I love old photos, whether they are portraits of my ancestors or historical photos for the period when they lived. And it is important to a complete research that one attempts to understand the environment that surrounds our ancestors' lives if one wants to truly appreciate what they went through.
So where can they be found? Obviously the best resource is our own photo albums and those that our relatives possess. But what about other resources? Many archives, historical societies, libraries and genealogical societies have collections of old photos. And in the past few years there has been a massive movement towards making these historical photo collections available online. Some have search capabilities where you can actually put in a surname or a location, name of a building or historical event and find what is available.
For the state of North Carolina, what collections are available for you to browse and/or search online? Here is a list of sites to start with. Please feel free to add in the comments other online resources that you might be aware of in the state.
Please be aware that there may be very strict rules regarding downloading or other use of the images that you may find. Copyright and other legal protections may be in force. Make sure that you read the limitations of use for any image that you find in these collections and wish to download and/or copy. It is your responsibility to adhere to the rules for all of these collections.
Please note that links to these sites may change in the future. The author (me) will not be constantly checking and updating these links, so if you find a broken link, please use your favorite search engine to locate the new link.
North Carolina Sites for Historical Photos
This is just a sampling of some of the larger collections. By no means is this an exhaustive list. Almost every city and county library in the state, college and university library, as well as historical society has a photo collection. Many are not available online, yet many do have online access.
- Documenting the American South
- Durham Historic Photographic Archives
- Durham County Library - North Carolina Collection
- East Carolina University Digital Collections
- Images of North Carolina
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Online Catalog
- National Archives - Digital Photograph Collections
- NC ECHO - search engine for photos and other digital collections
- North Carolina Digital Collections - many photos in sub-collections
- North Carolina State University Digital Collections
- Outer Banks History Center
- Smithsonian Images
- State Archives of North Carolina
- The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Story
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - Online Resources
- University of North Carolina Greensboro - Online Collections