There are almost 600 newspapers that have been published in the Beehive State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your Utah ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated February, 2016)
Chronicling America - Utah
- American Fork 1903-1912 The Citizen.
- American Fork 1912-1979 American Fork citizen.
- Cedar City 1890-189? Iron County news.
- Cedar City 1893-1982 Iron County record.
- Coalville 1894-1923 The Coalville times.
- Garland 1906-191? The Garland globe.
- Garland 191?-1925 The Garland City globe.
- Great Salt Lake City 1859-1861 The Mountaineer.
- Great Salt Lake City 1867-1920 Deseret evening news.
- Lehi 1891-1917 The Lehi banner.
- Lehi 1913-1949 The Lehi sun.
- Logan 1902-1924 The Logan Republican.
- Mercur 1895-1913 The Mercur miner.
- Ogden City 1902-1910 The Ogden standard.
- Ogden City 1910-1913 The Evening standard.
- Ogden City 1913-1920 The Ogden standard.
- Ogden 1904-1910 The Morning examiner.
- Ogden 1910-191? The Morning standard.
- Ogden 1920-current The Ogden standard-examiner.
- Price 1895-1915 Eastern Utah advocate.
- Price 1915-1932 The Sun.
- Provo City 1891-1895 The Dispatch.
- Provo City 1898-1909 The Utah County Democrat.
- Provo City 1909-192? The Provo herald.
- Provo, City 1891-1895 The Evening dispatch.
- Provo 1904-1912 Deseret farmer.
- Salt Lake City 1870-1909 The Salt Lake herald.
- Salt Lake City 1899-1920 The Intermountain Catholic.
- Salt Lake City 1885-1887 Salt Lake evening Democrat.
- Salt Lake City 1890-current The Salt Lake tribune.
- Salt Lake City 1895-19?? The broad ax.
- Salt Lake City 1901-1908 Truth.
- Salt Lake City 1902-1902 The Inter-mountain farmer and ranchman.
- Salt Lake City 1902-1904 The Inter-mountain farmer [electronic resource].
- Salt Lake City 1902-1929 Goodwin's weekly : a thinking paper for thinking people.
- Salt Lake City 1909-1918 The Salt Lake herald-Republican.
- Spanish Fork 1902-current The Spanish Fork press.
- St. George 1878-1878 The union.
- St. George 1880-1882 The St. George union.
- St. George 1882-1898 The Union.
Utah Digital Newspapers 1850-2010
- Beaver City Press Jan 1908 Mar 1928
- Beaver Co. News May 1916 Apr 1928
- Milford News Apr 1928 Aug 1946
- Southern Utonian Sep 1881 Jan 1896
- Box Elder News Jan 1904 Dec 1926
- Brigham City Bugler May 1891 Apr 1895
- Corinne Reporter Jul 1871 Nov 1873
- Garland City Globe Feb 1906 Sep 1919
- Cache American Sep 1934 Sep 1938
- Cache Valley Clarion Dec 1920 Jul 1942
- Logan Nation Jul 1900 Aug 1903
- North Cache News Apr 1940 Dec 1945
- Logan Republican Sep 1902 Dec 1921
- Utah/Logan Journal Oct 1879 Mar 1898
- Carbon County News Dec 1908 Apr 1915
- Eastern Utah Advocate Feb 1897 Jan 1916
- Eastern Utah Telegraph Jan 1891 Jan 1892
- News-Advocate May 1915 Dec 1932
- The Sun Jun 1915 Jan 1921
- Davis County Clipper Mar 1892 Apr 1988
- Myton Free Press Apr 1915 May 1925
- Roosevelt Standard Aug 1914 Dec 1965
- Other Duchesne Co. papers May 1909 Jul 1967
- Emery County Progress Sep 1900 Jul 1910
- Green River Journal Jul 1955 Mar 1956
- Garfield Co. News May 1923 Mar 2005
- Panguitch Progress May 1913 Aug 1919
- Grand Valley Times May 1896 Aug 1919
- Times Independent Sep 1919 Dec 1978
- Iron County Record Dec 1890 Dec 1965
- Parowan Times Oct 1915 Dec 1945
- Eureka Reporter Nov 1902 Dec 1922
- Kane County Independent Apr 1912 Nov 1912
- Kane County Standard Jun 1929 Dec 1950
- Millard County Chronicle Jan 1914 Dec 1947
- Millard County Progress Jan 1894 Dec 1939
- Topaz Times May 1942 Aug 1945
- Morgan County News Apr 1910 Dec 1954
- Marysvale Free Lance Sep 1902 Jul 1904
- Piute Chieftain Apr 1916 Mar 1919
- Piute County News Oct 1924 Feb 1949
- Rich Co. News May 1896 Dec 1945
- American Eagle May 1897 Feb 1905
