I love old photos, whether they are portraits of my ancestors or historical photos for the period when they lived. And it is important to a complete research that one attempts to understand the environment that surrounds our ancestors' lives if one wants to truly appreciate what they went through.
So where can they be found? Obviously the best resource is our own photo albums and those that our relatives possess. But what about other resources? Many archives, historical societies, libraries and genealogical societies have collections of old photos. And in the past few years there has been a massive movement towards making these historical photo collections available online. Some have search capabilities where you can actually put in a surname or a location, name of a building or historical event and find what is available.
For the state of Maine, what collections are available for you to browse and/or search online? Here is a list of sites to start with. Please feel free to add in the comments other online resources that you might be aware of in the state.
Please be aware that there may be very strict rules regarding downloading or other use of the images that you may find. Copyright and other legal protections may be in force. Make sure that you read the limitations of use for any image that you find in these collections and wish to download and/or copy. It is your responsibility to adhere to the rules for all of these collections.
Please note that links to these sites may change in the future. The author (me) will not be constantly checking and updating these links, so if you find a broken link, please use your favorite search engine to locate the new link.
(Updated November, 2018; recently added links are in BOLD)
- Beatrix Farrand Society - Bar Harbor
- Biddeford Photo Archive
- Brewer Images
- Camden Public Library Photo Archive
- Camden Public Library Photo Collection
- Camden Public Library - Camden
- Caribou Photographs
- Churchill County Museum and Archives Photo Collection
- Civil War Era Soldiers' Portraits
- Franco-American Collection at the University of Southern Maine - Lewiston
- Grand Isle Archived Photos
- Hebron Academy - Hebron
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Online Catalog
- Lovell Historical Society - Lovell
- Maine Historic Preservation Commission Photographic Collection
- Maine Historical Society - Portland
- Maine Memory Network
- Maine Notables
- McArthur Public Library - Biddeford
- Milo Historical Society - Milo
- Mount Desert Island Historical Society - Mount Desert
- National Archives - Digital Photograph Collections
- Old Canada Road Historical Society - Bingham
- Owls Head Transportation Museum - Owls Head
- Penobscot Marine Museum
- Penobscot Marine Museum - Searsport
- Smithsonian Images
- South Portland Photo Archive
- Swan's Island Educational Society - Swans Island
- University of Maine Digital Collections
- Vintage Maine Images
- Vintage Postcards
- Westbrook Photos
- Winthrop Digital Gallery
For historic photos from other states as well as articles about photo research, please visit the Photos page.
Good luck and Happy Hunting!