But that 20% is growing, and the amount of newspaper digitization projects are growing also. Whether they be commercial subscription sites, state wide projects, or small library digitization projects for just one newspaper, they all add up.
Here is a list of new digitization efforts that are either in progress or are recently completed. The link will take you to an article that describes in more detail the status of the project.
Hopefully the paper or location is in the area of your research!
- Arizona - A century ago, news out of Laredo looked like this
- British Columbia - Digitized issues of Daily Colonist now cover Depression, war years
- British Columbia - Paper chase: How Newshound is bringing newspaper history to life
- British Columbia - Preserving Cranbrook’s history
- British Columbia - Museum Musings: The Whistler Question’s archive photos go digital
- Indiana - Dig into the past
- Indiana - Dig into the Past 2
- Italy - Late 19th Century Italian Newspaper Digitized by FSU Libraries
- Louisiana - Centenary College archives digitizes Louisiana Methodist newspaper
- Maine - Let us turn your laptop into a time machine
- Massachusetts - Preserving history: The Fairhaven Star could be digitized
- Minnesota - Historical grant helps digitize The Oracle
- Missouri - Scenic Regional Adds Gregory Library Collection — To System’s Online Catalog
- Montana - MHS hosts online newspapers
- New Jersey - Echoes-Sentinel archives now searchable online
- New Mexico - WSMR Digitizes 40 Years of Range Newspaper!!
- New York - NYU Tandon School Of Engineering Awarded Highly Competitive $260,000 NEH Grant To Digitize New York City Record
- New York - Extra! Extra! Read about our regional history
- North Carolina - New research tool is available at New Bern library
- Ohio - Westlake Porter Public Library digitizes the Observer
- Oregon - Now More Historic Newspapers from Independence, OR!
- South Dakota - Historic Kimball newspapers now available online
- Tennessee - News Sentinel archives to be digitized
- Texas - Library receives digitization grant
- Texas - City library digitally archiving newspapers on microfilm
- Texas - Ed & Hazel Richmond Library Welcomes Changes
- Texas - Winkler County Library Given $24,000 Grant to Digitize 80 Years Worth of Newspapers
I'm sure there are more projects underway - these are just some that have written articles about them.
If you know of more - please let us know in the comments.