But that 20% is growing, and the amount of newspaper digitization projects are growing also. Whether they be commercial subscription sites, state wide projects, or small library digitization projects for just one newspaper, they all add up.
Here is a list of new digitization efforts that are either in progress or are recently completed. The link will take you to an article that describes in more detail the status of the project.
- Alaska - Alaska’s history made easier
- Arizona - Secretary of State and UA receive grant to continue digitizing Arizona’s newspapers
- California - Catholic press digital library highlighting Monitor during council era
- California - Historical Society digitizes 104 years of Ripon Record
- California - Sebastopol Times to be digitized
- Cuba - Digitally Preserving the Hennessey Collection
- Florida and Puerto Rico - With NEH grant, libraries preserve pages of the past
- Florida - More than a century of Fort Myers news, gossip, photos and more now online at newspaper site
- Idaho - Oakley's history tucked onto a flash drive
- Iowa - Mapleton library receives grant to digitize The Mapleton Press newspapers
- Iowa - BVU Archives receives grant from Historical Society of Iowa
- Missouri - Historical society's digital scanner dream comes true
- Nebraska - Older Gretna newspapers now available digitally
- New Jersey - Historical society seeks funds to digitize entire NJJN archive
- North Dakota - Historical society awarded grant to digitize newspapers
- Ohio - Kent State University digitizes 90 years of newspaper
- Ohio - Past and Future Meet in Dispatch Archives
- Ohio - Local history: Newspapers.com adds Beacon Journal archives, making research much easier
- Ohio - Our history: German-language newspapers once thrived in Cincinnati
- Oregon - Canyon Conversations: Stayton stands to get a refreshing look at history
- Texas - OA archives online, searchable at Newspapers.com
- Wisconsin - Family historians: Fox Lake Public Library offers digitized historic Fox Lake papers
Hopefully the paper or location is in the area of your research!
I'm sure there are more projects underway - these are just some that have written articles about them.
If you know of more - please let us know in the comments.