There are over 9,000 newspapers that have been published in the Golden State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your California ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated December, 2016)
Chronicling America - California
- El Centro 1906-1907 Imperial Valley press and the Imperial press.
- El Centro 1907-current Imperial Valley press.
- Imperial 1901-1901 Imperial press.
- Imperial 1903-1906 The Imperial press.
- Imperial, San Diego County 1901-1903 Imperial press and farmer.
- Jackson, Amador County 1875-19?? Amador ledger.
- Llano 191?-1937 The Llano colonist
- Los Angeles 1873-1876 Los Angeles daily herald.
- Los Angeles 1876-1884 Daily Los Angeles herald [microform].
- Los Angeles 1884-1890 Los Angeles daily herald.
- Los Angeles 1890-1893 Los Angeles herald.
- Los Angeles 1893-1900 The herald [microform].
- Los Angeles 1900-1911 Los Angeles herald [microform].
- Sacramento 1875-1891 Sacramento daily record-union.
- Sacramento 1891-1903 The record-union.
- San Francisco 1878-1895 The morning call.
- San Francisco 1895-1913 The San Francisco call.
- San Francisco 1906-1906 The Call-chronicle-examiner.
- San Francisco 1913-1929 The San Francisco call and post.
California Digital Newspapers Collection 1846-present
- Amador Ledger (Jackson, 1900-1911)
- Antelope Valley Political Observer (Palmdale, 2010-2012)
- Beach and Bay Press (San Diego, 2007-2010)
- Belvedere Citizen / Eastside Journal (Los Angeles, 1980)
- Black Voice News (Riverside, 2006)
- California Crusader News (Los Angeles, 2010)
- California Farmer and Journal of Useful Sciences (San Francisco, 1855-1880)
- California Star & Californian (San Francisco, 1848)
- California Star (San Francisco, 1847-1848)
- Californian (Monterey, 1846-1848)
- Coronado Tent City Daily Program (Coronado, 1903)
- Corsair (Santa Monica, 1929-2011)
- Daily Alta California (San Francisco, 1849-1891)
- Desert Sun (Palm Springs, 1944-1973)
- Eagle Rock Advertiser (Eagle Rock, 1933)
- Eagle Rock Sentinel (Eagle Rock, 1910-1985)
- Eastside Journal / Belvedere Citizen (Los Angeles, 1980)
- El Sereno Star (Los Angeles, 1964)
- Elevator (San Francisco, 1865-1898)
- Highland Park Herald (Highland Park, Los Angeles, 1906-1907)
- Highland Park News-Herald & Journal (Highland Park, Los Angeles, 1963-1988)
- Highland Park Post-Dispatch (Highland Park, Los Angeles, 1941-1942)
- Imperial Valley Press (Imperial, 1901-1911)
- LA Downtown News (Los Angeles, 2011-2012)
- La Jolla Village News Readers Choice Awards (San Diego, 2009)
- La Jolla Village News (San Diego, 2007)
- Livermore Herald (Livermore, 1877-1899)
- Livermore Journal (Livermore, 1920-1933)
- Lompoc Journal (Santa Barbara, 1894-1918)
- Los Angeles Herald (Los Angeles, 1873-1910)
- Los Angeles Star (Los Angeles, 1851-1864)
- Marinscope (Sausalito, 2008)
- Mariposa Gazette (Mariposa, 1861-1922)
- Marysville Daily Appeal (Marysville, 1860-1876)
- Marysville Daily Herald (Marysville, 1850-1858)
- Mountain Echo (Fall River Mills, 2011)
- Occidental (Los Angeles, 1952-1953)
- Pacific Appeal (San Francisco, 1862-1880)
- Pacific Rural Press (San Francisco, 1871-1922)
- Peninsula Beacon (San Diego, 1999-2010)
- Placer Times (Sacramento, 1849-1850)
- Sacramento Daily Union (Sacramento, 1851-1899)
- Sacramento Transcript (Sacramento, 1850-1851)
- San Diego Downtown News (San Diego, 2009)
- San Francisco Call (San Francisco, 1890-1913)
- Santa Cruz Sentinel (Santa Cruz, 2008-2010)
- Sausalito News (Sausalito, 1885-1957)
- South Pasadena Journal (South Pasadena, 1988)
- Trinity Journal (Weaverville, 2008)
- Tulare County Record (Visalia, 1859)
- Vestkusten (San Francisco, 1906-1916)
- Visalia Weekly Delta (Visalia, 1859-1861)
- Weekly Alta California (San Francisco, 1849)
- Wide West (San Francisco, 1854-1858)
Covina Public Library Archives
Historical Mexican and Mexican American Press
Neighborhood Newspapers of San Francisco
