There are almost 4,000 newspapers that have been published in the Cornhusker State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your Nebraska ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated April, 2016)
Chronicling America - Nebraska Newspapers
- Alliance, Box Butte County 1902-1922 The Alliance herald.
- Bellevue City 1854-1855 Nebraska palladium.
- Bellevue City, N.T. 1856-1858 Bellevue gazette.
- Broken Bow 1882-1921 Custer County Republican.
- Brownville, Nemaha County, N.T. , 1856-1882 Nebraska advertiser.
- Columbus 1874-1911 The Columbus journal.
- Dakota City 1857-1860 Dakota City herald.
- Dakota City 1891-1965 Dakota County herald.
- Falls City 1904-191? The Falls City tribune.
- Lincoln 1885-1893 Capital city courier.
- Lincoln 1893-1893 Sunday morning courier.
- Lincoln 1893-1894 Saturday morning courier.
- Lincoln 1894-1903 The courier.
- Lincoln 1901-1923 The commoner.
- McCook 188?-1886 McCook weekly tribune.
- McCook 1886-1936 The McCook tribune.
- Nemaha City 18??-1909 The Nebraska advertiser.
- Norfolk 1888-1900 The Norfolk weekly news.
- Norfolk 1900-19?? The Norfolk weekly news-journal.
- North Platte 1885-1890 Lincoln County tribune.
- North Platte 1890-1894 The North Platte tribune.
- North Platte 1895-1922 The North Platte semi-weekly tribune.
- Omaha [Neb.], 187?-1922 Omaha daily bee.
- Red Cloud, Webster Co. 1873-1923 The Red Cloud chief.
- Valentine, Cherry Co. 18??-1896 Cherry County independent.
- Valentine, Cherry Co. 1896-1898 The Valentine Democrat.
- Valentine 1898-1900 Western news-Democrat.
- Valentine 1900-1930 Valentine Democrat.
- Wood River, Buffalo County, N.T. 1860-1861 The huntsman's echo.
- Alliance, Box Butte County, Neb., 1902-1922 - The Alliance herald.
- Bellevieu City, Neb., 1854-1855 - Nebraska palladium.
- Bellevue City, N.T. [i.e. Neb.], 1856-1858 - Bellevue gazette.
- Broken Bow, Neb., 1882-1921 - Custer County Republican
- Brownville, Nemaha County, N.T. [Neb.], 1856-1882 - Nebraska Advertiser
- Clarkson, Neb., 1913-19?? - Ozvěna západu [microform].
- Columbus, Neb., 1874-1911 - The Columbus Journal
- Dakota City, Neb., 1857-1860 - Dakota City herald.
- Dakota City, Neb., 1891-1965 - Dakota County Herald
- Falls City, Neb., 1904-191? - The Falls City Tribune
- Lincoln [Neb.], 1872-1885 - Hesperian Student [microform]
- Lincoln, Neb., 1885-1893 - Capital City Courier
- Lincoln, Neb., 1893-1893 - Sunday Morning Courier
- Lincoln, Neb., 1893-1894 - Saturday morning courier.
- Lincoln, Neb., 1894-1903 - The courier.
- Lincoln, Neb., 1901-1923 - The Commoner
- Lincoln, Neb., 1901-current - The Daily Nebraskan
- McCook, Neb., 188?-1886 - McCook weekly tribune.
- McCook, Neb., 1886-1936 - The McCook Tribune
- Nebraska City, Neb., 1898-1902 - The Conservative [microform].
- Nemaha City, Neb., 18??-1909 - The Nebraska Advertiser
- Norfolk, Neb., 1888-1900 - The Norfolk weekly news.
- Norfolk, Neb., 1900-19?? - The Norfolk Weekly News-Journal
- North Platte, Neb., 1885-1890 - Lincoln County Tribune
- North Platte, Neb., 1890-1894 - The North Platte Tribune
- North Platte, Neb., 1895-1922 - The North Platte Semi-Weekly Tribune
- Omaha [Neb.], 187?-1922 - Omaha Daily Bee
- Plattsmouth, Neb., 1881-1901 - Plattsmouth Weekly Journal [microform].
- Plattsmouth, Neb., 1882-1892 - Plattsmouth Weekly Herald [microform].
- Plattsmouth, Neb., 1883-19?? - The Plattsmouth Daily Herald [microform].
- Plattsmouth, Neb., 1892-1894 - Plattsmouth Herald [microform].
- Plattsmouth, Neb., 1895-1909 - Semi-Weekly News-Herald [microform].
- Plattsmouth, Neb., 1901-current - The Plattsmouth Journal [microform].
- Red Cloud, Webster Co., Neb., 1873-1923 - The Red Cloud Chief
- Valentine, Cherry Co., Neb., 18??-1896 - Cherry County independent.
- Valentine, Cherry Co., Neb., 1896-1898 - The Valentine Democrat.
- Valentine, Neb., 1898-1900 - Western news-Democrat.
- Valentine, Neb., 1900-1930 - Valentine Democrat
- Wahoo, Neb., 1891-19?? - Přítel lidu [microform].
- Wilber, Neb., 190?-19?? - Wilberské listy [microform].
- Wood River, Buffalo County, N.T. [Neb.], 1860-1861 - The huntsman's echo. Echo
NE Newspaper Extraction Project (Index only)
Omaha Obits (Index only)
Albion Public Library
Lyons Public Library
- Alliance Sun
- Lyons Mirror
- Lyons Mirror Sun
- Lyons Sun
- Logan Valley Mirror
- Logan Valley Sun
- Lyons Weekly Sun
Arapahoe Public Library
- Public Mirror
- Holbrook Observer
- Edison Echo
- Arapahoe Pioneer
- Arapahoe Weekly Pioneer
- Edison News
- Holbrook Herald
- Edison Record
Stanton Public Library
Dixon County Archives
- The Allen News
- The Dixon Journal
- Newcastle Times
- The Newcastle News
- Emerson Cresent
- Dakota County Enterprise
- Emerson Echo
- Emerson Era
- Emerson Enterprise
- Emerson Times
Ponca Carnegie Library
- Dixon County Advocate
- Ponca Gazette
- Northern Nebraska Journal
- Nebraska Journal Leader
- Homer Star
- Wayne Herald
North Bend Public Library
North Loup Public Library
Small Town Papers
Danish American Newspapers and Journals
- Bien Newspapers
- Dannevirke Newspapers
- Danskeren Newspapers
- Den Danske Pioneer Newspapers
- Lauritz Melchior Newspaper Clipping Scrapbooks
Newspaper Archives of the Sargent Township Library
- Sargent Echo
- Sargent Leader
- Sargent New Era
- West Union Gazette
The Olden Times - Nebraska
Other Free Sites:
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive.)
Kearney McCook Omaha Ord Superior
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 25 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Nebraska Newspapers
There are currently 42 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - Nebraska Newspapers
There are currently 18 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - Nebraska
There are currently 30 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - Nebraska.
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Two of my favorites:
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to visit the Nebraska Digital Newspaper Project site from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online newspaper availability.
Please note - even more may be available via a local or state library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.