There are over 1,700 newspapers that have been published in the Old Line State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your Maryland ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated November, 2017)
Chronicling America - Maryland Newspapers
- Baltimore [Md.], 1840-1840 - The pilot.
- Baltimore, Md, 1840-1849 - Baltimore commercial journal, and Lyford's price-current.
- Baltimore, Md., 1840-1841 - The pilot and transcript.
- Baltimore, Md., 1841-1918 - Der Deutsche correspondent.
- Baltimore, Md., 1844-1846 - American Republican and Baltimore daily clipper.
- Baltimore, Md., 1848-1918 - Der Deutsche correspondent.
- Baltimore, Md., 1858-1861 - The daily exchange.
- Baltimore, Md., 1865-1867 - Baltimore daily commercial.
- Bel Air, Md., 1857-1862 - The southern aegis.
- Bel Air, Md., 1862-1864 - The southern aegis, and Harford County intelligencer.
- Bel Air, Md., 1864-1923 - The aegis & intelligencer.
- Cambridge, Md., 1897-2008 - The daily banner.
- Cumberland, Md., 1859-1875 - Civilian & telegraph.
- Elkton, Md., 1841-current - The Cecil Whig.
- Frostburg, Md., 1871-1913 - Frostburg mining journal.
- Greenbelt, Md., 1937-1954 - Greenbelt cooperator.
- Hagerstown [Md.], 1862-18?? - Maryland free press.
- Leonard Town, Md., 1845-1863 - St. Mary's beacon.
- Leonard Town, Md., 1863-1867 - St. Mary's gazette.
- Leonard Town, Md., 1867-1983 - Saint Mary's beacon.
- Mechanicstown, Md., 1871-1940 - Catoctin clarion.
- Port Tobacco, Md., 1845-1898 - Port Tobacco times, and Charles County advertiser.
- Rising Sun, Md., 1885-1947 - The midland journal.
- Upper Marlborough, Md., 1882-1925 - The Prince George's enquirer and southern Maryland advertiser.
- Westminster, Md., 1865-1972 - The Democratic advocate.
Early State Records Online: Newspapers 1802-1965
American and Commercial Daily Advertiser
- M890 - September 4, 1802 - December 31, 1804.
- M891 - January 1, 1805 - June 29, 1805.
- M892 - July 1, 1805 - December 31, 1805.
- M893 - January 1, 1806 - June 30, 1806.
- M894 - July 1, 1806 - December 31, 1806.
- M895 - January 1, 1807 - June 30, 1807.
- M896 - July 1, 1807 - December 31, 1807.
- M8521 - March 3, 1847 - December 31, 1863.
- M8522 - January 1, 1864 - December 31, 1864.
- M8523 - January 2, 1865 - September 30, 1865.
- M8495 - July 2, 1810 - December 31, 1810.
- M7443 - August 20, 1870 - August 1, 1874.
- M7951 - June 27, 1871 - October 5, 1918.
- M11033 - May 27, 1854 - December 14, 1861.
- M11034 - January 4, 1862 - December 2, 1865.
- M11035 - January 27, 1866 - November 11, 1871.
- M7985 - September 7, 1870 - December 27, 1879.
- M7986 - January 2, 1892 - December 30, 1893.
- M7987 - January 6, 1894 - December 25, 1895.
- M7988 - January 1, 1898 - December 30, 1899.
- M5091 - January 6, 1965 - June 30, 1965.
- M1931 - January 5, 1889 - December 28, 1889.
- M5153 - September 24, 1861 - December 31, 1861.
- M5154 - January 1, 1862 - March 31, 1862.
- M5155 - April 1, 1862 - June 30, 1862.
- M5156 - July 1, 1862 - August 14, 1862.
- M2957 - June 17, 1809 - December 30, 1809.
- M476 - January 1, 1860 - December 27, 1872.
- M2622 - January 7, 1888 - July 11, 1903.
