There are over 2,500 newspapers that have been published in the Volunteer State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are quite a few that are indeed available. So go for it - find your Tennessee ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
Chronicling America - Tennessee Newspapers
- Athens 1848-1917 The Athens post.
- Bolivar 1865-1888 The Bolivar bulletin.
- Bolivar 1888-1888 The West Tennessee star.
- Bolivar 1888-1946 The Bolivar bulletin.
- Bristol 1865-1867 The news.
- Bristol, 1867-189? Bristol news.
- Camden 1890-current The Camden chronicle.
- Chattanooga 1862-1864 The Chattanooga daily rebel.
- Clarksville 1886-1890 Clarksville evening chronicle.
- Clarksville 18??-185? The Clarksville weekly chronicle.
- Clarksville 185?-1857 Weekly Clarksville chronicle.
- Clarksville 1857-1865 Clarksville chronicle.
- Clarksville 186?-1872 Clarksville chronicle.
- Clarksville 1865-1867 Clarksville weekly chronicle.
- Clarksville 1873-1890 Clarksville weekly chronicle.
- Clarksville 1884-188? Clarksville daily chronicle.
- Clarksville 1890-1890 Clarksville evening tobacco leaf-chronicle.
- Clarksville 1890-1895 Daily tobacco leaf-chronicle.
- Cleveland 1876-1888 The weekly herald.
- Columbia 18??-1935 The Columbia herald.
- Columbia 1850-1873 The Columbia herald.
- Columbia 1873-188? The Herald and mail.
- Fayetteville 1850-1966 Fayetteville observer.
- Greeneville 1875-1877 Union and American.
- Greeneville 1877-18?? The union.
- Jackson 1870-1877 Whig and tribune.
- Johnson City 1884-1916 The comet.
- Jonesborough 1865-187? The Union flag.
- Jonesborough 1869-current Herald and tribune.
- Knoxville 1849-1855 Brownlow's Knoxville Whig and independent journal.
- Knoxville 1855-1861 Brownlow's Knoxville Whig.
- Knoxville 1859-1861 Tri-weekly Whig.
- Knoxville 1861-1861 Brownlow's weekly Whig.
- Knoxville 1863-1866 Brownlow's Knoxville Whig, and rebel ventilator.
- Knoxville 1864-1866 Knoxville tri-weekly Whig and rebel ventilator.
- Knoxville 1866-1869 Brownlow's Knoxville Whig.
- Knoxville 1868-18?? Brownlow's Knoxville Whig.
- Knoxville 1870-1875 Knoxville weekly chronicle.
- Knoxville 1870-1882 Knoxville daily chronicle.
- Knoxville 1875-1882 Knoxville Whig and chronicle.
- Lawrenceburg 1884-1925 Lawrence democrat.
- Loudon 1852-1855 Loudon free press.
- Maryville 1867-187? Maryville Republican.
- Maryville 187?-187? The Republican.
- Maryville 187?-1877 Maryville Republican.
- Maryville 1879-1883 Blount County democrat.
- Maryville 1884-1884 Maryville daily times.
- Maryville 1884-1944 The Maryville times.
- McMinnville 1879-current Southern standard.
- Memphis 1847-1886 Memphis daily appeal.
- Memphis 1865-1893 Public ledger.
- Memphis 1886-1890 The Memphis appeal.
- Milan 1874-1978 The Milan exchange.
- Morristown 1867-1920 The Morristown gazette.
- Nashville 1851-1855 The Daily Nashville true Whig.
- Nashville 1853-1862 Nashville union and American.
- Nashville 1855-1857 Nashville daily patriot.
- Nashville 1857-1858 Daily Nashville patriot.
- Nashville 1858-1860 Nashville patriot.
- Nashville 1860-1862 Daily Nashville patriot.
- Nashville 1862-1862 Daily Nashville union.
- Nashville 1862-1866 The Nashville daily union.
- Nashville 1862-1866 The Nashville weekly union.
- Nashville 1865-1866 Daily union and American.
- Nashville 1866-186? Tri-weekly union and American.
- Nashville 1866-1868 Nashville union and dispatch.
- Nashville 1868-1875 Nashville union and American.
- Nashville 1906-193? The Nashville globe.
- Nashville, 1851-1853 Nashville union.
- Pulaski 1866-current The Pulaski citizen.
- Rugby 1881-1882 The Rugbeian.
- Rugby. 1884-188? The Rugby gazette and east Tennessee news.
- Rugby 1890-189? The Rugby news.
- Rugby 1882-1883 The Rugbeian and district reporter.
- Rugby 1883-1884 Plateau gazette and east Tennessee news.
- Savannah 1885-1979 Savannah courier.
- Sequatchie 189?-1896 The Sequatchie news.
- Sequatchie 1896-1952 Sequachee Valley news.
- Sweetwater 1867-1869 The Sweetwater forerunner.
- Sweetwater 1869-187? The Sweetwater enterprise.
- Winchester 1862-1863 The daily bulletin.
- Winchester 1863-1863 Winchester daily bulletin.
- Winchester 1856-1856 The Winchester appeal.
- Winchester 1856-1856 The Winchester weekly appeal.
- Winchester 1857-1857 The home journal.
- Winchester 1857-1858 The Winchester home journal.
- Winchester 1858-188? The home journal.
- Winchester 1863-1863 Winchester army bulletin.
Tennessee State Library and Archives (must be Tennessee resident)
- Chattanooga Daily Gazette 1864-1865
- Chattanooga Daily Rebel 1862-1863
- Chattanooga Advertiser 1844-1862
- Jonesborough Whig, and Independent Journal 1839-1843
- Memphis Appeal 1892-1899
- Nashville Union 1845-1868
- Maryville Republican 1876
Sewanee The University of the South Newspapers
- Sewanee Daily Purple, 1894-1903
- Sewanee Daily Times, 1894
- Sewanee Life, 1884
- Sewanee Times, 1892-1894
- The College Widow, 1896 - 1903
- The Daily Connoisseur, 1893
- The Dot, 1883
- The Flea, 1882
- The Mountain, 1891-1892
- The Mountain News, 1878-1880
- The News, 1876-1877
- The Semi-Weekly University News, 1878
- The Sewanee Purple, 1894 - present
- The University Bulletin, 1879-1880
- The University Gossip, 1875
- The University News, 1875-1876
- The University Record, 1872-1875
- The University Record, 1879
- The Weekly Mountain News, 1878
Williamson County Obituaries
Small Town Papers
- The News-Democrat Waverly, Tennessee
Old Fulton Postcards
Death Notices in Nashville Newspapers 1855-1907
- Daily American (1875 - 1894)
- Daily Nashville Patriot (1855 - 1862)
- Daily Nashville True Whig (1855)
- Nashville American (1894-1907)
- Nashville Banner (1876-1907)
Southern Baptist Historical Library and Archives
- Tennessee Baptist
- Baptist and Reflector
Other Free Sites:
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive.)
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 14 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Tennessee Newspapers
There are currently 75 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - Tennessee Newspapers
There are currently 4 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - Tennesseee
There are currently 31 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - Tennessee
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Two of my favorites:
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to check out the Tennessee State Library and Archives site, which can tell you what is happening in the state with regard to the newspapers that are available via microfilm.
Please note - even more may be available via a local library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.