There are over 1,100 newspapers that have been published in the Mountain State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your West Virginia ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated December, 2015)
Chronicling America - West Virginia Newspapers
- Charles Town, Va. [W. Va.], 1844-1948 Spirit of Jefferson.
- Charleston, Va. [W. Va.], 1856-1861 Kanawha Valley star.
- Clarksburg, Va. [W. Va.], 1851-1861 Cooper's Clarksburg register.
- Fairmont, W. Va., 1904-1974 The Fairmont West Virginian.
- Martinsburg, Va. [W. Va.], 1861-1861 The American union.
- Morgantown, Va. [W. Va.], 1849-1855 Monongalia mirror.
- Point Pleasant, Va. [W. Va.], 1862-1909 The weekly register.
- Point Pleasant, W. Va., 1909-1939 The Point Pleasant register.
- Weston, W. Va., 1868-1874 The democrat.
- Weston, W. Va., 1875-current The Weston Democrat.
- Wheeling, Va. [W. Va.], 1852-1859 Wheeling daily intelligencer.
- Wheeling, Va. [W. Va.], 1859-1865 Daily intelligencer.
- Wheeling, W. Va., 1865-1903 The Wheeling daily intelligencer.
Small Town Papers
- Braxton Citizens News Sutton, West Virginia
- The Brooke County Review Wellsburg, West Virginia
- Charles Town Farmers Advocate Charles Town, West Virginia
- Farmers Advocate Charles Town, West Virginia
- The Glenville Democrat Glenville, West Virginia
- Grant County Press Petersburg, West Virginia
- The Hinton News Hinton, West Virginia
- The Morgan Messenger Berkeley Springs, West Virginia
- Mountain Messenger Lewisburg, West Virginia
- The Pennsboro News Harrisville, West Virginia
- Pleasants County Leader St. Marys, West Virginia
- The Pocahontas Times Marlinton, West Virginia
- The Preston County Journal Kingwood, West Virginia
- Roane County Reporter Spencer, West Virginia
- Spirit of Jefferson Unavailable, West Virginia
- Spirit of Jefferson Farmers Advocate Charles Town, West Virginia
- The St. Marys Oracle St. Marys, West Virginia
- The Times Record Spencer, West Virginia
- Wirt County Journal Elizabeth, West Virginia
Olden Times West Virginia Clippings
Other Free Sites:
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive.
Berkeley Springs Braxton Charles Town
- Farmers Advocate
- Spirit of Jefferson Advocate
- Spirit of Jefferson Farmer's Advocate
- Spirit of Jefferson Farmer's Advocate
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 21 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - West Virginia Newspapers
There are currently 26 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - West Virginia Newspapers
There are currently 31 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - West Virginia
There are currently 12 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - West Virginia
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Two of my favorites:
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to visit the West Virginia Newspapers site, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to newspaper projects. They also have a nice searchable database for microfilm based collections throughout the state.
Please note - even more may be available via a local library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.