There are almost 1,500 newspapers that have been published in the Peace Garden State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your North Dakota ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated February, 2016)
Chronicling America - North Dakota
- Beach, Billings County, N.D., 1905-1916 Golden Valley chronicle.
- Bismarck, D.T. [N.D.], 1873-1875 The Bismarck tribune. volume
- Bismarck, D.T. [N.D.], 1875-1878 Bismarck weekly tribune.
- Bismarck, D.T. [N.D.], 1875-1881 Bismarck tri-weekly tribune.
- Bismarck, D.T. [N.D.], 1878-1884 Bismarck tribune.
- Bismarck, Dakota [N.D.], 1881-1916 Bismarck daily tribune.
- Bismarck, Dakota [N.D.], 1884-1943 Bismarck weekly tribune.
- Bismarck, N.D., 1916-current The Bismarck tribune.
- Devils Lake, N.D., 1909-1915 Devils Lake inter-ocean.
- Devils Lake, N.D., 1911-1911 The Devils Lake world.
- Devils Lake, N.D., 1911-1914 Devils Lake weekly world.
- Devils Lake, N.D., 1914-1915 Devils Lake world.
- Devils Lake, N.D., 1915-1920 The Devils Lake world and inter-ocean.
- Devils Lake, N.D., 1920-1982 The Devils Lake world.
- Devils Lake, Ramsey Co., Dakota [N.D.], 1884-1905 Devils Lake inter-ocean.
- Devils Lake, Ramsey County, N.D., 1905-1909 Devils Lake inter-ocean and Devils Lake free press.
- Fargo, N.D., 1915-1921 The Nonpartisan leader.
- Grand Forks, N.D., 1906-1914 The Evening times.
- Grand Forks, N.D., 1914-1914 Grand Forks daily herald and the evening times.
- Grand Forks, N.D., 1914-1916 Grand Forks daily herald.
- Grand Forks, N.D., 1916-1955 Grand Forks herald.
- Jamestown, Stutsman County, D.T. [N.D.], 1878-1882 Jamestown alert.
- Jamestown, Stutsman County, D.T. [N.D.], 1882-1925 Jamestown weekly alert.
- Little Missouri, Dakota [i.e. N.D.], 1884-1886 The Bad Lands cow boy.
- Minot, Ward County, N.D., 1902-1965 The Ward County independent.
- Pembina, Dakota [N.D.], 1883-1928 The Pioneer express.
- Valley City, N.D., 1912-1922 The weekly times-record.
- Wahpeton, Richland County, Dakota [N.D.], 1879-1919 The Wahpeton times.
- Williston, Williams County, N.D., 1895-1919 Williston graphic.
Small Town Papers
- The Billings County Pioneer Beach, North Dakota
- The Dickey County Leader Ellendale, North Dakota
- Golden Valley News Beach, North Dakota
- Lake Metigoshe Mirror Bottineau, North Dakota
- Mouse River Journal Towner, North Dakota
- The New Salem Journal New Salem, North Dakota
- The Oakes Times Oakes, North Dakota
- Turtle Mountain Star Rolla, North Dakota
- Valley News and Views Drayton, North Dakota
- Walsh County Press Park River, North Dakota
Other Free Sites:
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive.)
- Fargo Forum Obituaries
- The Spectrum Index (Index only)
- The Spectrum Archives
- Fargo Forum Newspaper Index, 1879-1995 (Index only)
- Herald (Index only)
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 13 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - North Dakota Newspapers
There are currently 23 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - North Dakota Newspapers
There are currently 5 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - North Dakota
There are currently 4 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - North Dakota.
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Two of my favorites:
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to visit the State Historical Society site from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online newspaper availability. There are also other useful newspaper-related resources at that site.
Please note - even more may be available via a local or state library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.