- "There is a distinction between genealogy and family history." Frankly I don't care what you call it - getting hung up on a label is a waste of time. And a ridiculous argument.
- "There are no elite genealogists and there is no genealogy police." Uh - yes there are, and some are a bit snobby, but who cares? Ignore 'em. As my kids used to say - "They aren't the boss of you."
- "Inexperienced researchers are posting crappy trees on many of the Family Tree sites." So what? Don't use them then. And stop whining.
- "The database sites are making it too easy for bad trees to be posted." I have a clue for you - they don't care. They market to the general public and they don't expand their customer base by marketing to experienced folks who are their customer already.
- 'Every researcher will come up against a brick wall." I am here to tell you that there is no such thing as a brick wall. That is a term with a negative connotation that does not exist (except maybe in your head). Just research more - that is all you need to do. Persistence is the key.
- "People are changing dates in my tree" This one kills me. If you don't want people to change dates in YOUR tree - then do not use the One World Tree sites that are out there. Problem solved. Oh, and quit whining.
- "You have to be a serious genealogist" - this is one that REALLY kills me. What does serious have to do with it? I guess I won't laugh hysterically when I find my great great great grandmothers marriage date then. I've written about this before and will say no more. A stupid term - "serious genealogist."
So there are just a few of the topics that have been talked about recently.
- Just go find your ancestors.
- Don't read all this BS as mentioned above and if you do - don't worry about it.
- Learn and apply the Genealogy Proof Standard.
- Cite your sources.
- Have fun.