There are almost 4,000 newspapers that have been published in the Cornhusker State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your Nebraska ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
Chronicling America: Nebraska Newspapers
- Alliance, Box Butte County 1902-1922 The Alliance herald.
- Bellevue City 1854-1855 Nebraska palladium.
- Bellevue City, N.T. 1856-1858 Bellevue gazette.
- Broken Bow 1882-1921 Custer County Republican.
- Brownville, Nemaha County, N.T. , 1856-1882 Nebraska advertiser.
- Columbus 1874-1911 The Columbus journal.
- Dakota City 1857-1860 Dakota City herald.
- Dakota City 1891-1965 Dakota County herald.
- Falls City 1904-191? The Falls City tribune.
- Lincoln 1885-1893 Capital city courier.
- Lincoln 1893-1893 Sunday morning courier.
- Lincoln 1893-1894 Saturday morning courier.
- Lincoln 1894-1903 The courier.
- Lincoln 1901-1923 The commoner.
- McCook 188?-1886 McCook weekly tribune.
- McCook 1886-1936 The McCook tribune.
- Nemaha City 18??-1909 The Nebraska advertiser.
- Norfolk 1888-1900 The Norfolk weekly news.
- Norfolk 1900-19?? The Norfolk weekly news-journal.
- North Platte 1885-1890 Lincoln County tribune.
- North Platte 1890-1894 The North Platte tribune.
- North Platte 1895-1922 The North Platte semi-weekly tribune.
- Omaha [Neb.], 187?-1922 Omaha daily bee.
- Red Cloud, Webster Co. 1873-1923 The Red Cloud chief.
- Valentine, Cherry Co. 18??-1896 Cherry County independent.
- Valentine, Cherry Co. 1896-1898 The Valentine Democrat.
- Valentine 1898-1900 Western news-Democrat.
- Valentine 1900-1930 Valentine Democrat.
- Wood River, Buffalo County, N.T. 1860-1861 The huntsman's echo.
Nebraska Newspapers: Digitizing Nebraska's History (1874- 1912)
- Capital city courier
- The daily Nebraskan
- The Nebraskan
- The Hesperian
- Hesperian Student
- Semi-Weekly News-Herald
- Semi-Weekly News Herald
- The Plattsmouth Daily Herald
- The Plattsmouth Journal
- The Plattsmouth Weekly Journal
NE Newspaper Extraction Project (Index only)
Other Free Sites
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive.)
- Kearney Daily Hub
- McCook Daily Gazette
- McCook Gazette
- Gateway Newspaper Archive
- Omaha Daily Republican 1
- Omaha Excelsior
- Omaha Republican
- Ord Quiz
- Superior Express
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 15 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Nebraska Newspapers
There are currently 8 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - Nebraska Newspapers
There are currently 3 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - Nebraska
There are currently 26 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - nebraska. Just click on Nebraska in the map to see all of the titles.
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Three of my favorites:
- Newspaper Cat - from the University of Florida
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to visit the Nebraska Digital Newspaper Project site from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online newspaper availability.
Please note - even more may be available via a local or state library where a library card is required. Gale and ProQuest collections are often available if you have the proper card. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.