There are almost 1,500 newspapers that have been published in the Mount Rushmore State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your South Dakota ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated June, 2017)
Chronicling America - South Dakota
- Aberdeen, South Dakota, 1???-1909 - The Aberdeen Democrat.
- Canton, D.T. [S.D.], 1877-1897 - The Canton advocate.
- Canton, Dakota Territory, [S.D.], 1876-1877 - Lincoln County advocate.
- Canton, S.D., 18??-1890 - Dakota farmers' advocate.
- Canton, S.D., 1890-19?? - Dakota farmers' leader.
- Forest City, Potter County, D.T. [S.D.], 1883-19?? - Forest City press.
- Hot Spings [Hot Springs], Dakota [Dakota Territory, i.e. S.D.], 1886-189? - The Hot Springs star.
- Hot Springs, S.D., 1892-1917 - Hot Springs weekly star.
- Hurley, Dakota [S.D.], 1883-19?? - Turner County herald.
- Kimball, Brule County, Dakota [S.D.], 188?-1883 - Kimball enterprise.
- Kimball, Brule County, Dakota [S.D.], 1883-1905 - The Kimball graphic.
- Mitchell, Dakota [S.D.], 1879-1918 - The Mitchell capital.
- None, 1890-1890 - The daily Dakota farmers' leader. volume
- None, 1890-190? - The state Democrat. volume
- None, 1896-1896 - Canton daily leader. volume
- Pierre, S.D., 1889-19?? - Pierre weekly free press.
- Rapid City, Pennington County, Dakota [S.D.], 1889-1904 - The Black Hills union.
- Rapid City, S.D., 1904-19?? - The Black Hills union and western stock review.
- Scotland, Bon Homme County, S.D., 1???-19?? - The citizen-Republican.
- Sisseton, Roberts County, S.D., 1892-1929 - The Sisseton weekly standard.
- Watertown, S.D., 19??-19?? - Saturday news.
- Wessington Springs, Aurora County, Dakota [S.D.], 1883-1891 - Wessington Springs herald.
- Yankton, Dakota Territory [S.D.], 1875-1875 - Yankton daily press and Dakotaian.
- Yankton, Dakota Territory [S.D.], 1875-1880 - Daily press and Dakotaian.
- Yankton, Dakota Territory [S.D.], 1880-1889 - Press and daily Dakotaian.
Beresford Public Library
- Beresford Republic
- Beresford News
- Union County Republic
- Beresford Weekly News
- Republic Beresford
- Beresford Union County Republic
Deadwood Historical Newspapers Index (Index only)
- Black Hills Champion
- Black Hills Pioneer
- Black Hills Times
Small Town Papers
- The Burke Gazette Burke, South Dakota
- The Canistota Clipper Canistota, South Dakota
- Freeman Courier Freeman, South Dakota
- The Hartford Area News Canistota, South Dakota
- Humboldt Journal Canistota, South Dakota
- Hutchinson Herald Menno, South Dakota
- Isabel Dakotan Isabel, South Dakota
- The Marion Record Canistota, South Dakota
- The Montrose Herald Canistota, South Dakota
- The New Era Parker, South Dakota
- Sanborn Weekly Journal Woonsocket, South Dakota
- The Wilmot Enterprise Wilmot, South Dakota
Old Fulton Postcards
- Elk Point SD Dakota Gleaner 1874
- Elk Point SD Leader Courier 1965-2010
- Elk Point SD Union County Herald 1936-1947
- Elk Point SD Union County Courier 1864-1990
Indian Country Today Index
Obituary Index of the Madison Daily Leader
Hand County, South Dakota Obits & Death Notices From Early Newspapers
Rapid City Journal Obituary Index
Other Free Sites:
Burke Canistota Canova Freeman Humboldt Isabel Marion Menno Montrose Parker Sioux Falls Woonsocket
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 16 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - South Dakota Newspapers
There are currently 38 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - South Dakota Newspapers
There are currently 28 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - South Dakota
There are currently 65 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - South Dakota.
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Two of my favorites:
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to visit the State Historical Society site from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online newspaper availability.
Please note - even more may be available via a local or state library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.