- M2800 - September 7, 1802 - December 27, 1803.
- M10521 - April 22, 1861 - February 17, 1862.
Maryland State Archives
- Aegis & Intelligencer, 1864-1923
- American and Commercial Daily Advertiser, 1802-1853
- American Eagle, 1855-1864
- American Sentinel, 1855-1928
- American Union, 1860-1926
- Baltimore American, 1883-1964
- Baltimore Clipper, 1839-1844
- Baltimore Clipper, 1847-1865
- Baltimore Whig, 1810-1814
- Calvert Gazette, 1885-1957
- Calvert Journal, 1867-1957
- Cambridge Chronicle and E. Shore Advertiser, 1825-1827
- Cambridge Chronicle and Maryland Weekly Advertiser, 1827-1828
- Cambridge Chronicle, 1822-1825
- Cambridge Chronicle, 1828-1855
- Cambridge Chronicle, 1871-190?
- Cambridge Democrat, 185?-1866
- Cambridge Era, 1878-1882
- Cambridge Herald, 1857-1866
- Cambridge Tribune, 1936-19??
- Caroline Intelligencer, 1831-183?
- Cecil County Star, 192?-19??
- Cecil Whig, 1841-Present
- Centreville Evening Times and Eastern Shore Publick Advertiser, 182?-18??
- Centreville Observer, 1864-1936
- Centreville State Rights, 1860-1864
- Centreville Times & Eastern Shore Advertiser, 1822-182?
- Centreville Times and Eastern-Shore Public Advertiser, 1831-18??
- Chestertown Transcript, 1862-1946
- Clearspring Sentinel, 1849-1851
- Daily Banner, 1897-2008
- Democrat and News, 186?-1965
- Democrat, and Dorchester Advertiser, 1845-185?
- Denton Journal, 1847-1965
- Dorchester Aurora, 1835-1840
- Dorchester Era, 1883-1900
- Eastern-Shore Star, 1841-1843
- Eastern-Shore Whig and People's Advocate, 1828-1841
- Easton Gazette, 1822-1929
- Easton Journal, 1863-1874
- Easton Star, 1843-1896
- Ellicott City Times, 1870-1958
- Enterprise, 1893-19??
- Federal Gazette & Baltimore Daily Advertiser, 1796-1825
- Frostburg Mining Journal, 1871-1913
- Kent County News, 1946-Present
- Kent News, 1840-1946
- Leader, 1887-19??
- Log Cabin Advocate, 1840-1840
- Maryland Colonization Journal, 1835-1840
- Maryland Courier, 1872-1883
- Maryland Gazette and Political Intelligencer, 1813-1823
- Maryland Gazette and State Register, 1824-1826
- Maryland Gazette, 1727-1734
- Maryland Gazette, 1745-1813
- Maryland Gazette, 1827-1839
- Maryland Gazette, and Frederick Weekly Advertiser, 1790-1792
- Maryland Journal and True American, 1828-1834
- Maryland Journal, 1834-18??
- Maryland Journal, 1845-1852
- Maryland Journal, 1865-1905
- Maryland Journal, and Museum of Politics, Agriculture, and Foreign Literature, 1841-184?
- Maryland News Sheet, 1861-1862
- Maryland Republican, 1809-1817
- Maryland Republican, 1826-1866
- Maryland Suffrage News, 1912-19??
- Midland Journal, 1885-1947
- Montgomery County Sentinel, 1855-1974
- Montgomery Independent, 1927-1946
- Montgomery Press, 1899-19??
- Planter's Advocate and Southern Maryland Advertiser, 1851-1853
- Planter's Advocate, 1853-1861
- Port Tobacco Times, and Charles County Advertiser, 1845-1898
- Queen Anne's Record the Centreville Observer, 1936
- Queen Anne's Record, 1933-1936
- Queen Anne's Record-Observer, 1936-1956
- Queenstown News, 1882-1956
- Republican Citizen, 1836-1890
- Republican Star, or, Eastern Shore General Advertiser, 1802-1814
- Republican Star, or, General Advertiser, 1814-1832
- Rockville True American, 1820-182?
