There are around 4,000 newspapers that have been published in the Wolverine State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are quite a few that are indeed available. So go for it - find your Michigan ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated December, 2015)
Chronicling America - Michigan
- Alpena 1871-1893 Alpena weekly argus.
- Alpena 1893-1909 Alpena argus.
- Brockway Centre 1882-1894 Weekly expositor.
- Calumet 18??-1907 The Copper country evening news.
- Calumet 1907-1938 The Calumet news.
- Cheboygan 1875-1885 Northern tribune.
- Constantine 1836-1838 Constantine republican.
- Dowagiac 18??-1880 The Cass County Republican.
- Dearborn, Mich., 1901-1927 Dearborn independent.
- East Jordan 189?-1953 Charlevoix county herald.
- East Saginaw 1859-18?? East Saginaw courier.
- Grand Haven 1851-18?? Grand River times.
- Grand Haven 1858-18?? The Grand Haven news.
- Grand Rapids 18??-1892 Telegram-herald.
- Grand Rapids 188?-18?? Grand Rapids morning telegram.
- Owosso 18??-1882 The Owosso times.
- Owosso 1882-1897 The times.
- Owosso 1897-1926 The Owosso times.
- Paw Paw 1855-1920 The true northerner.
- Yale 1894-current The Yale expositor.
- Ypsilanti 1843-1900 Ypsilanti sentinel.
Michigan Digital Newspaper Portal
- Allegan County Record (1869-1871)
- Commercial Record, Saugatuck-Douglas (1868–1959)
- Otsego Union (1897-1922)
- The Weekly Union (1875-1888)
- Benzie Banner (1888-1972)
- Benzie Record Patriot (1905, 1910-2013)
- Benzonia Citizen (1870-1871)
- The Elberta Alert (1911-1912)
- The Frankfort Express (1907)
- Frankfort Times (1886)
- South Frankfort Alert (1911)
- Clare County Press (1878-1886)
- Clare Courier (1895-1896, 1903, 1907, 1911, 1913-1915, 1921-1922)
- Clare County Cleaver (1930-1934,1936,1938,1940,1972-1976)
- Clare Democrat (1887-1889)
- Clare Democrat and Press (1890-1892)
- Clare Press (1886-1887)
- Clare Sentinel (1892-1894, 1896-1999)
- Clare Sentinel and Democrat Press (1894-1896)
- The Farwell News (1953)
- Central Normal Life (1919-1927)
- Central State Life (1927-1941)
- Central Michigan Life Student Newspaper Archive (1941-1998)
- Isabella County Enterprise (1875-1926)
- Augusta Beacon (1902- 1952)
- Climax Cereal (1900-1912)
- Climax Crescent (1912-2012)
- Kalamazoo Telegraph (1845-1869)
- Scotts Cereal (1905-1906)
- The Progressive Herald (1912-1913)
- Argus-Press - Owosso (1951, 1972-2008)
- Corunna Journal (1887-1892,1894-1905,1907-1913)
- Corunna News (1934-1949)
- Evening Press - Owosso (1911)
- Owosso Argus Press (1862-1869)
- Owosso Argus-Press (1914-1972, scattered issues)
- The Owosso Times (1897-1922)
- The Owosso Times (1881-1882)
- The Times (1882-1897)
- Cass City Chronicle (1881–2009)
- Cass City Enterprise (1881-1882, 1888-1906)
- Mayville Monitor (1884-2010)
- The Ann Arbor Argus (1889–1896)
- Ann Arbor Daily Courier (April 1, 1895)
- Ann Arbor Argus-Democrat (1902-1906, scattered issues)
- Ann Arbor Journal (1855-1863)
- Ann Arbor Record (1902-1903, scattered issues)
- Ann Arbor Signal of Liberty, (1841–1847)
- The Michigan Daily (1947–2009)
- The Michigan State Journal (1841–1847)
- Reporter (1955-1958)
- The Saline Observer (1880-1882, 1890-1915, 1917-1923, 1926-1948, 1950-1959)
- Saline Reporter (1958-2012)
- Saline Review (1874)
- Ypsilanti Sentinel (1843-1848)
- Dearborn Independent (1919-1921)
- Detroit Gazette (1817–1830)
- Grosse Pointe Public Library Local History Archives: Newspapers
Grosse Pointe News (1940– )
Grosse Pointe Review (1930–1952
Small Town Papers
- The Antrim Review Bellaire, Michigan
- The Clare County Review Clare, Michigan
- Montmorency County Tribune Atlanta, Michigan
Old Fulton Postcards
- Mancelona MI Antrim County Herald 1881-1964
- Mancelona MI Antrim County News 1974-1986
- Three Oaks MI Galien River Gazette 1902-1988
- Three Oaks MI Acorn 1900-1929
Other Free Sites:
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive.)
Adrian Ann Arbor
- Ann Arbor Argus
- Ann Arbor Argus-Democrat
- Ann Arbor Journal
- Ann Arbor Record
- Ann Arbor Register
- Local News and Advertiser
- Michigan Daily
- Michigan State Journal
- Pensinsular Courier and Family Visitant
- Peninsula Courier & Ann Arbor Visitant
- Peninsujlar Courier
- Signal of Liberty
- State Journal
- Washtenaw Whig
- Weekly Michigan Argus
- Ludington Appeal
- Ludington: Ludington Chronicle
- Ludington: Ludington Daily News
- Ludington: Ludington Record
- Ludington: Ludington Record-Appeal
- Ludington: Mason County Record
- Manistee Broadaxe
- Manistee Standard
- Manistee Times
- Manistee Times-Sentinel
- Manistee Weekly Times
- Times and Standard
- Evening Argus
- Owosso American
- Owosso Argus-Press
- Owosso Argus-Press
- Owosso Daily Argus
- Owosso Press & Owosso Weekly Press
- News Reporter
- Three Rivers Daily Reporter
- Three Rivers Herald
- Three Rivers Reporter
- Three Rivers Tribune
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 31 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Michigan Newspapers
There are currently 154 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - Michigan Newspapers
There are currently 87 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - Michigan
There are currently 36 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - Michigan
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Two of my favorites:
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to check out the Library of Michigan site, which can tell you what newspapers have been digitized and are available via microfilm.
Please note - even more may be available via a local library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.