There are over 3,600 newspapers that have been published in the Sooner State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your Oklahoma ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
Chronicling America: Oklahoma Newspapers
- Anadarko 190?-1908 The Daily democrat.
- Anadarko 1901-190? Anadarko daily democrat.
- Anadarko 1908-191? Anadarko daily democrat.
- Anadarko 191?-191? Anadarko morning democrat.
- Anadarko 191?-1915 The Daily democrat.
- Ardmore 1893-current The Daily Ardmoreite.
- Atoka, I.T. 1884-1884 The Branding iron.
- Beaver, O.T. 1895-1923 The Beaver herald.
- Darlington, Indian Territory 1879-1886 Cheyenne transporter.
- Durant, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory 190?-1944 Durant weekly news.
- Elgin 1912-1922 Farmers' champion.
- Guthrie 1893-1996 The Guthrie daily leader.
- Krebs 1912-192? The Oklahoma miner.
- Langston City, O.T. 1891-1902 The Langston City herald.
- Muskogee, Indian Territory 1901-19?? The Muskogee cimeter.
- Oklahoma City 1908-1984 The Oklahoma City times.
- Sacred Heart 1???-1910 The Indian advocate.
- Tulsa, Indian Territory 1905-1919 Tulsa daily world.
- Tulsa 1913-1921 The Tulsa star.
- Tulsa 1919-1927 The Morning Tulsa daily world.
- Vinita, Indian Territory 1882-1902 Indian chieftain.
Gateway to Oklahoma History 1840s-1920s
- Beaver Herald
- Branding Iron (Atoka)
- Canadian Valley News
- Carney Enterprise
- Cherokee County Democrat
- Cheyenne Transporter
- Cleveland County Enterprise
- Daily Democrat (Anadarko)
- Daily Oklahoma State Capital
- Durant Weekly News
- Edmond Enterprise
- Enid Eagle
- Enid Weekly Wave
- Fairland News-Herald
- Farmers' Champion
- Hennessey Clipper
- Indian Chieftain (Vinita)
- Lawton Constitution
- Lexington and Cleveland County Leader
- Luther Register
- Norman Daily Transcript
- Norman Democrat-Topic
- Norman Transcript (Weekly)
- Oklahoma City Pointer
- Oklahoma Digital Newspaper Program
- Oklahoma Farmer
- Oklahoma Farmer and Laborer (Guthrie)
- Oklahoma Leader (Guthrie)
- Oklahoma Leader (Oklahoma City)
- Oklahoma Miner (Krebs, Okla.)
- Oklahoma Neuigkeiten
- Oklahoma State Register
- Oklahoma Times-Journal
- Pauls Valley Democrat
- People’s Voice (Norman)
- Perry Enterprise-Times
- Pittsburg County Guardian
- Prague Record
- Shawnee Daily News-Herald
- State Sentinel
- Stroud Democrat
- The Chandler News
- The Chandler Publicist
- The Choctaw Herald
- The Daily Ardmoreite
- The Edmond Sun-Democrat
- The El Reno Democrat
- The Enid Echo
- The Guthrie Daily Leader
- The Hennessey Eagle
- The Hennessey Kicker
- The Herald-Sentinel (Cordell and Cloud Chief)
- The Indian Advocate (Sacred Heart)
- The Konawa Chief-Leader
- The Langston City Herald (Langston City)
- The Medford Patriot
- The Medford Star
- The Muskogee Cimeter
- The New Era
- The Oklahoma City Times
- The Oklahoma Guide
- The Oklahoma Post
- The Oklahoma Representative
- The Press-Democrat
- The Southwest World
- The State Journal (Mulhall)
- Tulsa Daily World
- Tulsa Democrat
- Tulsa Star
McAlester Newspaper Digitization Project 1874-1914 (over 25 newspapers)
Other Free Sites
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive.)
- Altus Times
- Altus Times-Democrat
- The American (Delaware & Ottawa)
- Boise City News
- Daily O'Collegian Archives
- Daily Leader (Frederick)
- Daily Times Democrat (Altus)
- Drumright Gusher
- Durant Daily Democrat
- Frederick Daily Leader
- Heavener Ledger
- Hennessey Clipper
- Nowata Star
- Perkins Journal
- Stillwater Journal
- Thomas Tribune
- Valiant Leader
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 66 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Oklahoma Newspapers
There are currently 10 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - Oklahoma Newspapers
There are currently 130 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - Oklahoma
There are currently 65 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - Oklahoma. Just click on Oklahoma in the map to see all of the titles.
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Two of my favorites:
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to visit the The Gateway to Oklahoma History site from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online newspaper availability.
Please note - even more may be available via a local or state library where a library card is required. Gale and ProQuest collections are often available if you have the proper card. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.