Washington has a sizable state-wide free online collection for searching historical newspapers. Many states use the Library of Congress Chronicling America site as their main central online site for searching old newspapers and currently Washington has quite a few newspapers also available on that site. There are free online newspapers available on other sites and there are collections available on subscription sites. Below is a list of where the titles are stored and the link so that you can access them.
There are almost 3,000 newspapers that have been published in the Evergreen State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your Washington ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
Updated August, 2018; recently added links are in BOLD)
Chronicling America - Washington
- Aberdeen, Chehalis County, W.T., 1886-1917 Aberdeen herald.
- Anacortes, Wash. Ter., 1882-1887 Northwest enterprise.
- Colfax, Wash., 1893-1932 The Colfax gazette.
- Colville, Wash., 1907-1948 The Colville examiner.
- Edison, Wash., 1898-1??? Industrial freedom.
- Ellensburg, Wash., 1893-1894 The reformer's dawn.
- Ellensburg, Wash., 1894-1894 The dawn.
- Ellensburg, Wash., 1894-1895 The weekly dawn.
- Ellensburg, Wash., 1895-1898 The dawn.
- Ellensburg, Wash., 1898-1914 The Ellensburg dawn.
- Everett, Wash., 1909-1976 The labor journal.
- Everett, Wash., 1911-1914 The Commonwealth.
- Everett, Wash., 1914-1915 The Washington socialist.
- Everett, Wash., 1915-1917 The Northwest worker.
- Everett, Wash., 1917-1918 The Co-operative news.
- Friday Harbor, Wash., 1891-1899 The islander.
- Friday Harbor, Wash., 1898-1914 The San Juan islander.
- Kennewick, Wash., 1902-1905 Columbia courier.
- Kennewick, Wash., 1905-1914 The Kennewick courier.
- Leavenworth, Wash., 1904-current The Leavenworth echo.
- Lynden, Wash., 1908-current The Lynden tribune.
- Newport, Wash., 1899-current The Newport miner.
- North Yakima, W.T. [Wash.], 1889-1914 The Yakima herald.
- North Yakima, Wash., 1894-189? The ranch.
- North Yakima, Wash., 1897-1902 Ranche and range.
- Olympia, Wash. Territory, 1860-1921 Washington standard.
- Oroville, Wash., 1905-19?? The Oroville weekly gazette.
- Pullman, W.T. [Wash.], 1888-1989 Pullman herald.
- Ritzville, Wash., 1898-1906 Adams County news.
- Ritzville, Wash., 1906-1907 Washington State journal and Adams County news.
- Ritzville, Wash., 1907-1911 Washington State journal.
- Seattle, W.T. [Wash., 1881-1888 Seattle daily post-intelligencer.
- Seattle, Wash. Terr. [Wash.], 1888-1914 The Seattle post-intelligencer.
- Seattle, Wash. Territory [i.e. Wash.], 1876-1881 The daily intelligencer.
- Seattle, Wash., 1???-1915 The Seattle Republican.
- Seattle, Wash., 18??-189? The Daily Republican.
- Seattle, Wash., 1894-1??? The Republican.
- Seattle, Wash., 1899-1947 The Seattle star.
- Seattle, Wash., 1902-1914 The ranch.
- Seattle, Wash., 1916-1921 Cayton's weekly.
- Seattle, Wash., 1921-1921 Cayton's monthly.
- Shelton, W.T., 1886-1927 The Mason County journal.
- Spokane, Wash., 1902-1939 The Spokane press.
- Spokane, Wash., 1914-1971 Washington farmer.
- Tacoma, Wash., 1903-1949 The Tacoma times.
- Vancouver, W.T. [Wash.], 1875-1910 The Vancouver independent.
- Walla Walla, Wash., 1903-1910 The Evening statesman.
- Wenatchee, Wash., 1905-1971 The Wenatchee daily world.
