I love old photos, whether they are portraits of my ancestors or historical photos for the period when they lived. And it is important to a complete research that one attempts to understand the environment that surrounds our ancestors' lives if one wants to truly appreciate what they went through.
So where can they be found? Obviously the best resource is our own photo albums and those that our relatives possess. But what about other resources? Many archives, historical societies, libraries and genealogical societies have collections of old photos. And in the past few years there has been a massive movement towards making these historical photo collections available online. Some have search capabilities where you can actually put in a surname or a location, name of a building or historical event and find what is available.
For the state of Georgia, what collections are available for you to browse and/or search online? Here is a list of sites to start with. Please feel free to add in the comments other online resources that you might be aware of in the state.
Please be aware that there may be very strict rules regarding downloading or other use of the images that you may find. Copyright and other legal protections may be in force. Make sure that you read the limitations of use for any image that you find in these collections and wish to download and/or copy. It is your responsibility to adhere to the rules for all of these collections.
Please note that links to these sites may change in the future. The author (me) will not be constantly checking and updating these links, so if you find a broken link, please use your favorite search engine to locate the new link.
(Updated December, 2018; recently added links are in BOLD)
- Athens-Clarke County Photos and Images
- Atlanta History Center Album
- Bartow History Museum - Cartersville
- Berrien County Historical Photos
- Booth Western Art Museum - Cartersville
- Chattooga County Photo History
- City of Savannah - Research Library & Municipal Archives - Savannah
- Clyde-Savannah Public Library's Historical Photographs
- Delta Flight Museum - Atlanta
- Digital Library of Georgia
- Documenting the American South
- Fayetteville Historic Photos
- Georgia Department of Transportation Historical Photos
- Georgia Historical Photographs
- Georgia Historical Society - Digital Image Catalog
- Georgia Historical Society - Library - Savannah
- Georgia State University Photographic Collections
- Georgia Tech Photograph Collections
- Georgia's Virtual Vault
- Gwinnett Historical Society Photo Gallery
- Hall County Georgia Historical Photograph Collection
- Historical Marietta Photos
- Hunting and Gathering - information on 19th and 20th Century Georgia photographers with links to images
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Online Catalog
- Living in Savannah Photo Scrapbooks
- Macon Historic Photos
- Morehouse College Photograph Collection
- Morris Brown College Photographs
- Museum of Contemporary Art of Georgia - Atlanta
- National Archives - Digital Photograph Collections
- New Georgia Encyclopedia
- Old Atlanta Photos
- Physician Assistant History Center - Johns Creek
- Rabun County Photo Gallery
- Roswell Historical Society - Roswell
- Salvation Army Southern Historical Center - Atlanta
- Savannah Historic Photos
- Smithsonian Images
- Spelman College Photograph Collection
- Thomasville History Center - Thomasville
- Troup County Archives & Historical Society - LaGrange
- Valdosta State University Photo Archives
- Vanishing Georgia Photographic Collections
For historic photos from other states as well as articles about photo research, please visit the Photos page.
Good luck and Happy Hunting!