I love old photos, whether they are portraits of my ancestors or historical photos for the period when they lived. And it is important to a complete research that one attempts to understand the environment that surrounds our ancestors' lives if one wants to truly appreciate what they went through.
So where can they be found? Obviously the best resource is our own photo albums and those that our relatives possess. But what about other resources? Many archives, historical societies, libraries and genealogical societies have collections of old photos. And in the past few years there has been a massive movement towards making these historical photo collections available online. Some have search capabilities where you can actually put in a surname or a location, name of a building or historical event and find what is available.
For the state of Minnesota what collections are available for you to browse and/or search online? Here is a list of sites to start with. Please feel free to add in the comments other online resources that you might be aware of in the state.
Please be aware that there may be very strict rules regarding downloading or other use of the images that you may find. Copyright and other legal protections may be in force. Make sure that you read the limitations of use for any image that you find in these collections and wish to download and/or copy. It is your responsibility to adhere to the rules for all of these collections.
Please note that links to these sites may change in the future. The author (me) will not be constantly checking and updating these links, so if you find a broken link, please use your favorite search engine to locate the new link.
(Updated November, 2018; recently added links are in BOLD)
- American Swedish Institute - Minneapolis
- Anoka County Photo Gallery
- Beltrami County Historical Society - Bemidji
- Bishop Henry Whipple Indian Photograph Collection
- Carleton College Archives
- Carleton College Stork Photograph Collection
- Charles Chamblis Twin Cities African American Community Photograph Collection
- Cook County Historical Society - Grand Marais
- Duluth Photo Gallery
- Hennepin County Library Online Photo Collections
- Historical & Cultural Society of Clay County - Moorhead
- Hugo Historical Commission - Hugo
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Online Catalog
- McLeod County Historical Society - Hutchinson
- Men of Minnesota
- Minneapolis and St. Paul Newspaper Negatives Collection, 1936-1987
- Minneapolis Photo Archives
- Minneapolis Photo Collection
- Minneapolis, St. Paul, and Edina Newspaper Photographs Collection
- Minnesota Annual Conference United Methodist Church - Minneapolis
- Minnesota Historical Society Photograph Collections
- Minnesota Reflections
- Minnesota State University Archives
- National Archives - Digital Photograph Collections
- Nicollet County Historical Society - St. Peter
- Ramsey County Historical Society - St. Paul
- Redwood County Photos
- Rice County Historical Photos
- Roseau County Photographs
- Scott County Historical Society - Shakopee
- Smithsonian Images
- University of Minnesota Archives
- University of St. Thomas Archives Photograph Collection
- White Bear Lake Area Historical Society - White Bear Lake
- Winona Historical Photos
- Winona State University Photograph Collection
- Zenith City Online
For historic photos from other states as well as articles about photo research, please visit the Photos page.
Good luck and Happy Hunting!