There are almost 1,500 newspapers that have been published in the Mount Rushmore State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your South Dakota ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated February, 2016)
Chronicling America - South Dakota
- Canton 1876-1877 Lincoln County advocate.
- Canton 18??-1890 Dakota farmers' advocate.
- Canton 1877-1897 The Canton advocate.
- Canton 1896-1896 Canton daily leader. volume
- Canton 1890-19?? Dakota farmers' leader.
- None, 1890-1890 The daily Dakota farmers' leader. volume
Beresford Public Library
- Beresford Republic
- Beresford News
- Union County Republic
- Beresford Weekly News
- Republic Beresford
- Beresford Union County Republic
Deadwood Historical Newspapers Index (Index only)
- Black Hills Champion
- Black Hills Pioneer
- Black Hills Times
Indian Country Today Index
Obituary Index of the Madison Daily Leader
Small Town Papers
- The Burke Gazette Burke, South Dakota
- The Canistota Clipper Canistota, South Dakota
- Freeman Courier Freeman, South Dakota
- The Hartford Area News Canistota, South Dakota
- Humboldt Journal Canistota, South Dakota
- Hutchinson Herald Menno, South Dakota
- Isabel Dakotan Isabel, South Dakota
- The Marion Record Canistota, South Dakota
- The Montrose Herald Canistota, South Dakota
- The New Era Parker, South Dakota
- Sanborn Weekly Journal Woonsocket, South Dakota
- The Wilmot Enterprise Wilmot, South Dakota
Other Free Sites:
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive.)
BurkeCanistotaCanovaFreemanHumboldtIsabelMarionMennoMontroseParkerRapid CitySioux FallsWoonsocket
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 16 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - South Dakota Newspapers
There are currently 27 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - South Dakota Newspapers
There are currently 25 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - South Dakota
There are currently 17 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - South Dakota.
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Two of my favorites:
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to visit the State Historical Society site from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online newspaper availability.
Please note - even more may be available via a local or state library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.