- El Tecolote
- North Mission News
- Potrero View
- Glen Park News
- Glen Park Perspective
- Richmond ReView
- Tenderloin Times
- Noe Valley Voice
- New Bernal Journal
Palo Alto Newspaper Collection
- Palo Alto Live Oak (10/28/1896–1903)
- Palo Alto Press (1901–1902)
- Palo Altan (1/5/1906–12/28/1906)
- Mayfield Enterprise (3/5/1870–1906)
- The Palo Alto Times (1893-)
Portuguese-American Digital Newspaper Collection 1919-1973)
Santa Cruz Public Library Clipping Index
Small Town Papers
- Beverly Hills Weekly Beverly Hills, California
- The Catalina Islander Avalon, California
- Chester Progressive Chester, California
- Cloverdale Reveille Cloverdale, California
- Feather River Bulletin Quincy, California
- The Foothills Sun-Gazette Exeter, California
- The Gridley Herald Gridley, California
- Independent Coast Observer Gualala, California
- Indian Valley Record Greenville, California
- The Intermountain News Burney, California
- The Julian News Julian, California
- Lassen County Times Susanville, California
- Portola Reporter Portola, California
- Westwood PinePress Westwood, California
Torrance Newspaper Archives (1913- 1969)
- Torrance Press
- Torrance Herald
Whittier Public Library Newspaper Collection
- Whittier Daily News
- Whittier Register
- Whittier News
Assorted 20th Century Newspaper Clippings, Oviatt Library, CSU Northridge
Old Fulton Postcards
- Los Angeles CA California Eagle 1914-1963
- Bridgeport California Chronicle Union 1890 -1930
- San Francisco CA Pacific Appeal 1862
- San Francisco CA Elevator 1848
California Information File - Indexes
- San Francisco Newspapers Index (1904-1949)
- San Francisco Chronicle Index (1950-1980)
San Leandro Public Library Newspapers (Index)
- San Leandro Journal
- San Leandro Times
San Mateo County Genealogical Society (Index)
- Obituary index (1960's–2011)
- San Mateo Times Gazette BMD index (1859–1899)
Other Free Sites:
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive.)
- Alvarado Seen Through Newspapers and Books (Transcriptions)
- Bakersfield Californian
- California Oil Worker
- Daily Californian
- Kern County Californian
- Southern Californian
- Southern Californian and Kern County Weekly Courier
- Berkeley Daily Gazette
- Black Panther Party Community News Service 1967-1976
- Free Speech Movement Archives
- Arcadia Bulletin
- Arcadia Daily Tribune
- Arcadia Journal
- Arcadia Tribune
- California Eagle
- Charlotta Bass/California Eagle Photograph Collection (Photos only)
- East Los Angeles College Campus News
- El Clamor Publico
- La Opinion
- Los Angeles Daily News Negatives(Images only)
- Los Angeles Examiner Collection (Images only)
- Los Angeles Star/La Estrella de Los Angeles
- Los Angeles Times Photographic Archive (Photos only)
- Trojan Family Archive
- The Daily Trojan
- Journal and Argus
- Petaluma Argus
- Petaluma Daily Argus
- Petaluma Journal and Argus
- Petaluma Weekly Argus
- Chung Sai Yat Po
- The Lowell
- San Francisco News Call Bulletin Newspaper Photograph Archive (Photos only)
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 69 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - California Newspapers
There are currently 379 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - California Newspapers
There are currently over 200 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - California
There are currently 75 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - California.
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Two of my favorites (and the source for some of the above links):
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to visit the California Newspaper Project from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online and other format newspaper availability.
Please note - even more may be available via a local or state library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.