I love old photos, whether they are portraits of my ancestors or historical photos for the period when they lived. And it is important to a complete research that one attempts to understand the environment that surrounds our ancestors' lives if one wants to truly appreciate what they went through.
So where can they be found? Obviously the best resource is our own photo albums and those that our relatives possess. But what about other resources? Many archives, historical societies, libraries and genealogical societies have collections of old photos. And in the past few years there has been a massive movement towards making these historical photo collections available online. Some have search capabilities where you can actually put in a surname or a location, name of a building or historical event and find what is available.
For the state of Oregon, what collections are available for you to browse and/or search online? Here is a list of sites to start with. Please feel free to add in the comments other online resources that you might be aware of in the state.
Please be aware that there may be very strict rules regarding downloading or other use of the images that you may find. Copyright and other legal protections may be in force. Make sure that you read the limitations of use for any image that you find in these collections and wish to download and/or copy. It is your responsibility to adhere to the rules for all of these collections.
Please note that links to these sites may change in the future. The author (me) will not be constantly checking and updating these links, so if you find a broken link, please use your favorite search engine to locate the new link.
Oregon Sites for Historical Photos
This is just a sampling of some of the larger collections. By no means is this an exhaustive list. Almost every city and county library in the state, college and university library, as well as historical society has a photo collection. Many are not available online, yet many do have online access.
- Baker County Historic Photographs
- Baker Photo Archive
- Beaverton Historical Photo Gallery
- Beaverton Historical Society Photos
- Deschutes County Historical Society Photos
- Douglas County Museum Photos
- Keizer Heritage Foundation Photos
- Lane County Photo Catalog
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Online Catalog
- National Archives - Digital Photograph Collections
- Oregon Encyclopedia
- Oregon Historic Photograph Collections
- Oregon Historical Photos
- Oregon Historical Society Photograph Gallery
- Oregon History Project
- Oregon Pioneer Photo Gallery
- Portland Historic Photos
- Smithsonian Images
- Southern Oregon Historical Society Photos
- University of Oregon Libraries - Historic Photograph Collections
- Washington County Heritage Online
For historic photos from other states as well as articles about photo research, please visit the Photos page.
Good luck and happy hunting!