South Dakota is one of the states that does not have a single central online state repository for searching historical newspapers, and they do use the Library of Congress Chronicling America site as their main site for searching old newspapers. There are a several free online newspapers on other sites and collections available on subscription sites. Below is a list of where the titles are stored and the link so that you can access them.
There are almost 1,500 newspapers that have been published in the Mount Rushmore State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your South Dakota ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated May, 2018; recently added links are in BOLD)
Chronicling America - South Dakota
- Aberdeen, South Dakota, 1???-1909 - The Aberdeen Democrat.
- Aberdeen, South Dakota, 1890-190? - The state Democrat. [volume]
- Big Stone City, Dak. [S.D.], 1883-1890 - The herald.
- Big Stone City, Grant County, Dakota [S.D.] : Downie & Jackson, 1879-1883 - The Grant County herald.
- Canton, D.T. [S.D.], 1877-1897 - The Canton advocate.
- Canton, Dakota Territory, [S.D.], 1876-1877 - Lincoln County advocate.
- Canton, S.D., 18??-1890 - Dakota farmers' advocate.
- Canton, S.D., 1890-19?? - Dakota farmers' leader.
- Canton, South Dakota, 1890-1890 - The daily Dakota farmers' leader. [volume]
- Canton, South Dakota, 1896-1896 - Canton daily leader. [volume]
- Clifton, Dakota [S.D.], 1883-1894 - The Sully County watchman.
- Forest City, Potter County, D.T. [S.D.], 1883-19?? - Forest City press.
- Hot Spings [Hot Springs], Dakota [Dakota Territory, i.e. S.D.], 1886-189? - The Hot Springs star.
- Hot Springs, S.D., 1892-1917 - Hot Springs weekly star.
- Hurley, Dakota [S.D.], 1883-19?? - Turner County herald.
- Kimball, Brule County, Dakota [S.D.], 188?-1883 - Kimball enterprise.
- Kimball, Brule County, Dakota [S.D.], 1883-1905 - The Kimball graphic.
- Lemmon, Perkins County, S.D., 1912-1917 - The Lemmon herald.
- Milbank, Grant County, S.D., 188?-1890 - The advance.
- Milbank, S.D., 1890-1922 - The herald-advance.
- Mitchell, Dakota [S.D.], 1879-1918 - The Mitchell capital.
- North Lemmon, Adams County, N.D., 1907-1912 - The State-line herald.
- Pierre, S.D., 1889-19?? - Pierre weekly free press.
- Rapid City, Pennington County, Dakota [S.D.], 1889-1904 - The Black Hills union.
- Rapid City, S.D., 1904-19?? - The Black Hills union and western stock review.
- Scotland, Bon Homme County, S.D., 1???-19?? - The citizen-Republican.
- Sioux Falls, Süd=Dakota, 18??-1900 - Süd Dakota Nachrichten.
- Sioux Falls, Süd=Dakota, 1900-1901 - Süd=Dakota Nachrichten und Herold.
- Sioux Falls, Süd-Dakota, 1901-1907 - Nachrichten=Herold.
- Sioux Falls, Süd-Dakota, 1907-1918 - Deutscher Herold. [volume]
- Sisseton, Roberts County, S.D., 1892-1929 - The Sisseton weekly standard.
- Watertown, S.D., 19??-19?? - Saturday news.
- Wessington Springs, Aurora County, Dakota [S.D.], 1883-1891 - Wessington Springs herald.
- Yankton, Dakota Territory [S.D.], 1875-1875 - Yankton daily press and Dakotaian.
- Yankton, Dakota Territory [S.D.], 1875-1880 - Daily press and Dakotaian.
- Yankton, Dakota Territory [S.D.], 1880-1889 - Press and daily Dakotaian.
Google News Archive
- Burke - The Burke Gazette
- Canistota - The Canistota Clipper
- Canova - The Canova Herald
- Freeman - Freeman South Dakota Courier
- Freeman - Freeman Courier
- Hartford - The Hartford
- Humboldt - The Humboldt Journal
- Humboldt - The Hartford Area News
- Isabel - Isabel Dakotan
- Marion - The Marion Record
- Menno - Hutchinson Herald
- Montrose - The Montrose Herald
- Parker - The New Era
- Wilmont - The Wilmot Enterprise
- Woonsocket - Woonsocket News
- Woonsocket - Sanborn Weekly Journal
South Dakota Newspaper Indexes
- Black Hills Daily Times
- Indian Country Today
- Rapid City Journal
- SDSU Collegian Index
- Sioux Falls Argus-Leader
County and Library Collections:
Beresford Public Library
- Beresford Republic
- Beresford News
- Beresford 100 Years
- Union County Republic
- Beresford Weekly News
- Beresford 75th Diamond Jubilee
- Republic Beresford
- Beresford Union County Republic
- Beresford High School Title
Deadwood Historical Newspapers Index
- Argus Leader (1996 - July 2003)
- Argus Leader - old (1979 - 1995)
- Black Hills Champion
- Black Hills Pioneer
- Black Hills Times
- Indian Country Today (1996 - June 2003)
- Rapid City Journal (1999 - 2005)
Augustana University - Sioux Falls
Small Town Papers
- The Burke Gazette Burke, South Dakota
- The Canistota Clipper Canistota, South Dakota
- Freeman Courier Freeman, South Dakota
- The Hartford Area News Canistota, South Dakota
- Humboldt Journal Canistota, South Dakota
- Hutchinson Herald Menno, South Dakota
- Isabel Dakotan Isabel, South Dakota
- The Marion Record Canistota, South Dakota
- The Montrose Herald Canistota, South Dakota
- The New Era Parker, South Dakota
- Sanborn Weekly Journal Woonsocket, South Dakota
- The Wilmot Enterprise Wilmot, South Dakota
- Woonsocket News Woonsocket, South Dakota
Old Fulton Postcards
- Elk Point SD Dakota Gleaner
- Elk Point SD Leader Courier
- Elk Point SD Union County Courier
- Elk Point SD Union County Herald
- Sturgis SD Weekly Record
Newspaper Abstracts - South Dakota
For Obituary Indexes, transcriptions, and other death/obituary information from historic newspapers, please check out the Obituaries page.
Other Free Sites:
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 16 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - South Dakota Newspapers
There are currently 39 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - South Dakota Newspapers
There are currently 28 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - South Dakota
There are currently 68 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - South Dakota.
You also need to visit the State Historical Society site from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online newspaper availability.
Please note - even more may be available via a local or state library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspaper Links page on this website.