But that 20% is growing, and the amount of newspaper digitization projects are growing also. Whether they be commercial subscription sites, state wide projects, or small library digitization projects for just one newspaper, they all add up.
Here is a list of new digitization efforts that are either in progress or are recently completed. The link will take you to an article that describes in more detail the status of the project.
- Alabama - Online Civil War era news database presented by state archivist
- Arkansas - Cherokee newspapers digital archives in progress
- Barbados - Brock Professor aids in preserving the history of Barbados
- California - Library Exhibitions: ‘Aggie’ Front Pages and Vine to Wine
- California - Stanford’s Hoji Shinbun project digitizes prewar Japanese American newspapers
- California - Solana Beach looks to fund Community Grants in full
- California - Newspaper archives digitally preserved
- California - A digital window into our past
- California - Sonoma Valley Historical Society to scan early Sonoma newspapers.
- Florida - THE POST ARCHIVES
- Georgia - Georgia Southern’s student newspaper now available on Digital Commons
- Georgia - Historic Roman Catholic Diocese of Savannah newspapers available online
- Idaho - Curious Mind: Jerome library is digitally archiving the North Side News
- Illinois - Two Toulon historians make historical mark
- Masachusetts - Marlborough’s Brigham Trust awards grants for nonprofit programs
- Massachusetts - Search even more issues of old Andover newspapers online
- Massachusetts - Weymouth Public Libraries announces programs
- Massachusetts - Library Has New Resource For Woburn History Buffs
- Michigan - Gift of History: Oakland Press donates archives to Oakland University
- Missouri - Decades of the Light now available online
- Nebraska - AINSWORTH PUBLIC LIBRARY NOW HAS DIGITAL ARCHIVE OF LOCAL NEWSPAPERS
- New York - Auburn library adds several digital newspaper archives
- Newfoundland - Newspapers from 1917 donated to museum
- Ohio - The Reporter, Akron's African-American newspaper, is now online at Ohio Memory
- Ohio - Accessing the past in print: Bossard to offer digital newspapers online
- Ohio - Salem News pages from past now readily available
- Ontario - What happens to archives of community newspapers shut down in the Torstar-Postmedia deal?
- Pennsylvania - Urban Archives celebrates 50 years of preserving the city’s history
- Portugal - Pre-Anglican Lusitanian newspaper archive now online
- Rhode Island - Champlin grants leaves Cranston better off for '18
- South Carolina - Historic Newspapers of South Carolina puts 200 years of SC history online
- South Dakota - Four more state historic newspapers available online
- Tennessee - All I Want For Christmas Are Digitized Newspapers For 2018 - And Response
- Texas - Commerce Public Library receives sizable grant
- Washington - Historical Yakima newspapers donated to library
- Wyoming - Coe Library digitizes past newspapers
Hopefully the paper or location is in the area of your research!
I'm sure there are more projects underway - these are just some that have written articles about them.
If you know of more - please let us know in the comments.