- Sharpsburg Enterprise, 1878-188?
- Somerset Herald, 1838-184?
- South, 1861-1862
- St. Mary's Enterprise, 1883-1947
- State Rights Advocate, 1857-1860
- Williamsport Leader, 1884-1887
- Williamsport Transcript, 188?-189?
Index to Hagerstown Newspapers
- Hagerstown Mail
- Herald and Torch Light
- Herald of Freedom
- Herald of Freedom and Torch Light
- Maryland Free Press
- News and Hagerstown News
- Pledge & Advocate of Morals
- Torch Light
- Torch Light & Public Adviser
- Weekly Chronicle
Salisbury Eastern Shore Newspaper Collection
- Berlin Advance
- Berlin News
- Citizen of Maryland
- Delaware Advertiser and Farmer's Journal
- Delaware Weekly Advertiser and Farmer's Journal
- Eastern Shore Whig and People's Advocate
- Easton Gazette
- Easton Gazette, and Eastern Shore Intelligencer
- Herald and Eastern Shore Intelligencer
- Maryland Gazette
- Maryland Gazette and Political Intelligencer
- Marylander and Herald
- Republican Star
- Salisbury Advertiser
- Salisbury Advertiser and Eastern Shoreman
- Snow-Hill Messenger
- Snow-Hill Messenger and Worcester County Advertiser
- Wicomico News
- Worcester Banner
- Worcester Sentinel, and Farmers' and Mechanics' Shield
Slaves and Free African Americans, Reports and opinions from the newspapers of Hagerstown, Washington County, and Cumberland, Allegany County, Maryland, 1790 to 1864
Somerset - A Digital Collection
- Crisfield Post
- Crisfield Times
- Marylander and Herald
- Somerset Herald
- Village Herald
County and Library Collections:
Montgomery County Public Libraries
Queen Anne's County
Queen Anne's County Library
- Bay Times
- Kent Island Bay Times
- Queen Annes Record Observer
- Queens Anne's Record Observer
- Record Observer
Worcester County Library
- Berlin Advance
- Democratic Advocate
- Democratic Messenger
- Democratic Messenger and the Pocomoke City Messenger
- Eastern Shore Times
- Eastern Shoreman
- Evening Times
- Ledger Enterprise
- Peninsula Ledger
- Peninsula Press
- Record And Gazette
- Record And Gazette
- Salisbury Times
- Salisbury Times And The Wicomico News
- Snow Hill Messenger
- Snow Hill Messenger and Worcester County Advertiser
- St Martins Church Register
- Village Herald
- Worcester Advocate
- Worcester County Messenger
- Worcester County Shield
- Worcester County Shield And Farmers Manual
- Worcester Democrat
- Worcester Democrat And The Ledger Enterprise
- Worcester Shield
- Worcester Shield And Spirit Of The Whig Press
Small Town Papers
- The Hancock News Hancock, Maryland
The Olden Times - Maryland
Other Free Sites:
- American and Commercial Advertiser
- Afro American
- Afro American
- Afro American
- Afro American Ledger
- American & Commercial Advertiser
- American & Commercial Daily Advertiser
- Baltimore American and Commercial Advertiser
- American & Daily Advertiser
- Baltimore Afro-American
- Baltimore American
- Baltimore Bee
- Baltimore Morning Herald
- Baltimore Sunday Herald
- Sunday Herald
- The American Farmer
- The Statesman
- Weekly Herald
- Lutheran Observer
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 31 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Maryland Newspapers
There are currently 176 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - Maryland Newspapers
There are currently 70 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - Maryland
There are currently 42 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - Maryland.
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Two of my favorites:
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to visit the Historic Maryland Newspapers Project site from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online newspaper availability.
Please note - even more may be available via a local or state library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.