographs
- Alabama Vintage Photographs
- Auburn University Digital Collection
- Baldwin County Archive Building - Bay Minette
- Birmingham Photographs
- Chambers County Photographs
- Chambers County Pictures
- DeKalb County Photo Collections
- East Alabama Museum Photo Gallery
- Encyclopedia Alabama
- Florence-Lauderdale Public Library Digital Archive
- Gadsden Public Library Photos
- Greene County Photo Albums
- Hanceville Area History and Photographs by Greg Burden
- Historic Montgomery Photos
- Historic Photographs of Montgomery, Alabama
- Historic Talladega
- Huntsville History Collection
- Huntsville Photographs
- Jacksonville Public Library History Room
- Jacksonville State University Photos and Yearbooks
- Jim Peppler Southern Courier Photographs
- Lauderdale County Pictures of the Past
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Online Catalog
- National Archives - Digital Photograph Collections
- Oakwood University Archives - Huntsville
- Old Alabama Pictures
- Samford University Image Collections
- Smithsonian Images
- The Early History of Alabama State University
- Tuscaloosa Virtual Museum
- University of Alabama Birmingham Digital Collections
- University of Alabama in Huntsville Historical Photographs
- University of Alabama Tuscaloosa Photo Collections
For historic photos from other states as well as articles about photo research, please visit the Photos page.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!