There are over 6,000 newspapers that have been published in the Sunflower State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. So go for it - find your Kansas ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated January, 2016)
Chronicling America - Kansas Newspapers
- Abilene 1883-1888 The Abilene reflector.
- Abilene 1888-1935 Abilene weekly reflector.
- Atchison 1855-1858 Squatter sovereign.
- Baxter Springs 1882-1919 Baxter Springs news.
- Chanute 1897-1913 The Chanute times.
- Colby 1885-1891 Thomas County cat.
- Dodge City 1876-1892 Dodge City times.
- Dodge City 1889-1910 The Globe-republican.
- Emporia 1857-1859 The Kanzas news.
- Emporia 1859-1881 The Emporia news.
- Emporia 1881-1889 The Emporia weekly news.
- Garnett 1890-1905 Kansas agitator.
- Goodland 1891-1907 The Goodland republic.
- Great Bend 1885-1915 Barton County democrat.
- Hays 1888-1908 Free press.
- Hays 1908-1924 The Hays free press.
- Hutchinson 1895-1902 Hutchinson gazette.
- Iola 1875-1902 The Iola register.
- Junction City 1861-1864 The Smoky Hill and Republican union.
- Kinsley 1890-1940 The Kinsley graphic.
- Leavenworth 1854-1858 Kansas weekly herald.
- Leavenworth 1870-1880 The Leavenworth weekly times.
- Liberal 1911-1924 The Liberal democrat.
- Marysville 1862-1866 The Big blue union.
- Meade 1900-1918 Meade County news.
- Medicine Lodge 1880-current Barbour County index.
- Meriden 1889-1892 The advocate.
- Oskaloosa 1860-1874 The independent.
- Phillipsburg 1882-1905 Phillipsburg herald.
- Prairie City 185?-18?? Freeman's champion.
- Salina 1871-1893 The Saline County journal.
- Topeka 1892-1894 The advocate and Topeka tribune.
- Topeka 1894-1897 The advocate.
- Topeka 1897-1899 The Advocate and news.
- Topeka, Kan., 1892-1980 The Topeka State journal.
- Troy 1872-1918 The Weekly Kansas chief.
- Wakarusa 1854-1860 The Kansas herald of freedom.
- WaKeeney 1885-current Western Kansas world.
- Wellington 1890-1917 People's voice.
- White Cloud 1857-1872 White Cloud Kansas chief.
- Wichita 1872-1883 The Wichita city eagle.
- Wichita 1883-1888 Wichita eagle.
- Wichita 1884-1884 The daily eagle.
- Wichita 1884-1886 Wichita daily eagle.
- Wichita 1886-1890 Wichita eagle.
- Wichita 1890-1906 The Wichita daily eagle.
Belleville Public Library Newspaper Archives 1876-2005
- Belleville Agenda Times
- Belleville Baptist Visitor
- Belleville Christian
- Belleville County Teacher
- Belleville Democrat
- Belleville Freeman
- Belleville High School Booster
- Belleville Kansas Enterprise
- Belleville Republic
- Belleville Republic County Democrat
- Belleville Republic County Freeman
- Belleville Republic County Press
- Belleville Telescope
- Belleville Telescope And Belleville Freeman
- Belleville Weekly Record
- Cuba Advocate
- Cuba Alliance Sun
- Cuba Daylight
- Cuba Farmer Alliance
- Cuba Pilot
- Cuba Record
- Cuba Republic County Pilot
- Cuba Tribune
- Cuba Union
- Cuba Union Pilot
- Elk Gods Messenger
- Kackley Evangelistic War Cry
- Kackley Herald Of Pentecost
- Kackley Leader
- Kackley Western Record
- Munden Bulldogs Bark
- Munden Press
- Narka Bazoo
- Narka News
- Pentecostal Holiness Faith And Gods Messenger
- Republic Advertiser
- Republic City News
- Republic County Chief
- Republic County Independent
- Republic County Journal
- Republic County News
- Scandia High News
- Scandia Independent
- Scandia Journal
- Scandia Republic
- Svenskens Rost
- Warwick Leader
Kansas Memory 1850-1987 (Clippings Only)
Kansas Digital Newspapers - collaboration with newspapers.com for Kansas residents only
Fort Hays State University Kansas Digital Newspapers
Oakley Public Library
Waterville Public Library
- Waterville Telegraph
- The Telegraph
- Parish Pages
- Blue Valley Telegraph
- Frankfort Index
- Blue Valley Clipper
- Blue Rapids Times
