There are over 2,600 newspapers that have been published in the Tar Heel State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your North Carolina ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
Chronicling America - North Carolina Newspapers
- Asheville 1882-1889 The Asheville citizen.
- Asheville 1889-1890 The daily citizen.
- Asheville 1890-1900 Asheville daily citizen.
- Boone 1888-current Watauga Democrat.
- Charlotte 1870-1881 The Charlotte Democrat.
- Charlotte 1881-1887 Charlotte home and Democrat.
- Charlotte 1887-1897 The Charlotte Democrat.
- Elizabeth City 1908-1936 The independent.
- Newbern 1858-1863 Newbern weekly progress.
- Newbern 1863-186? Newbern progress.
- Raleigh 1834-1850 The North-Carolina standard.
- Raleigh 1850-1852 North Carolina standard.
- Raleigh 1850-1858 Weekly North Carolina standard.
- Raleigh 1852-1853 Semi-weekly North-Carolina standard.
- Raleigh 1853-18?? Semi-weekly standard.
- Raleigh 1858-1865 Weekly standard.
- Raleigh 186?-1869 The weekly North-Carolina standard.
- Raleigh 1866-1868 The tri-weekly standard.
- Raleigh 1869-18?? The weekly standard.
- Tarboro 1867-1873 The Tarboro' southerner.
- Tarboro 1874-1875 The Enquirer southerner.
- Tarboro 1875-19?? The Tarborough southerner.
- Tarboro 1852-1867 The southerner.
- Tarboro 1835-1851 Tarboro' press.
North Carolina Newspaper Digitization Project 1751-1898
Edenton (Chowan County)
- Edenton Gazette, Nov. 19, Dec. 11, 1800; Apr. 9, 1801
- Edenton Intelligencer, Apr. 9, Jun. 4, 1788
- Encyclopedian Instructor, May 21, 1800
- North-Carolina Gazette, Dec. 19, 1787
- North Carolina Gazette or Edenton Intelligencer, Dec.19, 1787
- Post Angel, Sept. 10, Nov. 12, 1800
- Fayetteville Gazette, Apr. 30-Aug. 6, 1793; Aug. 24, Sept. 14, Sept. 21, Oct. 12, 1789
- Fayetteville Gazette, [Aug. 7, 1792-Nov. 19, 1793]
- North-Carolina Centinel, Jul. 25, Aug. 8, 15, 29, 1795
- North-Carolina Chronicle, [Feb 1, 1790-Mar. 7, 1791]
- North Carolina Gazette, Oct. 6, 1785; Feb. 16, 1786
- Martin’s North Carolina Gazette and New Bern Advertiser, July 11, Aug. 1, Aug. 15, Dec. 15, 1787
- North-Carolina Gazette, Nov. 15, 1751; Mar. 6, 13, 1752; July 7, undated copy, 1753; Apr. 15, 1757; Oct. 18, 1759
- North Carolina Gazette, [Jun. 24, 1768-Nov. 30, 1778]
- Newbern Gazette, [Aug. 25, 1798 – Apr. 25, 1801]
- North Carolina Gazette or Impartial Intelligencer and weekly General Advertiser, [Aug.1783-Dec.1784]
- North Carolina Magazine, Jun. 29, 1764 – Jan. 18, 1765
- North Carolina Gazette and New Bern Advertiser, [1785-1787]
- North-Carolina Mercury, Jun. 27, Dec. 5 - Dec. 16, 1799, [Jan. 2, 1800 – Aug. 13, 1801]
- The Western Carolinian, [1820-1842]
- Carolina Watchman, [1832-1898]
- Cape Fear Mercury, [1769-1775]
- Hall's Wilmington Gazette, [1797-1798]
- The North Carolina Gazette and Wilmington Post boy, [1756-1766]
- The Wilmington Centinel, [1788-1789]
North Carolina Newspapers 1824-2012
- The Alamance Gleaner (Graham, N.C.)
- The Badin Bulletin (Albemarle, N.C.)
- Beasley’s Farm and Home Weekly (Charlotte, N.C.)
- The Carolina Times (Durham, N.C.)
- Catawba Journal (Charlotte, N.C.)
- The Central Times (Dunn, N.C.)
- The Charlotte Jewish News (Charlotte, N.C.)
- The Charlotte News (Charlotte, N.C.)
- The Chatham Record (Pittsboro, N.C.)
- Cloudbuster (Chapel Hill, N.C.)
- The Cooleemee Journal (Cooleemee, N.C.)
- County Union (Dunn, N.C.)
- The Courier (Asheboro, N.C.)
