There are almost 4,000 newspapers that have been published in the Hawkeye State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your Iowa ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated April, 2016)
Chronicling America - Iowa
- Cresco, Howard County, Iowa, 1895-1913 Twice-a-week plain dealer.
- Cresco, Howard County, Iowa, 1913-1945 Cresco plain dealer.
- Davenport, Iowa, 186?-1868 Der Demokrat.
- Davenport, Iowa, 186?-1918 Der tägliche Demokrat.
- Denison, Iowa, 1867-current The Denison review.
- Des Moines, Iowa, 1894-1916 Iowa state bystander.
- Des Moines, Iowa, 1916-1922 The bystander.
- Keokuk, Iowa, 1855-1916 The daily Gate City.
- Keokuk, Iowa, 1916-1922 The daily Gate City and constitution-Democrat.
- Leon, Iowa, 1887-1930 The Leon reporter.
- Manchester, Iowa, 1875-1930 Manchester Democrat.
- Marshalltown, Iowa, 1890-1923 Evening times-Republican.
- Ottumwa, Iowa, 1899-1903 Ottumwa semi-weekly courier.
- Ottumwa, Iowa, 1903-1916 Ottumwa tri-weekly courier.
- Ottumwa, Iowa, 1916-1918 Ottumwa semi-weekly courier.
- Webster City, Hamilton County, Iowa, 1884-1946 Webster City freeman.
County and Library Collections
Allamakee County Appanoose County Benton County
- Belle Plaine Community Library (10 newspapers)
- Benton County Historical Society (8 newspapers)
- Blairstown Public Library (3 newspapers)
- Schroeder Public Library (2 newspapers)
- Sumner Public Library (3 newspapers)
- Sumner Library (Bremer County) Newspaper Archives (1881-2008) (3 newspapers)
- Waverly Public Library (7 newspapers)
- Newell Public Library (8 newspapers)
- Storm Lake Public Library (22 newspapers)
- Sioux Rapids Bulletin Press (10 newspapers)
- Carroll Public Library (13 newspapers)
- Carroll County Library Archives (1884-2009) (11 newspapers)
- Coon Rapids Public Library (1 newspaper)
- Kirchner-French Memorial Library (3 newspapers)
- Spencer Public Library Archives (1884-1959) (6 newspapers)
- Elkader Public Library (10 newspapers)
- Garnavillo Historical Society (7 newspapers)
- Guttenberg Public Library (6 newspapers)
- Jones County Genealogical Society (20 newspapers)
- Ross & Elizabeth Baty Public Library, Monticello (3 newspapers)
- Cedar Rapids Public Library (20 newspapers)
- Cedar Rapids Library Archives (1857-1998) (75 newspapers)
- Coe College Newspaper Archive (1890- 2008) (6 newspapers)
- Marion Public Library (15 newspapers)
- Marion Public Library newspaper archives, 1837-2012 (84 newspapers)
- Mount Vernon and Lisbon (17 newspapers)
- Malvern Public Library (4 newspapers)
- Mills County Newspaper Archives (1864-2004) (12 newspapers)
- Glenwood Public Library Newspaper Archives (1864-1987) (11 newspapers)
- General N. B. Baker Library (5 newspapers)
- Hartley Public Library (6 newspapers)
- Paullina Public Library (4 newspapers)
- Sanborn Public Library (6 newspapers)
- Akron Public Library (3 newspapers)
- Kingsley Public Library (7 newspapers)
- Le Mars Public Library (18 newspapers)
- Remsen Public Library (10 newspapers)
- Plymouth County Newspaper Archives (35 newspapers)
- Altoona Newspapers (1890-2000) (4 newspapers)
- Johnston Historical Society Newspaper Archives (1971-2005) (7 newspapers)
- Libraries of Sioux County (25 newspapers)
- Sioux County Newspaper Archives (1872-2007) (26 newspapers)
- Granville Newspaper Archives (5 newspapers)
World War II Iowa Press Clippings 1940s
Museum of Danish America newspapers (1873–2012)
- Den Danske Pioneer
- Lauritz Melchior
Small Town Papers
- The Carlisle Citizen Carlisle, Iowa
- The Danish Villages Voice Elk Horn, Iowa
- Dayton Review Dayton, Iowa
- Decorah Journal Decorah, Iowa
- Decorah Public Opinion Decorah, Iowa
- Harlan News-Advertiser Harlan, Iowa
- Harlan Tribune Harlan, Iowa
- Highland Review Kalona, Iowa
- The Kalona News Kalona, Iowa
- The Lone Tree Reporter Lone Tree, Iowa
- Lyon County News, Inc. George, Iowa
- Lyon County Reporter Rock Rapids, Iowa
- Marion County News Pleasantville, Iowa
- Mount Vernon Hawkeye Record Unavailable, Iowa
- Moville Record Moville, Iowa
- N. Warren Town & County News Norwalk, Iowa
- The Northwood Anchor Northwood, Iowa
- The Ogden Reporter Ogden, Iowa
- Rock Rapids Review Rock Rapids, Iowa
- Sioux County Index Reporter Hull, Iowa
- The Sun Mt. Vernon, Iowa
- West Lyon Herald Inwood, Iowa
Other Free Sites:
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive.)
Akron Aurelia Boone Carlisle Carroll Cedar Falls Charles City Clinton
- Clinton Age
- Clinton Age
- Clinton Daily Age
- Clinton Evening News
- Clinton Mirror
- Clinton Morning Age
- Clinton Semi-Weekly Age
- Clinton Weekly Age
- Clinton Weekly News
- Sunday Morning Age
- Daily Morning News
- Davenport Daily Republican
- Davenport Democrat
- Davenport Gazette
- Davenport Weekly Democrat
- Davenport Weekly Republican
- Daily Dubuque Herald
- Dubuque Daily Herald
- Dubuque Daily Telegraph
- Dubuque Democratic Herald
- Dubuque Herald
- Dubuque Sunday Herald
- Dubuque Telegraph-Herald
- Dubuque Weekly Observer
- Iowa Age
- Telegraph-Herald and Times-Journal
- Weekly Express and Herald
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 196 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Iowa Newspapers
There are currently 67 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - Iowa Newspapers
There are currently hundreds of publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - Iowa
There are currently 227 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - Iowa.
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Two of my favorites:
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to visit the State Historical Society of Iowa site from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online newspaper availability.
Please note - even more may be available via a local or state library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet. And the University of Northern Iowa has An Online Guide: Iowa Historical Newspapers.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.