I have been an historic newspaper research addict for a long time. In the past several years I have decided to ratchet up my interest and share what I have learned through newspaper research-related blog articles, huge link lists, as well as video tutorials.
For all my articles about newspaper research, just navigate to the Newspapers! of this site and browse. There are plenty of articles to read. And lower on that page are links to free online collections from all over the world.
What I would like to relate now, however, is my list of the best free sites to find historical articles about your ancestors in newspapers. These are the first ones that I would use if I were starting out. They have been chosen not because of their interface - because some are better than others and some are not ideal. These are presented in no particular order. And remember that these are free sites only and you do not have to go to a library to access them.
- Elephind - over 149 million items (newspaper pages/articles) from several countries
- Library of Congress - Chronicling America - over 10.5 million pages from 43 states
- Google News Archive - over 2,500 newspapers
- Old Fulton NY Post Cards - over 34 million pages of New York State (and many other states) historical newspapers
- Trove - over 195 million articles from Australia
These are 5 of my very favorite LINK sites to online newspapers - again presented in no particular order:
Bowling Green State University - U.S., Canada, and World Newspaper Links
Wikipedia List of Online Newspaper Archives
ICON Newspaper Digitization Projects
Penn Libraries - Historical Newspapers Online
Online Historical Newspapers Website
Happy Hunting and Good Luck!