- Daily Concord Standard (Concord, N.C.)
- The Danbury Reporter (Danbury, N.C.)
- The Democratic Banner (Dunn, N.C.)
- The Eastern Reflector (Greenville, N.C.)
- The Elkin Courier (Elkin, N.C.)
- The Elkin Times (Elkin, N.C.)
- The Elkin Tribune (Elkin, N.C.)
- Elm City Elevator (Elm City, N.C.)
- The Enterprise (Williamston, N.C.)
- Erwin Chatter (Cooleemee, N.C.)
- Fayetteville Observer (Fayetteville, N.C.)
- Firestone News (Gastonia, N.C.)
- Forest City Courier (Forest City, N.C.)
- The Goldsboro Headlight (Goldsboro, N.C.)
- Greensboro World War II Military Base Newspaper
- Hickory Democrat (Hickory, N.C.)
- Highland Messenger (Asheville, N.C.)
- The Home Front News
- Hot Off the Hoover Rail
- The Journal (Elkin, N.C.)
- The Lincoln Courier (Lincolnton, N.C.)
- The Lincoln Republican (Lincolnton, N.C.)
- The Little Clipper (Rocky Mount, N.C.)
- Marion Messenger (Marion, N.C.)
- Marion Progress (Marion, N.C.)
- Marion Record (Marion, N.C.)
- The Mebane Leader (Mebane, N.C.)
- Mecklenburg Jeffersonian (Charlotte, N.C.)
- Miners’ and Farmers’ Journal (Charlotte, N.C.)
- The Mirror (Elkin, N.C.)
- The Nash County News (Spring Hope, N.C.)
- The News-Journal (Raeford, N.C.)
- North Carolina Whig (Charlotte, N.C.)
- Piedmont Aviation Employee Newsletter
- The Pilot (Southern Pines, N.C.)
- The Pinehurst Outlook (Pinehurst, N.C.)
- Press and Carolinian (Hickory, N.C.)
- The Rattler (Whitakers, N.C.)
- The Roanoke Beacon (Plymouth, N.C.)
- Roanoke News (Weldon, N.C.)
- The Rocky Mount Herald (Rocky Mount, N.C.)
- The Rocky Mount Record (Rocky Mount, N.C.)
- The Spring Hope Journal (Spring Hope, N.C.)
- Spring Hope Leader (Spring Hope, N.C.)
- Spring Hope Messenger (Spring Hope, N.C.)
- The Standard (Concord, N.C.)
- Sylvan Valley News (Brevard, N.C.)
- Tarboro Free Press (Tarboro, N.C.)
- Vance News-Leader (Henderson, N.C.)
- The Weekly Reporter (Rocky Mount, N.C.)
- The Weekly Review (Elkin, N.C.)
- Western Democrat (Charlotte, N.C.)
- The Wilson Advance (Wilson, N.C.)
- Atlantic Christian College Student Newspaper
- Bennett College Student Newspaper
- Black Ink (Black Student Movement, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill)
- Brevard College Student Newspaper
- Chowan University Student Newspaper
- Elizabeth City State University Student Newspaper
- Elon University Student Newspaper
- Fayetteville State University Student Newspaper
- Flora Macdonald College Student Newspaper
- Gaston College Student Newspaper
- The Guilfordian (Greensboro, N.C.)
- Louisburg College Student Newspaper
- Methodist University Student Newspaper
- North Carolina Central University Student Newspaper
- North Carolina Wesleyan College Student Newspaper
- Presbyterian Junior College Student Newspaper
- Rutherford College Student Newspaper
- Saint Augustine’s University Student Newspaper
- St. Andrews University Student Newspaper
- UNCW Today (University of North Carolina Wilmington Alumni Newsletter)
- The University of North Carolina News Letter
- University of North Carolina Wilmington Student Newspaper
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte Student Newspaper
- Weaver College Student Newspaper
- Winston-Salem State University Student Newspaper
Other Free Sites
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive.)
- News & Observer Index (Index only)
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 28 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - North Carolina Newspapers
There are currently 27 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - North Carolina Newspapers
There are currently 40 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - North Carolina
There are currently 479 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - North Carolina. Just click on North Carolina in the map to see all of the titles.
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Three of my favorites:
- Newspaper Cat - from the University of Florida
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to visit the North Carolina Newspapers site from the North Carolina State Library from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online newspaper availability. It also has a locator which can tell you where hard copy and microfilm copies can be found.
Please note - even more may be available via a local or state library where a library card is required. Gale and ProQuest collections are often available if you have the proper card. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.