Many family history and genealogy researchers who are used to searching for articles about our ancestors in old newspapers have gotten spoiled with the increasingly robust online collections that are available for free.
But did you know that there are other quite large collections that are available via your local library or a library that may require a little bit more drive time?
One example of such a service is ProQuest. They have many titles that are searchable, depending on the subscription that your library has invested in.
Check out their availability at your local library, state or county library, or at a college or university near you to see if ProQuest is available. You will be glad that you checked out these resources from the ProQuest Historical Newspapers Collection.
Here is a list of what they have available:
- The Arizona Republican—1890-2007
- Atlanta Constitution—1868-1984
- Austin American Statesman—1871-1978*
- The Baltimore Sun—1837-1991*
- The Boston Globe—1872-1985*
- The Chicago Tribune—1849-1993*
- The Christian Science Monitor—1908-2004*
- Cincinnati Enquirer—1841-2009
- Dayton Daily News—1898-1922
- Detroit Free Press—1831-1999
- Hartford Courant—1764-1991*
- Indianapolis Star—1903-2004
- Los Angeles Times—1881-1993*
- The Louisville Courier-Journal—1830-2000
- Minneapolis Star Tribune—1867-2001
- Nashville Tennessean—1812-2002
- The New York Times (1851-2014*) with Index —(1851-1993)
- New York Tribune / Herald Tribune—1841-1962
- The Philadelphia Inquirer—1860-2001
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette—1786-2003
- San Francisco Chronicle—1865-1922
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch—1874-2003
- Wall Street Journal—1889-2000*
- Washington Post—1877-2000*
- Chinese Newspapers Collection—1832-1953
- South China Morning Post—1903-1998*
- The Globe and Mail—1844-2013*
- The Guardian (1821-2003) & The Observer—(1791-2003)
- Irish Times (1859-2015*) & Weekly Irish Times—(1876-1958)
- Jerusalem Post—1932-2008
- The Korea Times—1956-2016
- The Scotsman—1817-1950
- The Times of India—1838-2008*
- Toronto Star—1894-2015*
- Atlanta Daily World—1931-2003
- The Baltimore Afro-American—1893-1988
- Cleveland Call & Post—1934-1991
- Chicago Defender—1910-1975
- Los Angeles Sentinel—1934-2005
- New York Amsterdam News—1922-1993
- The Norfolk Journal & Guide—1921-2003
- The Philadelphia Tribune—1912-2001
- Pittsburgh Courier—1911-2002
- The American Hebrew & Jewish Messenger—1857-1922
- The American Israelite—1854-2000
- The Jewish Advocate—1905-1990
- Jewish Exponent—1887-1990
- ProQuest Civil War Era - 1840-1865
- Communist Historical Newspaper Collection - 1917-2013
If you have a library card you might just be able to login and search from home.
Newspapers are being digitized at an increasing rate, so search the free sites online, invest in a subscription as well, but for sure - do not forget the old standby - your library.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more free online (not library based) links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.