There are over 2,800 newspapers that have been published in the Old Dominion - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are many that are indeed available. So go for it - find your Virginia ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated December 2015)
Library of Virginia - Virginia Chronicle
- Afro-American Churchman (1886-1890)
- Alexandria Gazette (1887-1910)
- Bristol News (1868-1878)
- Children's Friend (1865-1884)
- Church Advocate (1892-1893)
- Clarke Courier (1899-1910)
- Clinch Valley News (1886-1922)
- Critic (1887-1889)
- Daily Press (1898-1910)
- Evening Truth (1887)
- Farm Bureau News (1986-1999)
- Highland Recorder (1893-1910)
- Jeffersonian Republican (1841-1859)
- Jeffersonian Republican (1873-1889)
- Lexington Gazette (1898-1912)
- Mountain Laurel (1983-1995)
- Our Church Paper (1875-1904)
- Peninsula Enterprise (1881-1922)
- Republican Farmer (1811)
- Richmond Dispatch (1880-1903)
- Richmond Planet (1889-1910)
- Richmond Times-Dispatch (1914-1922)
- Roanoke Daily Times (1889-1890)
- Shenandoah Herald (1878-1910)
- Staunton Eagle (1809-1810)
- Staunton Spectator and Vindicator (1896-1911)
- Staunton Spectator (1860-1896)
- Stephens City Star (1881-1883)
- Tazewell Republican (1897-1912)
- The Abingdon Virginian (1862-1864)
- The Amherst Progress (1904-1922)
- The Baptist Union (1895-1914)
- The Big Stone Gap Post (1892-1922)
- The Big Stone Post (1890-1892)
- The Campaign (1884-1888)
- The Casket (1878-1879)
- The Commercial Bulletin (1865)
- The Daily Dispatch (1852-1865)
- The Daily State Journal (1868-1874)
- The Daily Times (1886-1889)
- The Evening News (1899-1900)
- The Evening News (1903-1913)
- The Farmville Herald (1899-1910)
- The Free Lance (1899-1911)
- The Institute Jewel (1880)
- The Jewish South (1893-1899)
- The Labor Herald (1886)
- The Local News (1861-1862)
- The Mathews Journal (1905-1912)
- The Missionary Weekly (1889-1890)
- The Monocle (1929-1973)
- The Morning Mail (1853)
- The Native Virginian (1867-1870)
- The News (1865-1867)
- The Norfolk Post (1865-1866)
- The Norfolk Virginian (1895-1898)
- The Penny Post (1854-1855)
- The Princess Anne Times (1915-1918)
- The Richmond Mail (1853-1854)
- The Richmond Republican (1848-1851)
- The Roanoke Baptist union (1888-1894)
- The Roanoke Daily Times (1895-1897)
- The Roanoke Times (1890-1895)
- The Roanoke Times (1897-1898)
- The Soldiers' Journal (1864-1865)
- The Times (1890-1903)
- The Union Republican (1867)
- The Virginia Farm Bureau News (1941-1986)
- The Virginia State Journal (1864-1865)
- Times Dispatch (1903-1914)
- Virginia Citizen (1900-1910)
- Virginia Farmer (1908-1909)
- Virginia Gazette (1897-1913)
- Virginian-Pilot (1899-1900)
- Wytheville dispatch (1862-1875)
Chronicling America - Virginia Newspapers
- Abingdon 1849-1883 The Abingdon Virginian.
- Accomac 1881-1965 Peninsula enterprise.
- Alexandria 1834-1974 Alexandria gazette.
- Alexandria 1861-1862 The Local news.
- Alexandria 1868-1874 The Daily state journal.
- Berryville 1869-1997 Clarke courier.
- Big Stone Gap 1890-1892 The Big Stone post.
- Big Stone Gap, Wise County 1892-1928 The Big Stone Gap post.
- Bristol 1867-189? Bristol news.
- Bristol, Tenn., 1865-1867 The news.
- Farmville 1890-1934 The Farmville herald.
- Fredericksburg 1885-1926 The free lance.
- Irvington 1891-1921 Virginia citizen.
- Jeffersonville 18??-current Clinch Valley news.
- Lexington 1871-1962 Lexington gazette.
- Mathews C.H. [Court House], 1903-1937 The Mathews journal.
- Monterey, Highland County 1877-1972 Highland recorder.
- Newport News 1896-current Daily press.
- Norfolk 186?-189? The Norfolk Virginian.
- Norfolk 1865-1866 The Norfolk post.
- Norfolk 1898-1911 Virginian-pilot.
- Orange Court House 1867-187? The native Virginian.
- Rendezvous of Distribution 1864-1865 The Soldiers' journal.
- Richmond 1850-1884 The daily dispatch.
- Richmond 1883-1938 Richmond planet.
- Richmond 1884-1903 Richmond dispatch.
