There are almost 4,000 newspapers that have been published in the Cornhusker State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your Nebraska ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated January, 2016)
Chronicling America - Nebraska Newspapers
- Alliance, Box Butte County 1902-1922 The Alliance herald.
- Bellevue City 1854-1855 Nebraska palladium.
- Bellevue City, N.T. 1856-1858 Bellevue gazette.
- Broken Bow 1882-1921 Custer County Republican.
- Brownville, Nemaha County, N.T. , 1856-1882 Nebraska advertiser.
- Columbus 1874-1911 The Columbus journal.
- Dakota City 1857-1860 Dakota City herald.
- Dakota City 1891-1965 Dakota County herald.
- Falls City 1904-191? The Falls City tribune.
- Lincoln 1885-1893 Capital city courier.
- Lincoln 1893-1893 Sunday morning courier.
- Lincoln 1893-1894 Saturday morning courier.
- Lincoln 1894-1903 The courier.
- Lincoln 1901-1923 The commoner.
- McCook 188?-1886 McCook weekly tribune.
- McCook 1886-1936 The McCook tribune.
- Nemaha City 18??-1909 The Nebraska advertiser.
- Norfolk 1888-1900 The Norfolk weekly news.
- Norfolk 1900-19?? The Norfolk weekly news-journal.
- North Platte 1885-1890 Lincoln County tribune.
- North Platte 1890-1894 The North Platte tribune.
- North Platte 1895-1922 The North Platte semi-weekly tribune.
- Omaha [Neb.], 187?-1922 Omaha daily bee.
- Red Cloud, Webster Co. 1873-1923 The Red Cloud chief.
- Valentine, Cherry Co. 18??-1896 Cherry County independent.
- Valentine, Cherry Co. 1896-1898 The Valentine Democrat.
- Valentine 1898-1900 Western news-Democrat.
- Valentine 1900-1930 Valentine Democrat.
- Wood River, Buffalo County, N.T. 1860-1861 The huntsman's echo.
- Alliance, Box Butte County, Neb., 1902-1922 The Alliance Herald
- Bellevieu City, Neb., 1854-1855 Nebraska Palladium
- Bellevue City, N.T. [i.e. Neb.], 1856-1858 Bellevue Gazette
- Broken Bow, Neb., 1882-1921 Custer County Republican
- Brownville, Nemaha County, N.T. [Neb.], 1856-1882 Nebraska Advertiser
- Clarkson, Neb., 1913-19?? Ozvêna západu [microform].
- Columbus, Neb., 1874-1911 The Columbus Journal
- Dakota City, Neb., 1857-1860 Dakota City herald.
- Dakota City, Neb., 1891-1965 Dakota County Herald
- Falls City, Neb., 1904-191? The Falls City Tribune
- Lincoln, Neb., 1885-1893 Capital City Courier
- Lincoln, Neb., 1901-1923 The Commoner
- Lincoln, Neb., 1894-1903 The Courier
- Lincoln, Neb., 1901-current The Daily Nebraskan
- Lincoln, Neb., 1893-1894 Saturday Morning Courier
- Lincoln, Neb., 1893-1893 Sunday Morning Courier
- Lincoln [Neb.], 1872-1885 Hesperian student [microform]
- McCook, Neb., 1886-1936 The McCook Tribune
- McCook, Neb., 188?-1886 McCook Weekly Tribune
- Nemaha City, Neb., 18??-1909 The Nebraska Advertiser
- Norfolk, Neb., 1900-19?? The Norfolk Weekly News-Journal
- Norfolk, Neb., 1888-1900 The Norfolk Weekly News
- North Platte, Neb., 1885-1890 Lincoln County Tribune
- North Platte, Neb., 1895-1922 The North Platte Semi-Weekly Tribune
- North Platte, Neb., 1890-1894 The North Platte Tribune
- Omaha [Neb.], 187?-1922 Omaha Daily Bee
- Plattsmouth, Neb., 1883-19?? The Plattsmouth Daily Herald [microform].
- Plattsmouth, Neb., 1892-1894 Plattsmouth Herald [microform].
- Plattsmouth, Neb., 1901-current The Plattsmouth Journal [microform].
- Plattsmouth, Neb., 1882-1892 Plattsmouth Weekly Herald [microform].
- Plattsmouth, Neb., 1881-1901 Plattsmouth Weekly Journal [microform].
- Plattsmouth, Neb., 1895-1909 Semi-Weekly News-Herald [microform].
- Red Cloud, Webster Co., Neb., 1873-1923 The Red Cloud Chief
- Valentine, Cherry Co., Neb., 18??-1896 Cherry County Independent
- Valentine, Neb., 1900-1930 Valentine Democrat
- Valentine, Cherry Co., Neb., 1896-1898 The Valentine Democrat
- Valentine, Neb., 1898-1900 Western News-Democrat
- Wahoo, Neb., 1891-19?? Přítel lidu [microform].
- Wilber, Neb., 190?-19?? Wilberské listy [microform].
- Wood River, Buffalo County, N.T. [Neb.], 1860-1861 The Huntsman's Echo
NE Newspaper Extraction Project (Index only)
Omaha Obits (Index only)
Arapahoe Public Library
- Public Mirror
- Holbrook Observer
- Edison Echo
- Arapahoe Pioneer
- Arapahoe Weekly Pioneer
- Edison News
- Holbrook Herald
- Edison Record
Stanton Public Library
Dixon County Archives
North Bend Public Library
North Loup Public Library
Small Town Papers
Other Free Sites:
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive.)
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 25 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Nebraska Newspapers
There are currently 42 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - Nebraska Newspapers
There are currently 16 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - Nebraska
There are currently 30 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - Nebraska.
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Two of my favorites:
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to visit the Nebraska Digital Newspaper Project site from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online newspaper availability.
Please note - even more may be available via a local or state library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.