Alaska is one of the states that does not have a single central online state repository for searching historical newspapers, but now they use the Library of Congress Chronicling America site as a main site for searching old newspapers. There are several online newspapers on other sites and collections available on subscription sites. Below is a list of where the titles are stored and the link so that you can access them.
There are over 750 newspapers that have been published in The Last Frontier - certainly not all of them are searchable online. But there are several that are indeed available. So go for it - find your Alaska ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location.
(Updated May, 2018; recently added links are in BOLD)
Chronicling America - Alaska
- Douglas City, Alaska, 1898-1921 - Douglas Island news.
- Juneau, Alaska, 1912-1926 - The Alaska daily empire.
- Juneau, Alaska, 1921-1931 - The Stroller's weekly and Douglas Island news.
- Sitka, Alaska, 1908-1912 - The Thlinget.
- Skaguay [Skagway] Alaska, 1898-1899 - The daily Alaskan. [volume]
- Skaguay [Skagway] Alaska, 1898-1899 - The morning Alaskan.
- Skagway, Alaska, 1899-1904 - The daily morning Alaskan.
- Skagway, Alaska, 1904-1924 - The daily Alaskan.
- Valdez, Alaska, 1905-1918 - Valdez daily prospector.
- Valdez, Alaska, 1908-1912 - Valdez weekly prospector.
- Valdez, Alaska, 1902-1908 - The Alaska prospector.
Google News Archive
- Prince of Wales Island - Southeast Alaska's Island News
Alaska Newspapers Index (1901–1999) (Index only)
- Alaska Citizen (1912–1920)
- Chena Herald (1904–1905)
- Fairbanks Daily News (1904–1975)
- Fairbanks Daily News Miner (3/23/1909)
- Fairbanks Daily Times (1904–1916)
- Fairbanks Weekly News (1903–1908)
- Hot Springs Echo (1907–1912)
- Juneau Empire (1992–1999)
- Nenana News (1916–1972)
- Northern Light (1906–1907)
- Rampart Miner (1901–1902)
- Tanana Daily Miner (1902–1906)
- Tanana Daily Star (1910–1915)
- Tanana Leader (1909–1910)
- Tanana Tribune (1907–1909)
- Yukon Press (1905–1906)
Alaska Newspaper Project
- Alaska Railroad Record, 1916-1920
- The Esquimaux, 1866-1867
- Nenana News/Nenana Daily News, May 1918-July 1923
- Skaguay newspapers
County and Library Collections:
Petersburg Public Library (1913–1931)
- Petersburg Pilot
- Petersburg Press
- Petersburg Weekly Report
- The New Petersburg Press
- The Petersburg Press
- The Petersburg Herald
- The Progressive
University of Alaska - Anchorage
Small Town Papers
- Southeast Alaska's Island News Thorne Bay, Alaska
Newspaper Abstracts - Alaska
For Obituary Indexes, transcriptions, and other death/obituary information from historic newspapers, please check out the Obituaries Page
Other Free Sites:
Subscription or Pay Sites:
There are currently 19 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Ancestry - Alaska Newspapers
There are currently 33 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Genealogy Bank - Alaska Newspapers
There are currently 27 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspaper Archive - Alaska
There are currently 8 publications available at this site. See all the titles at Newspapers.com - Alaska.
You also need to visit the Alaska Newspaper Project site from time to time, which can tell you what is occurring in the state with regard to online newspaper availability.
Please note - even more may be available via a local or state library where a library card is required. And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspaper Links page on this website.