Google News Archive
- Allyn - Allyn Times
- Anacortes - Northwest Enterprise
- Arlington - The Arlington Times
- Auburn - The Washington Co-Operator
- Bellingham - The Journal-Progressive
- Bingen - Mt. Adams Sun
- Bossburg - The Bossburg Herald
- Brewster - Quad-City Herald
- Brewster - The Herald Reporter
- Cathlamet - The Wahkiakum Country Eagle
- Chehalis - The Chehalis Bee-Nugget
- Chehalis - The Chehalis Bee
- Cheney - Cheney Free Press
- Coulee - News & Standard
- Coulee - Coulee City News
- Deer Park - Deer Park Tribune
- Deer Park - Tri-County Tribune
- Deer Park - Tribune
- Deer Park - Deer Park Union
- Eatonville - The Eatonville Dispatch
- Edmonds - Edmonds Beacon
- Ellensburg - The Ellensburgh Capital
- Ellensburg - The Evening Localizer
- Ellensburg - The Ellensburg Dawn
- Ellensburg - The Ellensburg Localizer
- Ellensburg - Ellensburg Daily Record
- Ellensburg - The Ellensburg Democrat
- Ellensburg - Kittitas Localizer
- Entiat - The Entiat Times
- Everett - The Everett Times
- Garfield - The Garfield Enterprise
- Goldendale - The Goldendale Sentinel
- Issaquah - The Issaquah Press
- Issaquah - Newcastle News
- Kettle Falls - The Scimitar
- Loon Lake - The Loon Lake Times
- Marcus - Marcus Messenger
- Marysville - The Marysville Globe
- Mattawa - Mattawa Area News
- Molson - The Molson Leader
- Montesano - The Vidette
- Mukilteo - Mukilteo Beacon
- Neppel - The Pacific Farm Record
- Neppel - The Neppel Record
- Olympia - Puget Sound Daily Courier
- Olympia - Puget Sound Weekly Courier
- Olympia - Washington Democrat
- Olympia - The Echo
- Olympia - The Olympia Weekly Capital
- Olympia - Pioneer and Democrat
- Orient - Kettle River Journal
- Oroville - The Oroville Gazette
- Oroville - Okanogan Valley Gazette-Tribune
- Oroville - Ovg2003
- Othello - The Othello Outlook
- Palouse - The Boomerang
- Palouse - The Palouse Republic
- Pomeroy - Pomeroy Republican
- Port Angeles - True Democrat
- Port Townsend - Morning Leader
- Port Townsend - The North - West
- Pullman - Moscow-Pullman Daily News
- Pullman - Weekend Daily News
- Quincy - The Quincy Valley Post-Register
- Raymond - The Raymond Review
- Ritzville - The Ritzville Adams County Journal
- Ritzville - The Ritzville Journal-Times
- Royal City - The South County Sun
- Royal City - The Royal Banner
- Royal City - Royal Review
- Sammamish - Sammamish Review
- Seattle - West Seattle Herald
- Seattle - South Seattle Community College
- Seattle - The Seattle Times
- Seattle - The South Seattle Sentinel
- Seattle - The Sentinel
- Shelton - The Shelton-Mason County Journal
- Shelton - Shelton Weekly Tribune
- Shelton - The Shelton Sentinel
- Spokane - Douglas County Farmer
- Spokane - Spokesman Review Semi-Weekly
- Spokane - The Spokane Weekly Review
- Spokane - Weekly Spokesman-Review
- Spokane - Spokane Daily Chronicle
- Spokane - The Spokane Review
- Spokane - The Spokesman-Review and Spokane Chronicle
- Spokane Falls - Spokane Falls Daily Chronicle
- Spokane Falls - Spokane Falls Weekly Review
- Spokane Falls - The Spokesman-Review
- Spokane Falls - Spokane Chronicle
- Spokane Falls - The Morning Review
- Spokane Falls - Spokane Falls Review
- Tacoma - The Weekly Ledger
- Wenatchee - The Republican
- Withrow - The Withrow Banner
- Woodinville - The Woodinville Weekly
Historical Newspapers Washington 1852-1892
- The Columbian (Olympia) 1852–1853
- Lynden Pioneer Press (Lynden) 1888–1890
- The Northern Star (Snohomish) 1876–1879
- Pioneer and Democrat (Olympia) 1854–1861
- Puget Sound Argus (Port Townsend) 1882–1883
- Puget Sound Courier (Steilacoom) 1855–1856
- Puget Sound Dispatch (Seattle) 1871-1880
- Puget Sound Herald (Steilacoom) 1858–1864
- Puget Sound Mail (LaConner) 1879–1884
- Puget Sound Semi-weekly (Seattle) 1866
- Puget Sound Weekly (Seattle) 1866–1867
- Puget Sound Weekly Argus (Port Townsend)1876–1882
- Puget Sound Weekly Gazette (Seattle) 1867
- Seattle Gazette (Seattle) 1863–1864
- Seattle Weekly Gazette (Seattle) 1864–1866
- Spokane Times (Spokane) 1879–1882
- Spokane Falls Review (Spokane) 1883–1890
- Truth Teller (Steilacoom) 1858
- Vancouver Register (Vancouver) 1865–1869
- Walla Walla Statesman (Walla Walla) 1864–1869
- Washington Gazette (Seattle) 1863
- Washington Pioneer (Olympia) 1853–1854
- Washington Statesman (Walla Walla) 1861–1864
- Weekly Argus (Port Townsend) 1870–1875
- The Yakima Herald (Yakima) 1889–1892
Washington Digital Libraries
- Aberdeen herald
- Adams County news
- Cayton's monthly
- Cayton's weekly
- Chronicle (Vancouver, Wash.)
- The Co-operative news
- The Colfax gazette
- Columbia courier
- The Colville examiner
- The Commonwealth
- Daily hub (Centralia, Wash.)
- The daily intelligencer
- The Daily Republican
- Den Danske Kronike
- The Eatonville dispatch
- The Ellensburg dawn
- The Evening statesman
- Evening telegraph (Tacoma, Wash.)
