I love old photos, whether they are portraits of my ancestors or historical photos for the period when they lived. And it is important to a complete research that one attempts to understand the environment that surrounds our ancestors' lives if one wants to truly appreciate what they went through.
So where can they be found? Obviously the best resource is our own photo albums and those that our relatives possess. But what about other resources? Many archives, historical societies, libraries and genealogical societies have collections of old photos. And in the past few years there has been a massive movement towards making these historical photo collections available online. Some have search capabilities where you can actually put in a surname or a location, name of a building or historical event and find what is available.
For the state of Oklahoma what collections are available for you to browse and/or search online? Here is a list of sites to start with. Please feel free to add in the comments other online resources that you might be aware of in the state.
Please be aware that there may be very strict rules regarding downloading or other use of the images that you may find. Copyright and other legal protections may be in force. Make sure that you read the limitations of use for any image that you find in these collections and wish to download and/or copy. It is your responsibility to adhere to the rules for all of these collections.
Please note that links to these sites may change in the future. The author (me) will not be constantly checking and updating these links, so if you find a broken link, please use your favorite search engine to locate the new link.
(Updated November, 2018; recently added links are in BOLD)
- Broken Arrow Historical Photo Archive
- Cherokee Strip Regional Heritage Center
- Chilocco Indian School Historical Photos
- Cleveland County Photo Gallery
- Comanche Nation Education Center - Library - Lawton
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Online Catalog
- Midwest City Historical Photos
- Moore Photo History
- Museum of the Great Plains Photo Archive
- Museum of the Great Plains - Lawton
- Muskogee Photos and Postcards
- National Archives - Digital Photograph Collections
- Norman Museum Photo Gallery
- OKGenWeb Photo Gallery
- Oklahoma City Historic Photos
- Oklahoma Digital Collections - scan through this pdf for many sites with online photos
- Oklahoma Digital Prairie
- Oklahoma Historical Society FLICKR Collection
- Oklahoma Historical Society Photo Archives
- Oklahoma Historical Society - Oklahoma City
- Oklahoma History Photos
- Oklahoma Images
- Oklahoma Old Photos
- Oklahoma State University Historical Photos
- Ottawa County Vintage Photographs
- Plains Indians & Pioneers Museum - Woodward
- Smithsonian Images
- Tulsa Historical Society Photo Archives
- Tulsa Library Digital Collections
- University of Central Oklahoma Archives Photograph Collection
- Wagoner Historical Photos
- Western History Collections Photographic Archives
For historic photos from other states as well as articles about photo research, please visit the Photos page.
Good luck and Happy Hunting!