There are almost 3,000 newspapers that have been published in the Evergreen State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your Washington ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated March, 2017)
Chronicling America - Washington
- Aberdeen, Chehalis County, W.T., 1886-1917 Aberdeen herald.
- Anacortes, Wash. Ter., 1882-1887 Northwest enterprise.
- Colfax, Wash., 1893-1932 The Colfax gazette.
- Colville, Wash., 1907-1948 The Colville examiner.
- Edison, Wash., 1898-1??? Industrial freedom.
- Ellensburg, Wash., 1893-1894 The reformer's dawn.
- Ellensburg, Wash., 1894-1894 The dawn.
- Ellensburg, Wash., 1894-1895 The weekly dawn.
- Ellensburg, Wash., 1895-1898 The dawn.
- Ellensburg, Wash., 1898-1914 The Ellensburg dawn.
- Everett, Wash., 1909-1976 The labor journal.
- Everett, Wash., 1911-1914 The Commonwealth.
- Everett, Wash., 1914-1915 The Washington socialist.
- Everett, Wash., 1915-1917 The Northwest worker.
- Everett, Wash., 1917-1918 The Co-operative news.
- Friday Harbor, Wash., 1891-1899 The islander.
- Friday Harbor, Wash., 1898-1914 The San Juan islander.
- Kennewick, Wash., 1902-1905 Columbia courier.
- Kennewick, Wash., 1905-1914 The Kennewick courier.
- Leavenworth, Wash., 1904-current The Leavenworth echo.
- Lynden, Wash., 1908-current The Lynden tribune.
- Newport, Wash., 1899-current The Newport miner.
- North Yakima, W.T. [Wash.], 1889-1914 The Yakima herald.
- North Yakima, Wash., 1894-189? The ranch.
- North Yakima, Wash., 1897-1902 Ranche and range.
- Olympia, Wash. Territory, 1860-1921 Washington standard.
- Oroville, Wash., 1905-19?? The Oroville weekly gazette.
- Pullman, W.T. [Wash.], 1888-1989 Pullman herald.
- Ritzville, Wash., 1898-1906 Adams County news.
- Ritzville, Wash., 1906-1907 Washington State journal and Adams County news.
- Ritzville, Wash., 1907-1911 Washington State journal.
- Seattle, W.T. [Wash., 1881-1888 Seattle daily post-intelligencer.
- Seattle, Wash. Terr. [Wash.], 1888-1914 The Seattle post-intelligencer.
- Seattle, Wash. Territory [i.e. Wash.], 1876-1881 The daily intelligencer.
- Seattle, Wash., 1???-1915 The Seattle Republican.
- Seattle, Wash., 18??-189? The Daily Republican.
- Seattle, Wash., 1894-1??? The Republican.
- Seattle, Wash., 1899-1947 The Seattle star.
- Seattle, Wash., 1902-1914 The ranch.
- Seattle, Wash., 1916-1921 Cayton's weekly.
- Seattle, Wash., 1921-1921 Cayton's monthly.
- Shelton, W.T., 1886-1927 The Mason County journal.
- Spokane, Wash., 1902-1939 The Spokane press.
- Spokane, Wash., 1914-1971 Washington farmer.
- Tacoma, Wash., 1903-1949 The Tacoma times.
- Vancouver, W.T. [Wash.], 1875-1910 The Vancouver independent.
- Walla Walla, Wash., 1903-1910 The Evening statesman.
- Wenatchee, Wash., 1905-1971 The Wenatchee daily world.
Historical Newspapers Washington 1852-1892
- The Columbian (Olympia) 1852–1853
- Lynden Pioneer Press (Lynden) 1888–1890
- The Northern Star (Snohomish) 1876–1979
- Pioneer and Democrat (Olympia) 1854–1861
- Puget Sound Argus (Port Townsend) 1882–1883
- Puget Sound Courier (Steilacoom) 1855–1856
- Puget Sound Dispatch (Seattle) 1871-1880
- Puget Sound Herald (Steilacoom) 1858–1864
- Puget Sound Mail (LaConner) 1879–1884
- Puget Sound Semi-weekly (Seattle) 1866
- Puget Sound Weekly (Seattle) 1866–1867
- Puget Sound Weekly Argus (Port Townsend)1876–1882
- Puget Sound Weekly Gazette (Seattle) 1867
- Seattle Gazette (Seattle) 1863–1864
- Seattle Weekly Gazette (Seattle) 1864–1866
- Spokane Times (Spokane) 1879–1882
- Spokane Falls Review (Spokane) 1883–1890
- Truth Teller (Steilacoom) 1858
- Vancouver Register (Vancouver) 1865–1869
- Walla Walla Statesman (Walla Walla) 1864–1869
- Washington Gazette (Seattle) 1863
- Washington Pioneer (Olympia) 1853–1854
- Washington Statesman (Walla Walla) 1861–1864
- Weekly Argus (Port Townsend) 1870–1875
- The Yakima Herald (Yakima) 1889–1892
Washington Digital Libraries
- Aberdeen herald
- Adams County news
- Cayton's monthly
- Cayton's weekly
- Chronicle (Vancouver, Wash.)
- The Co-operative news
- The Colfax gazette
- Columbia courier
- The Colville examiner
- The Commonwealth
- Daily hub (Centralia, Wash.)
