There are about 1,100 newspapers that have been published in the Green Mountain State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your Vermont ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
Chronicling America: Vermont Newspapers
- Bennington 1858-1894 The Bennington banner.
- Bennington 1877-1877 The Bennington daily banner.
- Bennington 1891-1891 The daily banner.
- Bennington 1894-1902 Bennington semi-weekly banner.
- Bennington 19??-1961 The Bennington evening banner.
- Bennington 1903-19?? Bennington banner and reformer.
- Brattleboro 1834-1955 Vermont phœnix.
- Brattleboro 1836-1853 Windham County Democrat.
- Burlington 1827-1865 Burlington free press.
- Burlington 1839-1840 Le Patriote canadien.
- Burlington 1866-1928 Burlington weekly free press.
- Middlebury 1836-1838 The People's press, and anti-masonic Democrat.
- Middlebury 1838-1841 The People's press, and Addison County Democrat.
- Middlebury 1841-1843 The Middlebury people's press.
- Middlebury 1843-1844 The Northern galaxy, and Middlebury people's press.
- Middlebury 1844-1848 The Northern galaxy.
- Middlebury 1848-1850 The Middlebury galaxy.
- Middlebury 1850-1882 The Middlebury register.
- Middlebury 1883-1885 The Middlebury register and Addison County journal.
- Middlebury 1886-1937 Middlebury register.
- Montpelier 1831-1836 State journal.
- Montpelier 1836-1883 Vermont watchman and State journal.
- Montpelier 1883-1911 The Vermont watchman.
- Newport 1870-1877 Vermont farmer.
- Rutland 1823-1847 Rutland herald.
- Rutland 1848-1850 Rutland County herald.
- Rutland 1850-1852 The Rutland herald.
- Rutland 1852-1855 The Rutland County herald.
- Rutland 1873-1877 The Rutland daily globe.
- Rutland 1873-1877 The Rutland weekly globe.
- St. Albans 1864-1870 The Vermont transcript.
- St. Albans 1868-1870 Vermont daily transcript.
- St. Johnsbury 1837-1867 The Caledonian.
- St. Johnsbury 1867-1919 St. Johnsbury Caledonian.
- St. Johnsbury 1918-1920 The Evening Caledonian.
- St. Johnsbury 1919-1920 Weekly Caledonian.
- St. Johnsbury 1920-1920 St. Johnsbury Caledonian.
- Woodstock 1840-1844 The spirit of the age.
- Woodstock 1844-1845 The Woodstock age.
- Woodstock 1845-1913 Spirit of the age. volume
Other Free Sites
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive.)
- Bradford: Journal Opinion
- Burlington & Rutland: Burlington Free Press/Rutland Herald Newspaper Index (Index only)
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 2 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Vermont Newspapers
There are currently 51 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - Vermont Newspapers
There are currently 2 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - Vermont
There are currently 18 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - Vermont Just click on Vermont in the map to see all of the titles.
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Three of my favorites:
- Newspaper Cat - from the University of Florida
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to visit the Vermont Digital Newspaper Project site from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online newspaper availability.
Please note - even more may be available via a local or state library where a library card is required. Gale and ProQuest collections are often available if you have the proper card. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.