So based on the title of this post, I suspect that you are anxiously waiting for me to list about a dozen lousy blogs. Hey, I may be dumb, but not stupid. I like to think that this blog has a bit of an edge to it, so I hate to disappoint you, but there will be no such list. But below is a list of what I consider to be the characteristics of a lousy blog or blog post:
- Your page has two sidebars full of so much extraneous garbage, that it distracts me from your posts and stories.
- You have so much stuff that you are trying to sell, that it is obvious that you are not really interested in telling a story, but are more interested in making a few pennies from affiliate ads and/or Google ads, etc.
- Your blog posts about your family history are so full of dates and facts presented in a non understandable sequence that I am lost after the second paragraph.
- You use the word "I" at least twice in every sentence.
- You include no photos.
- You have spelling and grammar errors all over your posts.
- There is no flow to your writing.
- You write for yourself and not for your audience and that is obvious.
- You leave the reader puzzled at the end of the post as to why they just expended 3 to 5 minutes reading it.
- You use so many different colors and fonts that it distracts from the flow of the article.
- You don't respond/reply to comments or worse - you don't allow comments.
- You write in a condescending way about how all genealogy researchers should conduct themselves.
I am sure that there are many more, but these are the characteristics that turn me off.
And finally, since this blog is only 3 months old, I didn't expect it to show up on any best list, but it is certainly not on the "Worst" list either. And this I know to be true!