- Richmond 1885-18?? The Labor herald.
- Richmond 1886-1889 The Daily times.
- Richmond 1890-1903 The times.
- Richmond 1893-1899 The Jewish South.
- Richmond 1903-1914 The times dispatch.
- Richmond 1914-current Richmond times-dispatch.
- Roanoke 1886-1890 Roanoke daily times.
- Roanoke 1890-1895 The Roanoke times.
- Roanoke 1895-1897 The Roanoke daily times.
- Roanoke 1897-1977 The Roanoke times.
- Staunton 1849-1896 Staunton spectator.
- Staunton 1896-1916 Staunton spectator and vindicator.
- Stephens City 1881-1883 Stephens City star.
- Tazewell 1892-1919 Tazewell Republican.
- Williamsburg 1893-192? Virginia gazette.
- Woodstock 1865-1974 Shenandoah herald.
Fairfax County Historical Newspaper Index 1785-2000
- Alexandria Gazette (1785-1788), (July 25, 1854-December 31, 1855) and (May 3, 1860-January 20, 1865)
- Arlington County Record (1932-1933)
- Fairfax City Times (1961-1968)
- Fairfax County Independent (1929-1932)
- Fairfax Herald (1886-1973)
- Fairfax News (1872-1875, includes original image)
- Fairfax News - Herndon Observer (1925-1943)
- The Local News (1861-1862)
- The Rambler, Washington Star (1912-1928, includes transcribed text)
- Reston Times (1965-1987) and (2000)
Fredericksburg Newspaper Indexes 1736-1926 (Index only)
- Christian Banner, 1850 and 1862
- Democratic Recorder 1842-1861
- Fredericksburg Ledger, 1865-1874
- Fredericksburg New Era, 1865-1866
- Fredericksburg News 1847-1884
- Genius of Liberty
- Impartial Observer and the Rights of Man, 1811
- Political Arena 1827-1841
- The Free Lance 1885-1900
- The Free Lance Star 1926-1928
- Virginia Gazette 1736-1780
- Virginia Herald 1787-1876
- Virginia Star
- Fredericksburg Star
- Daily Star, 1877-1926
- Weekly Advertiser 1853-1860
- Weekly Recorder 1844-1847
Geography of Slavery in Virginia 1736-1803 (statewide)
Race & Place: Newspapers 1890-1935
- Charlottesville Reflector
- Richmond Planet
Prince William County newspapers (1721–1986)
- The Dumfries & Cherry Hill Merchant
- The Journal Messenger
- The Manassas Democrat 1909-1921
- The Manassas Gazette, 1872-1898
- Manassas Herald
- Manassas Weekly Gazette 1872 -1896, 1898
- The Manassas Journal 1895-1945
- Potomac News 1986, 1987, 1988
- The Prince William News 1921-1923
- Republican Journal & Dumfries Advertiser
- Virginia Gazette & Agricultural Repository
- Virginia Historical Chronicle
Pulaski County Archives
- Pulaski News Journal
- Pulaski News Review
- Pulaski Southwest Times
- Pulaski Times Journal
- Radford News Journal
Small Town Papers
- Clinch Valley Times St. Paul, Virginia
- The King George Journal King George, Virginia
- The Westmoreland Journal King George, Virginia
Virginia Google Newspaper Archive Listings
Old Fulton Postcards
- Hampton VA Southern Workman 1872-1886
- Virginia Beach VA Virginia Beach Sun 1952-1988
- Williamsburg VA Virginia Gazette 1736-1780
Other Free Sites:
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive.
- Daily Star
- Daily Star
- Fredericksburg Ledger
- Fredericksburg News
- Fredericksburg Star
- Free Lance
- Free Lance-Star
- Sunday Free Lance-Star
- Virginia Herald
- Norfolk & Portsmouth Herald
- Norfolk and Portsmouth Herald
- Norfolk Gazette and Publick Ledger
- Norfolk Herald
- Daily Express
- Petersburg Public Library Newspaper Index (Index only to 40 area newspapers)
- Rural Messenger
- Daily Richmond Enquirer
- Obituary Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Record of News, History and Literature
- Richmond Times Dispatch and Richmond News Leader (Index only)
- Richmond Afro-American
- Richmond Daily Dispatch
- Richmond Enquirer
- Richmond Then and Now: Newspaper Article (Clippings)
- Richmond Whig and Advertiser (Transcriptions)
- Virginia Argus
- Valley of the Shadow - Civil War Era Newspapers (7 newspapers)
- Valley Virginian
- Staunton Spectator
- Staunton Vindicator
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 17 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Virginia Newspapers
There are currently 158 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - Virginia
There are currently 49 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archives - Virginia
There are currently 42 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - Virginia
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Two of my favorites:
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to check out the Virginia Memory site, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to newspaper digitization projects.
Please note - even more may be available via a local library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.