There are over 8.000 newspapers that have been published in the Prairie State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are quite a few that are indeed available. So go for it - find your Illinois ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
Chronicling America - Illinois Newspapers
- Cairo 1868-1870 The Cairo evening bulletin.
- Cairo 1870-1872 The Cairo daily bulletin.
- Cairo 1872-1878 The Cairo bulletin.
- Cairo 1878-1??? The daily Cairo bulletin.
- Chicago 1889-19?? Chicago eagle.
- Chicago 1911-1917 The day book.
- Juliet 1844-1??? Juliet signal.
- Ottawa 1840-1841 The Illinois free trader.
- Ottawa 1841-1843 The Illinois free trader and LaSalle County commercial advertiser.
- Ottawa 1843-1916 The Ottawa free trader.
- Rock Island 1861-1871 The evening Argus.
- Rock Island 1871-1872 Rock Island Argus.
- Rock Island 1872-1873 The Rock Island daily Argus.
- Rock Island 1873-1877 The daily Argus.
- Rock Island 1877-1885 The Rock Island Argus.
- Rock Island 1886-1893 Rock Island daily Argus.
- Rock Island 1893-1920 Rock Island Argus.
- Saint Paul, Minn., 1889-19?? The Appeal.
- Saint Paul, Minn., 1885-18?? Western appeal.
- Salt Lake City, Utah, 1895-19?? The broad ax.
Farm, Field and Fireside Collection - University of Illinois
- Banker Farmer 1 December 1913 - 1 February 1927 (158 issues)
- Berkshire World and Cornbelt Stockman 1 January 1910 - 1 January 1926 (197 issues)
- Better Farming 1 May 1913 - 1 March 1925 (136 issues)
- Chicago Livestock World 1 January 1902 - 22 June 1917 (4716 issues)
- Chicago Packer 13 April 1907 - 17 June 1939 (1621 issues)
- Farmers' Review 1 September 1879 - 25 May 1918 (1907 issues)
- Farmers Voice 1 January 1898 - 15 May 1913 (423 issues)
- Farmers' Weekly Review 24 April 1929 - 31 March 2011 (4240 issues)
- Farmer's Wife 1 January 1906 - 1 April 1939 (399 issues)
- Farm, Field, and Fireside 1 February 1884 - 22 September 1906 (559 issues)
- Farm, Field, and Stockman 1 January 1885 - 26 November 1887 (106 issues)
- Farm Home 1 August 1899 - 1 June 1920 (190 issues)
- Farm Press 1 October 1906 - 1 April 1913 (70 issues)
- Illinois Farmer 1 January 1856 - 1 October 1864 (102 issues)
- Ohio Farmer 5 January 1907 - 30 December 1922 (835 issues)
- Lancaster Farming 4 November 1955 - 29 October 1983 (1382 issues)
- National Rural and Family Magazine 3 November 1898 - 22 February 1900 (69 issues)
- Prairie Farmer 1 January 1841 - 11 January 1941 (2476 issues)
- Wallace's Farmer 7 January 1898 - 16 December 1950 (2189 issues)
- Western Rural 4 January 1868 - 15 September 1883 (575 issues)
- Western Rural and American Stockman 25 September 1879 - 2 August 1894 (240 issues)
- Western Rural and Livestock Weekly 2 January 1896 - 27 October 1898 (147 issues)
Illinois Civil War Newspapers
Illinois Digital Newspaper Collection
- American Eagle
- Banker Farmer
- Berkshire World and Cornbelt Stockman
- Better Farming
- Chicago Eagle
- Chicago Livestock World
- Chicago Packer
- Daily Illini
- Daily Pantagraph
- F&M College Reporter
- Farm Home
- Farm Press
- Farm, Field, and Fireside
- Farm, Field, and Stockman
- Farmer's Wife
- Farmers Voice
- Farmers' Review
- Farmers' Weekly Review
- Illinois Farmer
- Juliet Signal
- Lancaster Farming
- Lincoln News
- National Rural and Family Magazine
- New York Clipper
- Ohio Farmer
- Prairie Farmer
- Sangamo Journal / Illinois State Journal
- The Broad Ax
- The Cairo Bulletin
- The Day Book
- The Ottawa Free Trader
- The Rock Island Argus
- True Republican
- Urbana Daily Courier
- Vaudeville News
- Wallace's Farmer
- Weekly Gettysburgian
- Western Rural and American Stockman
- Western Rural and Livestock Weekly
- Western Rural
Illinois Google Newspaper Archive Listings
Quincy Historical Newspaper Archive
- Quincy Daily Journal
- Quincy Daily Whig
- Quincy Daily Herald
- Quincy Morning Whig
- Illinois Bounty Land Register
- Quincy Whig
- Quincy Herald
- Quincy Whig-Republican
Sterling Newspaper Archive
- Daily Gazette
- Evening Gazette
- Republican and Gazette
- Sauk Valley Sunday
- Sterling Daily Gazette
- Sterling Evening Gazette
- Sterling Gazette
- Sterling Great Northwestern Fair
- Sterling Republican Gazette
- Sterling Standard
- Sterling Times
- The Earlville Leader
- The Earlville Post
- Earlville Leader
- The Earlville Gazette
- Earlville Gazette
- LaSalle County Gazette Express (157)
Beardstown Houston Memorial Library
Bellwood Public Library
Brimfield Public Library
Forest Park Public Library
Galva Public Library
Geneseo Public Library
- Geneseo Republic
- The Geneseo Republic
- The Henry County News
- Geneseo Republic And Henry County News
- The Union Advocate
- Henry County News
- The Sun
- Geneseo Weekly Sun
- The Geneseo Journal
- The Geneseo News
- The Geneseo Enterprise
- The Henry County Arena
- The People's Union Mission
- Geneseo Daily Arena
- The Standard
Henry Public Library
- Henry News-Republican
- Henry News Republican
- Henry Republican
- The Henry Republican
- Marshall County Republican
- Henry Current News
- Henry Weekly Courier
- Marshall County Telegraph
- Henry Courier
Harvard Diggins Library
- Harvard Herald
- The Harvard Herald
- The Harvard Herald and Independent
- Harvard Independent
- The News Bulletin
- The Harvard Independent
- Harvard Herald Independent
Marshall Public Library
- Clark County Democrat
- Clark County Herald
- Marshall Independent
- The Marshall Herald
- Marshall Herald
- Marshall Advocate
- The Clark County Herald
- Marshall Messenger
- The Marshall Republican
- The Marshall Weekly Messenger
Midlothian Public Library
- Midlothian-Bremen Messenger
- Midlothian Bremen Messenger
- Bremen Township News Record
- Bremen Township Rooster
- Posen Times
- Midlothian Messenger
Peoria Heights Public Library
Talcott Free Library
Toulon Public Library
Other Free Sites:
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive.
- American Jewess
- Broad Ax
- Chicago Examiner
- Chicago Foreign Language Press Survey
- The Chicagoan magazine
- Daily Worker
- Dziennik Zwiazkowy
- Jewish Sentinel
- Chicago Eagle
- The Day Book
- Illinois Free Trader
- Ottawa Free Trader
- The Illinois Free Trader and LaSalle County Commercial Advertiser
- The Illinois Free Trader
- The Ottawa Free Trader
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 95 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Illinois Newspapers
There are currently 357 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - Illinois Newspapers
There are currently about 300 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - Illinois
There are currently 121 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - Illinois
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Two of my favorites:
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to check out the University of Illinois Newspapers Database site, which can tell you what is happening in the state with regard to all the newspapers that are listed in the database and whether they are available via paper, microfilm, and/or online.
Please note - even more may be available via a local library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.