There are over 2.000 newspapers that have been published in the Yellowhammer State - certainly not all of them are searchable online - not by a long shot. But there are quite a few that are indeed available. So go for it - find your Alabama ancestors and all the interesting articles that capture the stories of their lives.
Please note that I have not always entered the dates that are included in the collections, as I suspect they will change as more items are digitized. Also I suspect that some of these links may change over time - so if there is a dead link - please use your favorite search engine to find their new location. Some are easier than others to navigate - I will leave you to try them and judge for yourself.
(Recent changes in the Google News Archive has diminished the capability to search newspapers published prior to 1970). A few of these below are in the Google News Archive. Some of the publications below are from neighboring states.
- Chronicling America: Alabama Newspapers (includes 4 newspapers)
- Alabama Citizen
- Avondale Sun
- Birmingham Newspapers (Includes 4 newspapers)
- Birmingham Public Library Digital Collections: Newspaper Clippings (clippings only)
Subscription or Pay Sites:
Genealogy Bank (by City)
- Age-Herald 7/1/1894 – 3/31/1901
- Labor Advocate 6/29/1895 – 12/20/1902
- Wide-Awake1/24/1900 – 1/24/1900
- Blakeley Sun 12/12/1818 – 6/2/1819
- Cahawba Press and Alabama Intelligencer 7/10/1819 – 12/30/1820
- Alabama Courier 3/19/1819 – 10/15/1819
- Mobile Register 10/22/1833 – 12/31/1992
- Alabama Staats-Zeitung 12/18/1913 – 2/8/1917
- Mobile Evening Telegraph 11/3/1864 – 11/3/1864
- Montgomery Advertise r5/11/1901 – 12/31/1922
- Daily Alabama Journal 4/14/1849 – 12/31/1853
- Daily Confederation 5/1/1858 – 7/17/1860
- Montgomery Enterprise1/26/1900 – 1/26/1900
- Halcyon 6/2/1818 – 11/27/1820
- Alabama Intelligencer and State Rights Expositor 3/2/1833 – 12/5/1835
- North Alabamian 11/17/1865 – 12/7/1866
Newspaper Archive (by City):
- Abbeville Star And Republican Banner (1801 - 1999)
- Anniston Anniston Star (1917 - 1974)
- Athens Athens Alabama Courier (1931 - 2012)
- Athens Athens News Courier (1968 - 2012)
- Athens Limestone Democrat (1937 - 1968)
- Cullman Cullman Banner (1937 - 1951)
- Cullman Cullman Democrat (1930 - 1951)
- Cullman Cullman Sourn Immigrant (1877 - 1878)
- Dothan Dothan Eagle (1908 - 1951)
- Fort Payne Fort Payne Times Journal (2007 - 2010)
- Fort Payne Times Journal (2009)
- Prattville Prattville Progress (1949)
- Rainsville Rainsville Weekly Post (2007)
Newspapers.com (by City):
- Indiana Progress 1959
- The Anniston Star 1929 - 1976
- The Dothan Eagle 1908 - 1951
Links to Follow:
There are several ways to keep up with new collections as they are digitized and made available online. Three of my favorites:
- Newspaper Cat - from the University of Florida
- Historical Newspapers Online from the University of Pennsylvania
- Historical U.S. Newspapers Online from Bowling Green State University
You also need to check out the Alabama Newspapers on Microfilm Database site, which can tell you what is happening in the state with regard to the newspapers that are available via microfilm.
Please note - even more may be available via a local library where a library card is required (some of which are ProQuest subscriptions). And of course there is always microfilm for those that have not been made available online as yet.
Good luck and happy hunting!
For more links for different states, provinces, and countries - please see the Newspapers! page on this website.