I love old photos, whether they are portraits of my ancestors or historical photos for the period when they lived. And it is important to a complete research that one attempts to understand the environment that surrounds our ancestors' lives if one wants to truly appreciate what they went through.
So where can they be found? Obviously the best resource is our own photo albums and those that our relatives possess. But what about other resources? Many archives, historical societies, libraries and genealogical societies have collections of old photos. And in the past few years there has been a massive movement towards making these historical photo collections available online. Some have search capabilities where you can actually put in a surname or a location, name of a building or historical event and find what is available.
For the state of Indiana, what collections are available for you to browse and/or search online? Here is a list of sites to start with. Please feel free to add in the comments other online resources that you might be aware of in the state.
Please be aware that there may be very strict rules regarding downloading or other use of the images that you may find. Copyright and other legal protections may be in force. Make sure that you read the limitations of use for any image that you find in these collections and wish to download and/or copy. It is your responsibility to adhere to the rules for all of these collections.
Please note that links to these sites may change in the future. The author (me) will not be constantly checking and updating these links, so if you find a broken link, please use your favorite search engine to locate the new link.
(Updated December, 2018; recently added links are in BOLD)
- Allen County Community Album
- Columbus Historic Photos
- Daviess County Historical Society - Washington
- Evansville Photography Gallery
- Historic Bremen Photos
- Historic Columbus
- Hoosier Recollections Photo Albums
- Howard County Images
- Howard County Photo Gallery
- Huntington Historical Photographs
- Indiana Album
- Indiana Album, Inc. - Indianapolis
- Indiana Historical Society - Digital Images
- Indiana University - Image Collections Online
- Indiana University Digital Collections
- Indiana Memory
- Indianapolis Public Library Digital Collections
- Jefferson County Historical Photographs
- Knox County Pictures
- LaPorte County "Old Time Family Photos"
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Online Catalog
- Michigan City Photos
- Minnetrista Cultural Foundation - Muncie
- Mishawaka-Penn-Harris Public Library - Mishawaka
- Monroe County Historical Museum - Bloomington
- National Archives - Digital Photograph Collections
- Near Eastside Indianapolis Historical Photos
- Near Eastside Indianapolis History Photographs
- New Albany Historic Photos
- New Albany Photo Gallery
- Parke County Photos
- Plainfield-Guilford Township Public Library Photograph Collection
- Portage Community Photo Albums
- Porter County Historical Images
- Richmond and Wayne County Photos
- Saint Joseph County Photos
- Smithsonian Images
- SullivanMunce Cultural Center - Zionsville
- Switzerland County Photo Album
- Tippecanoe County Family Photos
- Tippecanoe County Historical Society - Lafayette
- Valparaiso Historic Photographs
- Vermillion County Historic Photographs
- Vintage Indianapolis Photos
- Wabash Valley Visions and Voices
- Westchester Township History Museum - Chesterton
- William H Willennar Genealogy Center - Auburn
For historic photos from other states as well as articles about photo research, please visit the Photos page.
Good luck and Happy Hunting!