Dorothy Bramlage Public Library
- Evening Kansas-Republican
- Zur Heimath
- The Halstead Independent
- The Newton Republican
- Newton Kansas
- The Newton Democrat
- Newton Anzeiger
- Newton Republican
- The Kansas Chronicle
- The Newton Weekly Journal
Newton Public Library
Lyon County Library
- Northern Lyon County Journal
- Admire News
- Allen Enterprise
- Northern Star
- Admire Journal
- Allen Tidings
- Allen Journal
- Weekly Herald
- Emporia Times
- Admire City Free Press
- Allen Herald
- Admire Independent
- Lyon County Journal
- Admire Free Press
Peabody Township Library
- The Peabody Gazette-Herald
- Gazette Bulletin
- The Peabody Gazette
- Peabody Gazette
- The Peabody Herald
- Marion County Record
Independence Public Library
Osborne Public Library
- Osborne County Farmer
- Osborne County News
- The Osborne County Farmer
- Portis Independent
- Natoma Independent
- The Alton Empire
- Osborne Farmer Journal
- Western Empire
- The Downs Chief
- Portis Patriot
Wamego Public Library
- Wamego Reporter
- Wamego Times
- Kansas Agriculturist
- Louisville Lyre
- Wamego Tribune
- Pottawatomie Gazette
- Kansas Reporter
- Pottawatomie County Times
- Wamego Blade
- Weekly Kansas Valley
- Wamego Semi Weekly Tribune
- Kansas Valley
- Wamego Weekly Tribune
- Kansas Agriculturalist
- Tribune Extra
- Kansas Weekly Valley
Plainville Memorial Library
- Plainville Times
- Plainville Gazette
- The Plainville Times
- The Plainville Gazette
- Plainville Echo
- The Plainville Press
- The Plainville South Side Gazette
- Rooks County Record
- The Plainville Echo
Stevens County Library
- The Hugoton Hermes
- Hugoton Hermes
- The Hugo Hermes
- Woodsdale Sentinel
- The Voorhees Vindicator
- Woodsdale Democrat
- Stevens County Tribune
- Stevens County Sentinel
- The Hermes
- The Hugo Weekly Herald
Small Town Papers
- The Courtland Journal Courtland, Kansas
- The Johnson Pioneer Johnson, Kansas
- The Kiowa News Kiowa, Kansas
- The Osage County Herald-Chronicle Burlingame, Kansas
- The Oskaloosa Independent Valley Falls, Kansas
- The Prairie Post White City, Kansas
- The Vindicator Valley Falls, Kansas
- The Wabaunsee County Signal-Enterprise Alma, Kansas
- Western Kansas World WaKeeney, Kansas
- The Western Star Coldwater, Kansas
Other Free Sites:
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive.
AlmaBurlingameColdwaterCourtlandFort ScottJohnsonJunction CityKiowaLawrence
- Daily Herald and Tribune
- Daily Herald-Tribune
- Daily Kansas Tribune
- Daily Morning Tribune
- Daily Record
- Daily World
- Jeffersonian Gazette
- Kansas Daily Tribune
- Kansas Weekly Gazette
- Lawrence Daily Gazette
- Lawrence Daily Journal
- Lawrence Daily World
- Lawrence Gazette
- Lawrence Journal
- Lawrence Journal-Tribune
- Lawrence Journal-World
- Lawrence Weekly Journal
- Lawrence Weekly World
- Republican Daily Journal
- Weekly Record
- Western Home Journal
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 32 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Kansas Newspapers
There are currently 133 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - Kansas Newspapers
There are currently 110 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - Kansas
There are currently 160 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - Kansas. Also check out the Kansas Digital Newspapers site regarding the partnership with newspapers.com and those newspapers that are free to Kansas residents.
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Two of my favorites:
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to visit the Kansas Digital Newspapers site, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to newspaper projects.
Please note - even more may be available via a local library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.