So go for it - find your Newfoundland and Labrador ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated March, 2017)
Memorial University of Newfoundland: Newspapers
- The Daily News 1955-1963
- Evening Telegram (1879-1899)
- Evening Telegram (1900-1918)
- Evening Telegram (1919-1926)
- The Fishermen's Advocate
- Le Gaboteur 1984-present
- Harbor Grace Standard 1859-1907
- Morning Courier 1845-1854
- The Morning Despatch (1892)
- MUN Gazette
- The Muse
- Newfoundland Patriot (1839)
- Plaindealer (1907-1922)
- St. John's Daily Star (1915-1921)
- Southern Gazette (1975)
- The Twillingate Sun 1880-1953
- The Western Star (1900-1952)
- The Confederate
- The Independent
- Newfoundland Mercantile Journal
Other Free Sites:
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive.)
Harbour Grace St. Johns
- The Evening Telegram
- The Newfoundland Express
- The Newfoundlander
- The Public Ledger
- The Public Ledger and Newfoundland General Advertiser
- The Royal Gazette and Newfoundland Advertiser
- The Telegram
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There is currently 1 publication available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Newfoundland and Labrador Newspapers
Paper of Record:
There are currently 2 publications available at this site. See the titles at Paper of Record - Newfoundland and Labrador
There are currently 4 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - Newfoundland and Labrador
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Three of my favorites:
- Historical Canadian Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
- Can Genealogy Historical Newspapers
- Active History - a professor from York University periodically provides updates on the state of the online historical newspaper "scene" in Canada
You might want to check out the Memorial University's Digital Archives Initiative site from time to time to see what is available online or otherwise.
Please note - even more may be available via a local or provincial library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.