- The daily intelligencer
- The Daily Republican
- Den Danske Kronike
- The Eatonville dispatch
- The Ellensburg dawn
- The Evening statesman
- Evening telegraph (Tacoma, Wash.)
- Industrial freedom
- The islander
- The Kennewick courier
- The Labor journal
- The Leavenworth echo
- The Lynden tribune
- The Newport miner
- Northwest enterprise (Anacortes, Wash.)
- The Northwest worker
- Oroville gazette
- Pullman herald
- The ranch
- The ranch
- Ranche and range
- The reformer's dawn
- The Republican
- The San Juan islander
- Seattle daily post-intelligencer
- The Seattle post-intelligencer
- The Seattle Republican
- The Seattle star
- Shelton-Mason County journal
- The Spokane press
- The Tacoma times
- The Washington socialist
- Washington standard
- Washington State journal
- Washington State journal and Adams County news
- The weekly dawn
- The Wenatchee daily world
- The Yakima herald
Kimble Northwest History Database (Clippings)
Clark County Historical Museum Newspapers Archive
- The Vancouver Independent
University of Washington Student Newspapers
- Commons (October 1995–April 1997)
- Daily (September 1967–February 1968)
- Independent (November 1993–February 1996)
- Ledger (November 1996–December 2005)
Olympian Index (Index only)
- Columbia Magazine (Washington State Historical Society)
- Eastside Week
- Seattle Magazine
- Seattle Weekly
- Washington CEO
- Washington Magazine
- Clark County History
- Columns (University of Washington)
- New Pacific
- Pacific Northwest Historical Quarterly
- Pacific Northwest Magazine
- Peninsula Magazine
- Puget Sound Business Journal
- Washington Journal
The Labor Press Project - Pacific Northwest Labor and Radical Newspapers
Pacific Northwest Regional Newspaper and Periodical Index
Small Town Papers
- Bothell Sentinel and Citizen Bothell, Washington
- Cheney Free Press Cheney, Washington
- Deer Park Tribune Deer Park, Washington
- Deer Park Union Unavailable, Washington
- The Dispatch-Eatonville Eatonville, Washington
- Edmonds Beacon Mukilteo, Washington
- The Goldendale Sentinel Goldendale, Washington
- The Issaquah Press Issaquah, Washington
- The Marysville Globe Marysville, Washington
- Mattawa Area News Mattawa, Washington
- Mt. Adams Sun Bingen, Washington
- Mukilteo Beacon Mukilteo, Washington
- Newcastle News Issaquah, Washington
- News & Standard Coulee City, Washington
- The Othello Outlook Othello, Washington
- The Palouse Republic Unavailable, Washington
- The Quincy Valley Post-Register Quincy, Washington
- The Ritzville Adams County Journal Ritzville, Washington
- Royal City Royal Review Unavailable, Washington
- Sammamish Review Issaquah, Washington
- Shelton-Mason County Journal Shelton, Washington
- The South Grant County Washington Sun Royal City, Washington
- The Star Grand Coulee, Washington
- Tri-County Tribune Colville, Washington
- The Wahkiakum County Eagle Cathlamet, Washington
- West Seattle Herald Burien, Washington
- The Woodinville Weekly Woodinville, Washington
The Olden Times - Washington
Cowlitz County Obituary Index (1871–2013) (Index only)
Port Angeles Obituary Index (1916– ) (Index only)
Adams County Obituaries 1898-1964
Clallam County Obituary Directory
Island County: Camwood Obituary Project
Lincoln County Cemetery Obituaries
Pierce County: Tacoma Obituary Index 1984-present
Spokane Public Library Obituaries
Wenatchee Area Obituary Index
Other Free Sites:
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive.)
Allyn Anacortes Arlington Auburn Bellingham Bossburg Brewster Cathlamet Chehalis Cheney Clarkston Coulee City Deer Park Eatonville Ellensburg
- Ellensburg Daily Record
- Ellensburg Daily Record
- Ellensburg Dawn
- Ellensburg Capital
- Ellensburg Democrat
- Ellensburg Localizer
- Evening Localizer
- Kittitas Localizer
- Olympia Weekly Capital
- Pioneer and Democrat
- Puget Sound Daily Courier
- Puget Sound Weekly Courier
- Washington Democrat
- Jewish Transcript
- Municipal News
- Pacific Fisherman Journal
- Puget Sound Chemist
- SDS News
- Seattle Post-Intelligencer
- Seattle Republican
- Seattle Times
- Seattle Times
- South Seattle Community College
- South Seattle Sentinel
- Watcher on the Tower
- West Seattle Herald
- Douglas County Farmer
- Industrial Worker
- Spokane Chronicle
- Spokane Daily Chronicle
- Spokane Daily Chronicle
- Spokane Review & Spokesman-Review
- Spokane Weekly Review
- Spokesman Review Semi-Weekly
- Weekly Spokesman-Review
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 14 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Washington Newspapers
There are currently 95 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - Washington Newspapers
There are currently 21 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - Washington
There are currently 41 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - Washington.
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Two of my favorites:
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to visit the Newspapers at the Washington State Library site from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online and other format newspaper availability.
Please note - even more may be available via a local or state library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.