- Hellenic Review
- Industrial freedom
- The islander
- The Kennewick courier
- The Labor journal
- The Leavenworth echo
- The Lynden tribune
- The Newport miner
- Northwest enterprise (Anacortes, Wash.)
- The Northwest worker
- Oroville gazette
- Pullman herald
- The ranch
- The ranch
- Ranche and range
- The reformer's dawn
- The Republican
- The San Juan islander
- The Seattle Republican
- Shelton-Mason County journal
- The Spokane press
- The Tacoma times
- The Washington socialist
- Washington standard
- Washington State journal
- Washington State journal and Adams County news
- The weekly dawn
- The Wenatchee daily world
- The Yakima herald
County and Library Collections:
Clallam County Digital Newspaper Archives
- Clallam County Journal
- The Democrat
- Democrat Leader
- Dungeness Beacon
- Forks Forum
- The Herald
- Model Commonwealth
- The Olympic
- Olympic Leader
- Olympic Tribune
- Peninsula Herald
- Port Angeles Beacon
- Port Angeles Daily Herald
- Port Angeles Leader
- Port Angeles Olympic
- Port Angeles Olympic Leader
- Port Crescent Leader
- Weekly Herald
Clark County Historical Museum Newspapers Archive
- The Vancouver Independent
Wasington State Library - Olympian Index (Index only)
- Columbia Magazine (Washington State Historical Society)
- Eastside Week
- Seattle Magazine
- Seattle Weekly
- Washington CEO
- Washington Magazine
- Clark County History
- Columns (University of Washington)
- New Pacific
- Pacific Northwest Historical Quarterly
- Pacific Northwest Magazine
- Peninsula Magazine
- Puget Sound Business Journal
- Washington Journal
Bellevue College - Bellevue
- College Record (1892-1893)
- Evergreen (1895 - present)
- Upstream (1939-1941)
- Free Press (1962-1963)
- The Borderline (1964)
- 'SBlood (1967)
- Scorn (1968-1969)
- Three Forks Press (1970
- Burgerville Blues (1970)
- Publick Occurrences (1984-1985)
Kimble Northwest History Database (Clippings)
The Labor Press Project - Pacific Northwest Labor and Radical Newspapers
Nikkei Newspapers Digital Archive
Pacific Northwest Regional Newspaper and Periodical Index
Swedish American Newspapers
Small Town Papers
- Bothell Sentinel and Citizen Bothell, Washington
- Cheney Free Press Cheney, Washington
- Deer Park Tribune Deer Park, Washington
- Deer Park Union Unavailable, Washington
- The Dispatch-Eatonville Eatonville, Washington
- Edmonds Beacon Mukilteo, Washington
- The Goldendale Sentinel Goldendale, Washington
- The Issaquah Press Issaquah, Washington
- The Marysville Globe Marysville, Washington
- Mattawa Area News Mattawa, Washington
- Mt. Adams Sun Bingen, Washington
- Mukilteo Beacon Mukilteo, Washington
- Newcastle News Issaquah, Washington
- News & Standard Coulee City, Washington
- The Othello Outlook Othello, Washington
- The Palouse Republic Unavailable, Washington
- The Quincy Valley Post-Register Quincy, Washington
- The Ritzville Adams County Journal Ritzville, Washington
- Royal City Royal Review Unavailable, Washington
- Sammamish Review Issaquah, Washington
- Shelton-Mason County Journal Shelton, Washington
- The South Grant County Washington Sun Royal City, Washington
- The Star Grand Coulee, Washington
- Tri-County Tribune Colville, Washington
- The Wahkiakum County Eagle Cathlamet, Washington
- West Seattle Herald Burien, Washington
- The Woodinville Weekly Woodinville, Washington
Old Fulton Postcards
- Bonthe WA Earley Early Dawn
- Olympa WA Pioneer - Democrat 1854-1861
- Port Townsend WA Puget Sound Argus
- Seattle WA Puger Sound Dispatch
- Seattle WA Puger Sound Dispatch 1872-1874
- Seattle WA Puget Sound Weelky
- Spokane Falls WA Spokane Falls Review 1880-1883
- Vancouver WA Vancouver Register 1862-1869
- Walla Walla WA Wishington Statesman
The Olden Times - Washington
Newspaper Abstracts - Washington
For Obituary Indexes, transcriptions, and other death/obituary information from historic newspapers, please check out the Obituaries page.
Other Free Sites:
Auburn Home Port Townsend Seattle
- Catholic Northwest Progress
- Jewish Transcript
- Municipal News
- Pacific Fisherman Journal
- Puget Sound Chemist
- SDS News
- Seattle Post-Intelligencer
- Seattle Times
- Watcher on the Tower
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 14 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Washington Newspapers
There are currently 153 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - Washington Newspapers
There are currently 21 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - Washington
There are currently 43 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - Washington.
You also need to visit the Newspapers at the Washington State Library site from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online and other format newspaper availability.
Please note - even more may be available via a local or state library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspaper Links page on this website.