- Broad Ax Aug 1895 Jun 1899
- Deseret Farmer Jul 1908 Jul 1909
- Deseret News Jun 1850 Dec 1910
- Goodwin's Weekly May 1902 Jun 1919
- Intermountain Catholic Oct 1899 Dec 1910
- Intermountain Farmer Feb 1902 Jan 1903
- Intermountain Republican Feb 1906 Apr 1909
- Mountaineer Aug 1859 Jul 1861
- Murray Eagle Jan 1927 Sep 1960
- Salt Lake Community College Dec 1959 Jun 2010
- Salt Lake Democrat Mar 1885 Jul 1887
- Salt Lake Herald Jun 1870 Jul 1920
- Salt Lake Mining Review Apr 1899 Mar 1929
- Salt Lake Telegram Jan 1902 Aug 1952
- Salt Lake Tribune Apr 1871 Dec 1919
- Sugar House Bulletin Jan 1941 Dec 1956
- The Truth Jan 1905 Nov 1908
- Union Vedette Nov 1863 Nov 1867
- Univ. of Utah Chronicle Dec 1892 Oct 1963
- Utah Independent Nov 1908 Aug 1911
- Valley Tan Nov 1858 Feb 1860
- Western Light May 1914 May 1914
- San Juan Record Feb 1919 Dec 1953
- Ephraim Enterprise Sep 1891 Dec 1972
- Gunnison Gazete / Valley News Jan 1909 Dec 1935
- Manti Messenger Aug 1893 Dec 1973
- Manti Reporter Jul 1892 May 1893
- Manti Sentinel Jan 1892 May 1892
- Sanpete Free Press Jan 1902 Jul 1903
- Mt. Pleasant Pyramid Jan 1912 Mar 1950
- Richfield Reaper Mar 1906 Dec 1940
- Coalville Times Jul 1894 Jun 1908
- Park Record Jan 1881 Nov 1981
- Mercur Miner Jan 1904 Feb 1908
- Tooele County Chronicle Jun 1947 Dec 1948
- Tooele Transcript-Bulletin Sep 1894 Dec 1924
- Uintah Papoose Jan 1891 Feb 1892
- Vernal Express Feb 1892 Dec 1983
- American Fork Citizen Aug 1906 Dec 1922
- Evening Dispatch Jan 1891 Dec 1895
- Lehi Banner and Sun Jun 1891 Jul 1923
- Provo Daily Enquirer Jan 1881 Nov 1897
- Spanish Fork Herald Jul 1895 Dec 1910
- Utah Co. Democrat Aug 1898 Dec 1908
- Pleasant Grove Review Feb 1929 Sep 1947
- Springville Herald Feb 1924 Jul 1957
- Wasatch Wave Mar 1889 Dec 1922
- The Union Jun 1878 Dec 1896
- Washington County News Jan 1908 Dec 1945
- Ogden Standard-Examiner predecessors
- - Ogden Junction Jan 1879 Feb 1881
- - Ogden Herald May 1881 Dec 1887
- - Ogden Standard Jan 1888 Dec 1927
Logan's Historical Newspaper Collection (1879-1892 and 1893-1898)
Northern Utah's Digital Newspaper Collection
Brigham Young University - Harold B Lee Library Newspaper Collection
- 19th Century Mormon Article Newspaper Index
- Blackfoot Newspapers
- BYU History Collections
- Daily Enquirer
- Deseret News
- Deseret News Extra
- Evening and Morning Star
- Rexburg Newspapers
- The Evening and the Morning Star
- The Evening and the Morning Star Extra
- The Rigby Star
- Woman's Exponent
Weber County Newspapers (Abstracts)
Utah State University Digital Archives (1871- 1954)
- Box Elder
- Logan Historical Newspaper Collection 1879 - 1892
- Logan Historical Newspaper Collection 1893 - 1898
Pioneer Online Library - Digital Utah
Other Free Sites:
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive.)
Brigham City Corinne Logan City Morgan Provo Salt Lake City
- Deseret News
- Deseret News Salt Lake Telegram
- Deseret News,
- Deseret News,
- Saturday Morning Deseret News
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 13 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Utah Newspapers
There are currently 27 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - Utah Newspapers
There are currently 25 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - Utah
There are currently 36 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - Utah.
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Two of my favorites:
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to visit the Utah Digital Newspapers site from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online newspaper availability.
Please note - even more may be available via a local or state library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.