There are almost 1,300 newspapers that have been published in the Land of Enchantment - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your New Mexico ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
Chronicling America - New Mexico Newspapers
- Albuquerque 1891-19?? Albuquerque weekly citizen.
- Albuquerque 1895-1903 Albuquerque daily citizen.
- Albuquerque 1905-1907 Albuquerque evening citizen.
- Albuquerque 1907-1909 Albuquerque citizen.
- Albuquerque 1911-1914 Albuquerque evening herald.
- Albuquerque 1914-1922 The evening herald.
- Aztec 1890-19?? The San Juan County index.
- Carlsbad 1899-1907 Carlsbad current.
- Carlsbad 1907-1908 Carlsbad current and New Mexico sun.
- Carlsbad 1908-1926 The Carlsbad current.
- Carlsbad 1917-1918 The evening current.
- Carrizozo 1908-192? Carrizozo news.
- Carrizozo 1910-1945 Carrizozo outlook.
- Cimarron, Colfax County 19??-19?? The Cimarron news and Cimarron citizen.
- Clayton 19??-1954 The Clayton news.
- Clayton, Union County 1888-1906 Clayton enterprise.
- Clayton, Union County 1906-19?? The Clayton citizen.
- Clovis 1907-1929 The Clovis news.
- Columbus, Luna County 1911-1920 The Columbus courier.
- Columbus 1920-1920 Columbus daily courier.
- Columbus 1920-1921 The Columbus weekly courier.
- Deming 1881-1948 Deming headlight.
- Deming 1903-1948 Deming graphic.
- East Las Vegas 1891-1??? Las Vegas free press.
- Eddy [Carlsbad] 189?-1899 The Eddy current.
- Farmington 1891-1900 The San Juan times.
- Kenna, Roosevelt County 190?-1924 The Kenna record.
- Las Vegas 1898-190? The Las Vegas weekly optic and stock grower.
- Lordsburg 1887-1919 Western liberal.
- Red River, Taos County 1900-190? Red River prospector.
- Roy, Mora Co. 19??-19?? The Spanish American.
- Silver City 1883-189? Southwest-sentinel.
- Silver City 1894-1??? The eagle.
- Socorro 1890-1901 The chieftain.
- Socorro 1902-1959 The Socorro chieftain.
- Socorro, Socorro County 1884-1890 The Socorro chieftain.
- Tucumcari 1905-1907 The Tucumcari news.
- Tucumcari 1907-1921 The Tucumcari news and Tucumcari times.
- White Oaks, Lincoln County 1882-189? The Lincoln County leader
Digital New Mexico Newspapers (Index to where the newspapers can be found - very few online and scarce years; mostly microfilm)
Palace of the Governors Obituary Database
Other Free Sites:
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive.
- Fort Sumner - De Baca County News
- Las Vegas - La Voz del Pueblo
- Lordsburg - Hidalgo County Herald
- Raton - Raton Range
- Socorro - Mountain Mail
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 13 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - New Mexico Newspapers
There are currently 145 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - New Mexico Newspapers
There are currently 86 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - New Mexico
There are currently 42 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - New Mexico Just click on New Mexico in the map to see all of the titles.
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Three of my favorites:
- Newspaper Cat - from the University of Florida
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to visit the Digital New Mexico Newspapers site, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to newspaper projects. They also have a nice searchable database for microfilm based collections throughout the state.
Please note - even more may be available via a local library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.