There are almost 2,000 newspapers that have been published in the Natural State - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your Arkansas ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
Arkansas History Commission Newspaper Collection (search only)
- Arkansas Gazette
- Arkansas Democrat
- Arkansas Traveler
- Northwest Arkansas Times
Obituary Central - Arkansas
Online Arkansas Newspapers - some have archives, some do not
- Arkansas Employment Register
- Atkins Chronicle
- Batesville Guard Online
- Cabot Star Herald
- Carlisle Independent
- El Dorado News Times
- Gurdon Times (Gurdon)
- Hot Springs Internet News
- Hot Springs Sentinel-Record
- Jonesboro Sun
- Little Rock Free Press
- Log Cabin Democrat (Conway)
- Lonoke Democrat
- Morning News of Northwest Arkansas
- Nashville News Online
- Nevada County Picayune (Prescott)
- North Little Rock Times Online
- Northwest Arkansas News Online - Benton County Daily Record
- Northwest Arkansas Times
- Southwest Times Record
- Texarkana Gazette
Yell County Obits
- Dardanelle Post Dispatch and other newspapers (1890's–2009)
- Yell County Record (1997–2010)
- Yell County Record and Dardanelle Post Dispatch (1899–2008)
Other Free Sites:
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive.
Available from Gale (requires library access in the State)
- Arkansas State Gazette (Little Rock)
- Arkansas Democrat (Little Rock)
- Arkansas Gazette (Little Rock)
- Morning Republican (Little Rock)
- Daily Fair Gazette (Little Rock)
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 14 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Arkansas Newspapers
There are currently 78 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - Arkansas
There are currently 28 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archives - Arkansas
There are currently 13 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - Arkansas
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Two of my favorites:
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to visit the Arkansas History Commission or University of Arkansas Library Newspaper Search sites, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to newspaper projects. They also have nice searchable databases for microfilm based collections throughout the state.
Please note - even more may be available via a local library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.