I love old photos, whether they are portraits of my ancestors or historical photos for the period when they lived. And it is important to a complete research that one attempts to understand the environment that surrounds our ancestors' lives if one wants to truly appreciate what they went through.
So where can they be found? Obviously the best resource is our own photo albums and those that our relatives possess. But what about other resources? Many archives, historical societies, libraries and genealogical societies have collections of old photos. And in the past few years there has been a massive movement towards making these historical photo collections available online. Some have search capabilities where you can actually put in a surname or a location, name of a building or historical event and find what is available.
For the state of Maryland, what collections are available for you to browse and/or search online? Here is a list of sites to start with. Please feel free to add in the comments other online resources that you might be aware of in the state.
Please be aware that there may be very strict rules regarding downloading or other use of the images that you may find. Copyright and other legal protections may be in force. Make sure that you read the limitations of use for any image that you find in these collections and wish to download and/or copy. It is your responsibility to adhere to the rules for all of these collections.
Please note that links to these sites may change in the future. The author (me) will not be constantly checking and updating these links, so if you find a broken link, please use your favorite search engine to locate the new link.
(Updated December, 2018; recently added links are in BOLD)
- Baltimore County Public Library - Photos
- Baltimore Museum of Industry - Baltimore
- Banneker-Douglass Museum - Annapolis
- Chevy Chase Historical Society - Chevy Chase
- Cumberland Historic Photo Collection
- David C. Driskell Center - Univ. of Maryland - College Park
- Digital Maryland
- Dorchester County Photographs
- Frederick Preservation Trust
- Harpers Ferry Online Image Collection
- Historical Society of Baltimore County
- Historical Society of Harford County - Bel Air
- Howard County Photo Collection
- Jewish Museum of Maryland - Baltimore
- Laurel Historical Society - Laurel
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Online Catalog
- Maryland Historical Society - Collections Online
- Montgomery County Historical Society (MD) - Rockville
- Nabb Research Center - Salisbury
- National Archives - Digital Photograph Collections
- Office of History, National Institutes of Health - Bethesda
- Old Baltimore Photos
- Photographic Archives of Maryland
- Prince Georges County History in Pictures
- Smithsonian Images
- Somerset Photo Gallery
- Southern Maryland Studies Center
- University of Maryland Baltimore County Albin O. Kuhn Library & Gallery - Baltimore
- University of Maryland Digital Collections
- Washington County Historical Society (MD) - Hagerstown
- Western Maryland Historical Library - Photographs and Postcards
- Wicomico County Photos
For historic photos from other states as well as articles about photo research, please visit the Photos page.
Good luck and Happy Hunting!