There are over 750 newspapers that have been published in The Last Frontier - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your Alaska ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated December, 2017)
Chronicling America - Alaska
- Douglas City, Alaska, 1898-1921 - Douglas Island news.
- Juneau, Alaska, 1912-1926 - The Alaska daily empire.
- Juneau, Alaska, 1921-1931 - The Stroller's weekly and Douglas Island news.
- Sitka, Alaska, 1908-1912 - The Thlinget.
- Skaguay [Skagway] Alaska, 1898-1899 - The daily Alaskan. [volume]
- Skaguay [Skagway] Alaska, 1898-1899 - The morning Alaskan.
- Skagway, Alaska, 1899-1904 - The daily morning Alaskan.
- Skagway, Alaska, 1904-1924 - The daily Alaskan.
Alaska Newspapers Index (1901–1999) (Index only)
- Alaska Citizen (1912–1920)
- Chena Herald (1904–1905)
- Fairbanks Daily News (1904–1975)
- Fairbanks Daily News Miner (3/23/1909)
- Fairbanks Daily Times (1904–1916)
- Fairbanks Weekly News (1903–1908)
- Hot Springs Echo (1907–1912)
- Juneau Empire (1992–1999)
- Nenana News (1916–1972)
- Northern Light (1906–1907)
- Rampart Miner (1901–1902)
- Tanana Daily Miner (1902–1906)
- Tanana Daily Star (1910–1915)
- Tanana Leader (1909–1910)
- Tanana Tribune (1907–1909)
- Yukon Press (1905–1906)
Petersburg Public Library (1913–1931)
- Petersburg Pilot
- Petersburg Press
- Petersburg Weekly Report
- The New Petersburg Press
- The Petersburg Press
- The Petersburg Herald
- The Progressive
Alaska Newspaper Project
- Alaska Railroad Record, 1916-1920
- The Esquimaux, 1866-1867
- Nenana News/Nenana Daily News, May 1918-July 1923
- Skaguay newspapers
Small Town Papers
- Southeast Alaska's Island News Thorne Bay, Alaska
For Obituary Indexes, transcriptions, and other death/obituary information from historic newspapers, please check out the Obituaries! Page
Other Free Sites:
Fairbanks Sitka Thorne Bay
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 19 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Alaska Newspapers
There are currently 31 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - Alaska Newspapers
There are currently 20 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - Alaska
There are currently 8 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - Alaska.
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Two of my favorites:
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to visit the Alaska Newspaper Project site from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online newspaper availability.
Please note - even more may be available via a local or state library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.