But that 20% is growing, and the amount of newspaper digitization projects are growing also. Whether they be commercial subscription sites, state wide projects, or small library digitization projects for just one newspaper, they all add up.
Here is a list of new digitization efforts that are either in progress or are recently completed. Most are in the U.S., but there is one from Canada. The link will take you to an article that describes in more detail the status of the project.
- Arkansas - Arkansas State Archives participates in newspaper digitization project
- California - Laguna Woods History Center volunteers digitize 40 years of newspapers in 2 years
- California - Local history on display at library
- Florida - Welcome to the revolution! Tallahassee Democrat archives are open
- Illinois - Park Ridge Library Board Considers When Patrons Need Extra Hours
- Louisiana - 150th anniversary: American Press chronicling city's events for 122 years
- Michigan - Old news gets new interface: Volunteers preserve local history
- Michigan - Kezar Library archives to hold Romeo Observer artifacts
- Minnesota - From pulp to pixel: The Minneapolis Star Tribune has digitized every article since 1867
- Missouri - Gentry County Library’sDigital Historic Gentry County Newspaper Collection
- Missouri - History of Malden at your fingertips
- New Jersey - County awards grants
- New York - Grant to help county digitize old newspapers
- New York - Searching for Dan: Dan’s Papers 1960–1980 Will Soon Be Fully Searchable Online
- Ohio - WWI Sentinel-Tribune archive to debut at library
- Ohio - Community Foundation awards $180,000
- Oklahoma - Letter: Pryor Public Library offers archives, internet
- Ontario - The Catholic Register launches archive
- Pennsylvania - Historical society preserves centuries of county newspapers
- Pennsylvania - From the Freelance to the Daily Collegian
- Pennsylvania - Pottsville library receives equipment to digitize local history
- Virginia - String of Pearls: Get to know the Marion library's fourth branch
- Washington - Historic preservation agency whittles list of projects for funding
- Wisconsin -The Murphy Library Digital Collection at UW-L is now free to access online
Hopefully the paper or location is in the area of your research!
I'm sure there are more projects underway - these are just some that have written articles about them.
If you know of more - please let us know in the comments.